2015 Preseason Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

All updates on Day 2 of Fall Camp will be posted in this thread ...

Wednesday, August 5th

• 2:55-3:15 PM CT – Open to the media
  • 5:45 PM CT – Gus Malzahn, selected players post-practice interviews

PRACTICE OBSERVATIONS | Tray Matthews returns to 1st team safety

@BMattAU

CLrAhdQVAAAUMHz.jpg

via @bennettphoto

• Sophomore cornerback Stephen Roberts stood on the sideline with freshmen and newcomers for the second consecutive day. He did not participate in the early portion of drills.
  • The first-team receivers were D'haquille Williams, Ricardo Louis, Tony Stevens and Jason Smith
  • Devonte Danzey was at first-team left guard.
  • Former Auburn coach Pat Dye attended practice and was conversing with newcomers, including defensive end Byron Cowart, early during the workout.

http://www.al.com/au...rvations_p.html

Defensive lineman Montravius Adams worked with the second-team defense for the second straight day. Meanwhile, Justin Garrett, Cameron Toney and Tre Williams had some reps with the first-team unit.

Trey Matthews ...

http://auburn.247spo...-Day-2-38578659

As expected, all three of Auburn’s running backs were rotating in and out during drills. Sophomores Peyton Barber and Roc Thomas, and JUCO transfer Jovon Robinson were alternating snaps with the first- and second-team units led by quarterbacks Jeremy Johnson and Sean White, respectively

http://www.oanow.com...4b6c9c3ab8.html

Gus Malzahn's post-practice presser ...

CLrQ9u9WEAAagsk.jpg

via @EvanMcCullers

CLrQ9wnWgAEG2L1.jpg

via @EvanMcCullers

CLrQ92vWwAAM5Yt.jpg

via @EvanMcCullers

CLrQ94jWoAAmIsJ.jpg

via @EvanMcCullers

CLreUGyUMAAU2NL.jpg

via @JLeeAU21

CLreUPPVAAA0XBI.jpg

via @JLeeAU21

CLreUJfUcAAJAbW.jpg

via @JLeeAU21

Auburn's complete preseason schedule can be viewed here ...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big question of course: Is TM out there? Also, what are the starting line-ups day 2?

Yes ... OP being updated (the refresh key is your friend throughout the afternoon/tonight) ...

Just wondering, is there anyone on roster left from that 2010 team?

Shon Coleman was in the 2010 signing class

So what are the actual hours of practice?

And is there any particular reason these photos are all inside?

And thanks so much for your reporting. This site is ausome!

It's currently 91 degrees outside, and that is 2 hours after they practiced. They do work outside, but generally it is after the media viewing portion. I'm not sure if that is for the player's benefit or the media's.

Tracking Gus Malzahn's post-practice presser ...

Gus: "I feel like our older guys really responded to our challenge and just the standard of practice."

Auburn will be in shells tomorrow. Young guys will get in there with the older guys, too.

Gus says the four RBs (Roc, Peyton, Jovon and Kerryon) will get "somewhat equal" reps this fall camp.

Gus on Blake Countess: You can tell he's a veteran guy. He catches on real quick. ... He understands, and that's the big thing."

More Gus on Countess: "Encouraged that he's really going to be able to help us."

Gus on Stanton Truitt: He's healthy. "It's encouraging." Says it's really the first time since he's been here that he's been fully healthy

Gus on Kozan: "I feel like he can" be the same player he was in 2013 -- "or better."

@AUBlog

Our young guys are still learning.

Malzahn said Day 2 was "overall a solid day."

Malzahn on Jonathan Wallace: "We've got some young guys mixed in there with the older guys." Says Wallace wasn't hurt.

Malzahn: "You want to give young guys as much chance a chance as possible to succeed."

@RyanABlack

Alex Kozan

Alex Kozan up next. Says it feels great to be back out there fully healthy. "I missed it last year, so it's great to be back out here"

Kozan on leader of OL: We're trying to establish that. "All the guys on our line are older players, so really all of us need to be leaders"

Kozan says him, Avery Young and Shon Coleman don't discuss looking ahead to NFL. Focus is on this season, getting Auburn back on top

Kozan on if it gets annoying when people stop him on street to talk team/injury: "Not so much for me, since I'm an O-lineman."

