Lee Corso will never wear the Aubie head

quietfan

"They have some kind of rule that you have got to be a special kind of human being to wear this guy's headgear."

Well duh, Lee. You campaigning to replace "Captain Obvious" or something?

http://www.al.com/sp...only_schoo.html

Aubie the Tiger isn't your average mascot.

He is the only mascot that has ever turned down longtime ESPN College GameDay analyst Lee Corso, who shows off his pick for the network's game of the week by donning a school's mascot headgear. It is a tradition Corso began in 1996, and it has since become a staple of the popular traveling college football pregame show.

"Auburn is the only school in America that will not let me put on the headgear," said Corso on Monday afternoon during a ESPN luncheon at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. "They have some kind of rule that you have got to be a special kind of human being to wear this guy's headgear..."

I think Corso would be better dressed as a clown for Ringling Brothers.

Well, "Big Al" is close! ...minus the Ringling talent. ;)

[Although from the Freudian perspective, I've always thought Big Al's flaccid trunk was significant.)

"... So, I'm not going to pick 'em," he said with a laugh.

I count that as a blessing, not a curse.

The old Corso kiss of death.

I'm glad they won't let that clown defile the Aubie head. Maybe we should arrange to provide him with a Bozo costume.

He already has the face on, all that is needed is the costume.

Corso surf fishes with cut up hot dogs and did not know what a sand flea was.

And people think he could pick a football game.

What does fishing have to do with football and knowledge thereof?

Ran into Corso fishing off Indian Rocks Beach back in the 70's. My dad and I were slaying them with sand fleas and Corso was telling us that hot dogs were the best bait. We had many fish. He had none.

Stupid is stupid in fishing or football.

Ran into Corso fishing off Indian Rocks Beach back in the 70's. My dad and I were slaying them with sand fleas and Corso was telling us that hot dogs were the best bait. We had many fish. He had none.

That has got to be a top 5 story on this site.

Eh, sounds like he just didn't take it too seriously. Which is what I like about him.

Yep

might not have anything to do with it but lee...whom i like......had some seriously harsh words regularly concerning auburn in 93 and he and terry bowden had some words and some of it got pretty bad and heated. he also covered an auburn home game and would take a few little shots at auburn and i swear as i am living and breathing lightening hit his car in the parking lot and it burned to the ground. i will give him props for being mostly entertaining. seems i am leaving something out but i cannot remember what it is at almost sixty. anyway war eagle!

I have a severe dislike for Corso since my earlier days of watching AU football when he said about the '93 undefeated team, "If a tree falls in Auburn, does anyone hear it?" joking about our Trees years and years before anyone knew of Ol' Harvey.

That's when I wrote that guy off.

That's a funny story for sure ShugMan.... I know those beaches well, been surf fishing in them since I was a little boy... Small world WDE!

Edit: and I sure as heck know what a Sandflea is!!! Can't imagine catching a whiting or pompano running by without one!

Archived