NCAA Football games

Mims44

Gonna try and get a collective opinion here from all you geniuses.

This isn't really an argumentative post, so i doubt I'll see many replies :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who liked playing college football games on console/PC. I was very upset when they discontinued the series due to lawsuits of using college players likenesses in their games... I don't play games hardly ever and college football comprises about 90% of my "gaming" time.

Has anyone read up on this? Is there any chance that we will see another college football video game made again?

It seems simple enough to me, take out player likenesses and keep the team names, stadiums, coaches, etc... but from the tiny bit I have read there is a lot of people saying that due to the legal problems it has caused we may not see a college football game again, for a long time if ever.

PS: I posted this here instead of the football or "other" section because I'm mainly looking for the legal answers, and not other fans/haters opinions.

Gonna try and get a collective opinion here from all you geniuses.

This isn't really an argumentative post, so i doubt I'll see many replies :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who liked playing college football games on console/PC. I was very upset when they discontinued the series due to lawsuits of using college players likenesses in their games... I don't play games hardly ever and college football comprises about 90% of my "gaming" time.

Has anyone read up on this? Is there any chance that we will see another college football video game made again?

It seems simple enough to me, take out player likenesses and keep the team names, stadiums, coaches, etc... but from the tiny bit I have read there is a lot of people saying that due to the legal problems it has caused we may not see a college football game again, for a long time if ever.

PS: I posted this here instead of the football or "other" section because I'm mainly looking for the legal answers, and not other fans/haters opinions.

I expected more backlash from all the fans but I never saw it which was surprising. I never saw petitions or anything to try and get the game continued. I loved to play it during the short weeks waiting for football to start. I doubt the game will ever be resurrected from the dead.

Mimzy, you're wrong, and you're stupid for being so wrong!

:P

I stopped playing the ncaa football stuff years ago, soon after my young nephew destroyed me one day. It was kinda fun to set up and get drawn into the " game day " experience of playing certain teams, but I never was able to annihilate our hated SEC rivals 90-0 , as was my desire, so I gave it up.

I've only casually followed the law suit stuff, and while I think everyone who appears in those games should get a % of the profit, upon their graduation, I've not lost any sleep over it.

I'm sure someone will put something out that looks very generic without player likeness or uniform numbers. I don't see why they wouldn't.

If there isn't players likeness, what is the point of even playing the game? It would essentially be a bunch of made up players with made up names playing with made up characteristics and made up numbers on their backs but they are representing Auburn.

I'm sure someone will put something out that looks very generic without player likeness or uniform numbers. I don't see why they wouldn't.

If there isn't players likeness, what is the point of even playing the game? It would essentially be a bunch of made up players with made up names playing with made up characteristics and made up numbers on their backs but they are representing Auburn.

The thought behind a resurrection is in user made content, which was also a big part of the previous games.

Users would alter the game files to have every player accurately displayed by height/weight/jersey #/fresh-senior/ etc

This could be done within a generic game as well, and it is important to note that the lawsuit was not about allowing users to design their own players after real college athletes, but the fact that EA Sports was making the graphical representations look like them.

NCAA14 for example has the new Auburn rosters with JJ starting QB and Roc/Jovon on the team... despite the game actually coming out in 2013.

I don't know about the legal stuff but I was awesome. I'm talking nationally ranked they'd pay me to be in these online dynasties awesome

The thought behind a resurrection is in user made content, which was also a big part of the previous games.

Users would alter the game files to have every player accurately displayed by height/weight/jersey #/fresh-senior/ etc

This could be done within a generic game as well, and it is important to note that the lawsuit was not about allowing users to design their own players after real college athletes, but the fact that EA Sports was making the graphical representations look like them.

NCAA14 for example has the new Auburn rosters with JJ starting QB and Roc/Jovon on the team... despite the game actually coming out in 2013.

I'm not going to like it anyway if it is all user created content. I used to play Road to Glory all the time so I know how complicated it is to keep up the rosters.

my son has the one with Cam(Tebow on the cover) he is not a kid that plays much video games and i didnt get to good at it either. I had the 97 i think with D Craig. i could beat anybody. I wasted too much time.

SBNation "EA discontinued the game, because it was being sued for not paying players whose likenesses were used in the game and couldn't pay them because NCAA rules didn't allow it. EA then settled for $40 million.

The company apparently lobbied the NCAA to change its rules, and even asked to pay the players, but the NCAA didn't allow it."

There's a lot of differing opinions I've found now, but most settle on one of two outcomes... The NCAA gives in and allows players to be paid out of a trust once they leave college football, or the NCAA goes away via the creation of the "super conference" some people are lobbying for.

There's too much money to be made and too much demand for this product for it to remain dormant forever. My guess is that we'll have a return of a college football game franchise within 3 years--from EA Sports or another party.

Archived