2015 Preseason Practice - Day 7

RunInRed

Tuesday, August 11th

• No media viewing window
  • 5:45 PM CT – Selected players post-practice interviews

Everything's sunny as pro scouts watch Auburn for the second consecutive day Tuesday...

CMKABwzWwAEvVxo.jpg

Offense, defense and here Gus Malzahn watches special teams work Tuesday

CMKHq-XWsAAiTeJ.jpg

@AUGoldMine

Once the scouts leave, Duke can return. That would be a perfect, quick punishment that packs a punch.

DC Will Muschamp

Muschamp on 1st scrimmage Monday: We had some good focus and good effort. Tackled well for the first scrimmage.

Muschamp: Defense gave up five big runs and more than 4 yards per carry for entire scrimmage. Not pleased with run defense yesterday

What can you do to stop the run better? Muschamp: "See if you can squeeze 12 or 13 (players) out there."

Muschamp wasn't at all surprised by Carl Lawson's unblockability during Monday's scrimmage.

Muschamp still has no feel for who 3rd safety behind Tray & Rudy would be. Blake Countess, Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin & Tim Irvin in fold

Muschamp: Guys who produce stay first team. Guys who don't move to second or third team ... That's just part of the deal. Guys understand.

Muschamp: Freshmen defenders have been mixing and matching with the 1s to "put guys in different situations"

Muschamp: The young secondary guys ... are all guys that have exhibited the ability to play on the edges in the Southeastern Conference.

@AUBlog

Muschamp says they missed 12 tackles in the scrimmage and wasn't happy with their play against the run.

Muschamp: "Overall I was pleased with some of the hits and the turnovers" from Monday's scrimmage.

Muschamp: "It's huge for our guys" that they kept the offense out of the end zone.

Muschamp on Raashed Kennion: "He's a guy we've been pretty excited about." Says Kennion just needs to get a bit better versus the run.

Muschamp on his mentality of constant competition: "If a guy doesn't play well, he doesn't deserve to play."

@RyanABlack

Auburn D gave up 4+ yards per carry, gave up 5 big runs in scrimmage. Muschamp: "Extremely concerned about that, especially in our league."

@bmarcello

Muschamp says team has been working through all situations in practice. Third down, red zone, goal line, etc.

Muschamp said there's "no question" young guys have a chance to play immediately.

Muschamp said Maurice Swain, Cassanova McKinzy, Carl Lawson, Justin Garrett and several others up front stood out in scrimmage.

Muschamp said Justin Garrett and Cassanova McKinzy have been the best two inside linebackers so far.

Muschamp: "Don't care who they are, where they're from or how many stars they've got by their name." Said best players will play.

@EvanMcCullers

Muschamp on Carl Lawson "he's a very good football player"

Muschamp adds that Darrell Williams is a player that continues to do good things at LB. Same with Byron Cowart up front

Muschamp says that Stephen Roberts has done some good things at safety, including an interception and several plays in goal line

@ITATJason

Is there a better feel for who Auburn's third safety is? Will Muschamp: "Not right now."

@JamesCrepea

Will Muschamp if freshmen can help: "Absolutely. Young secondary guys…have exhibited ability to play" in the SEC. Byron Cowart, others, too.

Muschamp on freshman LB Darrell Williams: "He runs well in space, he plays well in space and he's an intelligent man"

@WesleySinor

Austin Golson

Austin Golson said he just got banged up recently in practice, but was back on Tuesday doing some things. Says he should be full go tomorrow

@ITATJason

Golson on comparisons to Reese Dismukes: "A lot of people try to compare me to him ... I just hope what I do is good enough for our team."

@RyanABlack

Does Golson feel pressure stepping into Reese Dismukes' shoes? "Reese is Reese. Austin is Austin." Just going to do what he can to help.

Who is the leader of the offensive line? Golson: "I want to be the leader. I'd like to be *a* leader, but we need all five of us as well."

Golson tried to get at least 50 snaps every day in the summer. Feels very comfortable with how he has progressed there.

Golson on new videoboard: "It's huge. It's huge. I like it."

@AUBlog

Auburn center Austin Golson on Gus Malzahn's offense: "I love it because we go fast. The defense doesn't have too much time to think."

