Interesting winning combination of stats

StatTiger

Over the last 15 years (2000-2014), teams from the SEC have combined for a record of 509-36, when compiling a combination of...

* at least 100-yards rushing

* complete at least 50% of their passes

* average at least 7.0 yards per pass attempt

* hold opponent to 120-yards rushing or less.

... all during the same game. That is a win pct of nearly 95 percent and 29 of the 36 losses were by 7-points or less. Accomplishing one of the goals doesn't seem like much but doing all 4 during the same game occurred less than 1/4 the time (23.4 percent).

Frequency:

50 pct passing: 78.0%

100-yds rushing: 76.7%

7.0 yds per pass att: 53.8%

hold opp to 120-yds rushing or less: 44.3%

Breakdown:

Alabama ............ 71-6

Arkansas ........... 38-1

Auburn ............... 57-1 (Auburn's lone loss was to Ole Miss 2003)

Florida ................ 69-4

Georgia .............. 57-3

Kentucky ............ 8-3

LSU .................... 63-0

Miss State .......... 22-2

Missouri ............. 5-0

Ole Miss ............. 30-7

South Carolina ... 35-1

Tennessee .......... 31-3

Texas A&M ......... 7-0

Vanderbilt ........... 16-5

The takeaway: Ben Obamanu owes us one.

J/k. It seems like we're primed to hold up the offensive end of that in a few games this season. Come on, D!

J/k. It seems like we're primed to hold up the offensive end of that in a few games this season. Come on, D!

Every time I see that play, it still shocks me that Obomanu dropped the pass.

Thanks to the TAM game this year, I won't have to bury myself in my room, weep, and pour ashes over me after watching that clip anymore.

Just for people who never saw it.........I suggest you drink heavily after watching

Two Ole Sis fans sitting behind me this game, very painful!!

The other takeaway: if you accomplish those things you are palying at a high level pretty consistently. Look at the teams and toatal number of games involved. The other shocker: how the heck did Bammer lose 6 games doing all four?

Thanks to the TAM game this year, I won't have to bury myself in my room, weep, and pour ashes over me after watching that clip anymore.

And of course for us senior citizens, we still weep over the loss in 1992 to UGA with a fumble in the final few seconds and the officials let the clock run out while UGA players prevented AU from getting another play off. This one might cause you take a few extra drinks too.

Just for people who never saw it.........I suggest you drink heavily after watching

Might I suggest.... drink heavily BEFORE watching this. I was riding in a car listening on the radio. So sad....

My brother and I STILL argue about that call. He says the pass should have never been thrown, I say it should have never been dropped.

My brother and I STILL argue about that call. He says the pass should have never been thrown, I say it should have never been dropped.

I'm on your side.

And of course for us senior citizens, we still weep over the loss in 1992 to UGA with a fumble in the final few seconds and the officials let the clock run out while UGA players prevented AU from getting another play off. This one might cause you take a few extra drinks too.

That one was painful. I think it was the last year Coach Dye was HC. Refs hightailed it right after the play and the AU fans just stood there dumfounded. We knew we were going to win and basically were robbed.

For the 2003 Ole Miss game, I was working as a server at a restaurant. Almost got fired because I let out a creative string of expletives in what I though was an empty room.

I had not started drinking at that time in my life, but that play moved me along quite a ways to the start of it. So, I guess something goodish came out of it...

For the 2003 Ole Miss game, I was working as a server at a restaurant. Almost got fired because I let out a creative string of expletives in what I though was an empty room.

I had not started drinking at that time in my life, but that play moved me along quite a ways to the start of it. So, I guess something goodish came out of it...

Another great story.

This collection of stats is amazing, Stat. Even VANDY wins 2/3 when they accomplish the combination. That's incredible.

It would be interesting to see if there's anything else that might account for the losses -- I mean, one stat, say.

Like, do the teams that do end up losing give up 300 yards passing? Do they turn the ball over too much? What accounts for the losses?

I was already happy we were planning to stop the run first. But now I'm even happier.

This collection of stats is amazing, Stat. Even VANDY wins 2/3 when they accomplish the combination. That's incredible.

It would be interesting to see if there's anything else that might account for the losses -- I mean, one stat, say.

Like, do the teams that do end up losing give up 300 yards passing? Do they turn the ball over too much? What accounts for the losses?

I was already happy we were planning to stop the run first. But now I'm even happier.

I can tell you- and to take some of the heat (that I initiated) off of Obamanu- that Eli Manning was a freaking surgeon in our one loss when posting those numbers. No clue what his stats were but he made several seriously clutch throws to well-defended receivers in the second half.

I can tell you- and to take some of the heat (that I initiated) off of Obamanu- that Eli Manning was a freaking surgeon in our one loss when posting those numbers. No clue what his stats were but he made several seriously clutch throws to well-defended receivers in the second half.

Yeah, I remember -- I mean I plum forgot, like on purpose -- Eli. <_<

;D

I was asking about stats more generally that might explain the losses. Is there one, or is it just a mishmash of bad luck, like having a future Super Bowl winning QB on the other team?

That had to the sickest feeling ever. If that happened today, I am sure the replay booth would have caught it and we could have pulled that one out. I guess the miracle play with Ricardo kind of made up for that game in 1992.

Archived