Note on forced-fumbles

StatTiger

One aspect I believe Auburn will likely improve upon this upcoming season is their percentage of fumble recoveries. With a greater emphasis placed on pursuit and swarming to the point of attack, Auburn should be in better position to take advantage of loose footballs. This is an area Auburn has struggled with recently.

Here is Auburn's national rankings in forced-fumbles and their national rankings in fumble recovery.

Fumble%20Pct_zpsdd7jdulx.jpg

It will be good to see multiple Auburn helmets in the frame again when an opposing player gets tackled. I think this will coincide with better numbers in the areas above.

StatTiger, I saw some fumble numbers posted on another site, and asked about this in another thread. The author of that piece said that fumble recovery rates should be about 50% over time, and that if a team has dismal "luck" one year recovering fumbles, they will probably do much better the following year. I was wondering if you've done any analysis on the 50% figure. Surely some coaches are better at teaching aggressive ball-hawking and have a better than 50% rate for their teams, or so I would think. Do the numbers bear this out? Is it really just the luck of the bounce?

Archived