@AUGoldMine

Center Austin Golson: "I feel like we have a chance to be really good up front."

Auburn center Austin Golson said he hasn't kept in touch with coaching staff at Ole Miss.

@bmarcello

Golson: "We all need to lead each other" on O-line. Said Jeremy Johnson has stepped up as a leader for the entire offense.

Golson said he enjoyed his time at Ole Miss but "Auburn is where my heart is."

@EvanMcCullers

Austin Golson on playing for Ole Miss before transferring to Auburn: "I'm happy the way it worked out."

@WesleySinor

Justin Garrett having a standout fall camp... Where have I heard that before?

nowhere. Wasn't it spring he won the Lombardi?

If Justin Garrett has been dealing with Plantar Fasciitis and arch issues, he has been dealing with some pain. I have dealt with if for years and had to have surgery. It will affect most everything he does, especially athletically.

man they even have blake countess considered to be the third safety, really intrigued to see what this guy's got on the field

Maurice Swain

Swain: As a team, as a whole we're just grinding to get better as a defense. I'm working on a lot of technique stuff to get better.

Swain notes he's working on his pad level, footwork and his hand placement. Just the little things to "take my game to the next level."

Swain has been particularly impressed by the newcomers in the secondary. "They're coming out like they've already been here."

Swain said it gets pretty confusing at times with so many players named Davis on the team.

Swain loves Muschamp's approach of top performer being next-day starter. It's "what have you done for me lately?"

Swain on Byron Cowart: "I think Byron's pretty ready. He just has to keep coming along technique-wise."

@AUBlog

Where is Kris Frost? I hate hearing that he has not been a top linebacker. With it being his senior year, I was hoping he would have a breakout season. He is the definition of an Auburn man and excels in his academics. I hate that he hasn't been able to reach his full potential on the field.

Where is Kris Frost? I hate hearing that he has not been a top linebacker. With it being his senior year, I was hoping he would have a breakout season. He is the definition of an Auburn man and excels in his academics. I hate that he hasn't been able to reach his full potential on the field.

Muschamp likes big hitters.

I agree.

I believe it was addressed here in the Spring. Word was, during spring camp, that his work ethic is lacking or is lacking "football smarts". Same with Cass.

Muschamp's remarks on how the scrimmage went makes it sound like the offense was able to move the ball consistently at times, despite no TD's. Of course, he has high expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if the O made several trips into the red zone, but came up short and had to settle for field goals due to the vanilla play calling.

Muschamp's remarks on how the scrimmage went makes it sound like the offense was able to move the ball consistently at times, despite no TD's. Of course, he has high expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if the O made several trips into the red zone, but came up short and had to settle for field goals due to the vanilla play calling.

It struck me as a "we did well, but there is always room for improvement and I don't want us to get big heads" kind of statement.

Hopefully it is because of the intentional play calling because last year we kicked wayyyy too many FGs in the red zone

Focus | Ricardo Louis with a nice catch during camp today! #FastPhysical #WarEagle

CMKq-OsUwAAto08.jpg

CMKq-OuVAAA3QA3.jpg

CMKq-O-UAAA6dzt.jpg

CMKq-OrUEAE8yGU.jpg

@FootballAU

Ricardo has the whole "let the DB make a better play on the ball but bobble it and I'll be there to pick up the scraps" thing down.

If Justin Garrett has been dealing with Plantar Fasciitis and arch issues, he has been dealing with some pain. I have dealt with if for years and had to have surgery. It will affect most everything he does, especially athletically.

I heard on the radio today that he has high arches and Under Armour has Made him special cleats.

What exactly did the defense "dominate" in the scrimmage if it was mostly run-oriented and the defense gave up 4 ypc and some big runs?

I agree.

I believe it was addressed here in the Spring. Word was, during spring camp, that his work ethic is lacking or is lacking "football smarts". Same with Cass.

Yeah I dropped a bomb on one of the practice threads about the two not living up to CWM's standards and all hell broke loose.

What exactly did the defense "dominate" in the scrimmage if it was mostly run-oriented and the defense gave up 4 ypc and some big runs?

Keeping the offense out of the end zone perhaps? Must crawl before walking I suppose.

'Dominate' was a bit of a stretch from the previous presser.

Archived