@AUBlog

Blake Countess

Michigan grad transfer CB Blake Countess up now. Said Auburn felt like a perfect fit. "Felt like we could do something special"

Which word does Countess use to describe Muschamp? "Intense." Obviously. Said Muschamp and T-Rob affected his decision to come to Auburn

Countess reached out to Kris Frost during decision process. The two played in the US Army All-America Bowl together in high school

@AUBlog

Blake Countess was not told he'd need to try out to keep his spot at Michigan. Some reports out there of similar practices under Harbaugh.

Blake Countess on differences between Michigan and Auburn: "The heat, the tempo." Strength program also different.

@bmarcello

Countess said Auburn runs the same defense that he ran at Michigan. "The terminology is a lot of the same stuff."

Countess: "Coming in, they're a new staff here on defense. ... They told me they didn't really a have standout in the spring."

@RyanABlack

"the opportunity is there... I'm here to work."

@AUGoldMine

Notes from practice from my observation:

Lots of standing around to me so far this year. Outside portion is hot! Hope the pace picks up. Countess looks good. Like Matthews also. Oline looks solid and I like our receivers. RBs gonna be great, and I predict roc and Javon getting equal reps game 1.

Interesting to see Monty in the twos but I think for now that they have their best out there with the ones.

I can already see a difference in approach with our safeties and corners. For example on bubble screens we typically laid back for the tackle and subsequently get blocked out of the play. I think it will be obvious the aggressive (IMO better) approach to the corners particularly to the muschamp way.

Last, so great to see some of these guys that the med staff has worked so hard to rehab like Coleman Kozan Lawson and others looking so good.

Shon Coleman

Coleman said he is a lot more comfortable and a lot more confident, technique-wise, with everything he is doing in pass protection now

@AUBlog

Shon Coleman on no pads: "It's hard out there. We want to get out there and bang a little bit"

Coleman said the O-lineman are trying to make it easier on Coach Grimes following his surgery last week

Coleman believes Alex Kozan will be able to pick up where he left off in 2013, if not be even better than he was.

Starting left tackle Shon Coleman: "I think we (the offensive line) have got a lot of potential."

@RyanABlack

Notes from practice from my observation:

Lots of standing around to me so far this year. Outside portion is hot! Hope the pace picks up. Countess looks good. Like Matthews also. Oline looks solid and I like our receivers. RBs gonna be great, and I predict roc and Javon getting equal reps game 1.

Interesting to see Monty in the twos but I think for now that they have their best out there with the ones.

I can already see a difference in approach with our safeties and corners. For example on bubble screens we typically laid back for the tackle and subsequently get blocked out of the play. I think it will be obvious the aggressive (IMO better) approach to the corners particularly to the muschamp way.

Last, so great to see some of these guys that the med staff has worked so hard to rehab like Coleman Kozan Lawson and others looking so good.

Awesome stuff, biscuits, thanks! You too, RiR

Josh Holsey

Josh Holsey on deck. Pretty much told Blake Countess he needed to come to Auburn.

Holsey to Countess: "If you come down here, you'll have a chance to help us right away -- and compete for a national championship."

Holsey said it wasn't difficult to put personal pride aside when Countess joined. "It's competition to me." Said Blake makes 2ndary better

Holsey on walk-on DB Michael Sherwood's "Dirty Mike" nickname: "One of our (HS) coaches called him that in our first practice."

More Holsey on nickname: Said he came w/ dirty cleats, dirty socks, dirty shorts and coach just said 'You look like a Dirty Mike.' It stuck.

Holsey on haircuts of entire secondary: "We wanted to do something different. We wanted to stand out." Said TJ Davis started the trend.

Holsey said most common question he gets from people on street/in class: How is Muschamp? His answer? "He's intense."

@AUBlog

Joshua Holsey politely told me I wouldn't understand the difference between Northern/Southern DB playing styles because I'm not a FB player.

@RyanABlack

http://www.aufamily....ctice-schedule/

That doesn't show the actual practice interval. It's apparently a post-practice press schedule.

It's currently 91 degrees outside, and that is 2 hours after they practiced. They do work outside, but generally it is after the media viewing portion. I'm not sure if that is for the player's benefit or the media's.

OK that's about what I assumed, they utilize both venues daily.

I am still curious about the whole process. In high school we were doing two-a-days at this time. (I was constantly dehydrated.)

I'd like to know what a typical day in this era is like.

What hairstyle is Holsey talking about?

Need to know what to tell my barber.

70247d2e4d20cba31752e5721ba40ca3.jpg

Late. I had that cut during the Bowden era.

Archived