2015 Preseason Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

Thursday, August 6th

• No media viewing window
  • 5:45 PM CT – Will Muschamp, selected players post-practice interviews

DC Will Muschamp

CLwuqBGUsAATo2u.jpg

via @WesleySinor

Muschamp on 1st three days: "It's OK. ... I'm pretty somewhat pleased with where we are. Not enough consistency."

Muschamp: We're training our guys for multiple spots b/c at end of day we need to get our best 4 or 5 DBs on field

Muschamp said Gimel President had a procedure done on his groin in May but is looking good, cleared and full-go

Muschamp on Lawson: You got a real good edge rusher. ... and a guy who plays w/ a high motor, effects everyone else

Muschamp said at 277 pounds, Byron Cowart can play either DE or Buck, working primarily at DE now.

Muschamp making jokes about @bmarcello's hair -- or lack thereof. Can't style it like Auburn's secondary.

Muschamp: "The further your position is away from the ball, the easier it is to play as a freshman."

Muschamp says from a talent standpoint, Auburn's defense could be championship-caliber

Freshman Jeff Holland is working at Sam linebacker in Auburn's base defense, and also repping some at Buck

@AUBlog

Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp: "I'm somewhat pleased where we are" after three days of practice.

Auburn's Will Muschamp: "We have young guys who can help us, but it's way too early" to say who they are.

@AUGoldMine

Will Muschamp said he's pleased with the linebacker group so far and singled out freshman Darrell Williams as doing some good things.

@ITATJason

Muschamp on where Blake Countess/Joshua Holsey will play: "It's where to early to settle on anything like that."

@RyanABlack

How you define success this year? Muschamp: "Winning the SEC and then you're probably in Final Four. I don't get into stats and all that."

@bmarcello

RB Peyton Barber

Peyton Barber up talking now: Says he, Roc, Jovon and Kerryon are all competing for the RB job.

Barber: "I don't feel like there's that much pressure. I feel like I thrive on pressure."

Barber has been working mostly on pass protection and learning the playbook, getting that down pat.

Barber: "I feel like I can do it all. I feel like I'm an every-down back."

Peyton Barber: "There's been points where I wanted to pack up everything and go, but I'm not a quitter."

Peyton Barber: "I try to run like Marshawn Lynch, but I don't think anyone can run like that."

@AUBlog

Peyton Barber: "I want to start. I want to be THE guy. I want to do what Tre Mason and Cameron Artis-Payne were able to do."

@bmarcello

Peyton Barber said he's got the playbook down and that has helped his comfort level at running back.

@ITATJason

DT Dontavius Russell

Excited to get on the field after redshirting last season.

Russell: There's never a set starter with this defense, especially with Muschamp. It's about who's best that day

Dontavius Russell probably accidentally too candid. "The reason Montravius' (Adams) inconsistency shows is b/c he's so good" other times.

@AUBlog

RB Roc Thomas

Believes he has what it takes to be an every-down back.

Roc believes Kerryon Johnson is ahead of where he personally was at this point last year, has real chance to play

@AUBlog

Auburn's Roc Thomas on the friendly running back competition: "We're pretty much brothers. We try to encourage each other out there."

@AUGoldMine

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good problem to have at RB. I fear Peyton will have even less of a chance this year than last year. Being that Grant didn't provide a little more then what was expected...i felt it would've been a good opportunity to get Barber more touches but didn't happen. Good thing is that his career with Auburn is still young.

Good problem to have at RB. I fear Peyton will have even less of a chance this year than last year. Being that Grant didn't provide a little more then what was expected...i felt it would've been a good opportunity to get Barber more touches but didn't happen. Good thing is that his career with Auburn is still young.

Grant should've stopped being given carries after Roc was the only back to burn Miss St (I guess CAP did good I don't remember). A duo of Roc and CAP with Ricardo being given the speed sweeps would've likely been at least 4x better, but it is what it is

Best comment from mchamp was that he believes he has the talent on defense to contend for a championship.

don't read into that.

I believe that was an answer to a question and All he said was "sure". We will be fine

I don't think Barber will see the field much in his time at Auburn. Everyone thinks he's gonna be awesome because of a comment Tre Mason made about him back in 2013, but he hasn't seen any meaningful action since he's arrived, has done little to impress during mop up duty, and is competing against two of the most talented RBs in the league. I'm not saying he won't win the starting job, or at least have significant playing time, but I won't be surprised at all if he doesn't.

I don't think he'll be good b/c of Tre's comments. Never thought that. I've went by the carries he has had...even though there have not been many. When he's gotten the ball he's made the most of them. He's a combination of good power and speed IMO. He's barely got a chance in mop up duty. Everyone is so high on Javon and the talent is def. there but being in Gus's system for two solid years has to count for something. Peyton may not play much at Auburn. My thing with him is at least give him a TRUE shot to say...yes or no..if he can contribute. I felt like last year he should've gotten more of that chance.

I personally think Roc will start but i don't get just handing the job to Javon just b/c he was the #1 JUCO RB. If the #1 position is open..let it be open for all 3 to prove it.

CWM looks 20 lbs lighter and 100% in a better psychological place since FL. Happy for him.

I think staying in the state of Florida too long could mess up anybody

Be nice to Golf

I don't think Barber will see the field much in his time at Auburn. Everyone thinks he's gonna be awesome because of a comment Tre Mason made about him back in 2013, but he hasn't seen any meaningful action since he's arrived, has done little to impress during mop up duty, and is competing against two of the most talented RBs in the league. I'm not saying he won't win the starting job, or at least have significant playing time, but I won't be surprised at all if he doesn't.

really none of our rbs are proven. I will agree on barber, except i haven't seen anything from him here or hs film that impressed me. Not saying he is not talented, i have not seen though. He is where i expect him to be behind roc and jrob.i think kerryon passes him too.

really none of our rbs are proven. I will agree on barber, except i haven't seen anything from him here or hs film that impressed me. Not saying he is not talented, i have not seen though. He is where i expect him to be behind roc and jrob.i think kerryon passes him too.

Count me as one who has seen some serious flashes from Barber. It has nothing to do with what Mason said...Barber is a very talented RB. I'm wondering if the two of y'all have missed some of his carries bc he's picked up yards in chunks. He averages 5.4 ypc...that's solid. Not saying he'll be a runaway superstar this year but his grasp of the playbook is what's held him back, not lack of talent.

Count me as one who has seen some serious flashes from Barber. It has nothing to do with what Mason said...Barber is a very talented RB. I'm wondering if the two of y'all have missed some of his carries bc he's picked up yards in chunks. He averages 5.4 ypc...that's solid. Not saying he'll be a runaway superstar this year but his grasp of the playbook is what's held him back, not lack of talent.

I don't doubt his talent as a RB. I just doubt it in comparison to Thomas and Robinson. I mean a true freshman got more meaningful playing time last year than he did. Even when the running game was not hitting on all cylinders toward the middle of last year, he still didn't see any meaningful snaps. I just think we need to manage our expectations. Barber is most likely not going to beat out two 5* RBs for the starting job, and I'd be really surprised if he did.

Side note: if he does beat out Roc and Jovon, I definitely won't complain. It'll mean that he's obviously a huge talent.

I would say Peyton has gotten his chances - in practice - where playing time is earned. Apparently he was not good enough to beat out Cam or Roc last season, and was not the speed guy Corey was, therefore it was little opportunity for him to play. This is his time, I am pulling for all of them, and hopefully he earns the opportunity to see the field more often.

Malzahn always asks whether a player can be "counted on." He seems to want consistency and reliability. I think that's why CAP was tapped last season. If Barber shows a greater reliability than Roc, he'll be carrying the ball. Don't forget that the last time we saw Roc, he was overwhelmed and scrambling to pick up a dropped pitch.

Archived