Here's Why Auburn Will Run Over Louisville

thaitopher

Both Petrino and Malzahn are known for their offensive prowess. Without quality offensive players, Petrino's hands will be tied and he will be limited to what he can do. Malzahn has countless quality players on offense with endless options. UL's defense won't know what's going to hit them, especially since for the last several years they have seen a Malzahn team with a strong running game, but the college world hasn't really seen Malzahn on full display when he has a passer as accurate as JJ. My one cent (don't know enough about college football to put in two cents).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also believe that this tandem of RBs is the best tandem that has ever been in a Malzahn offense. Not taking anything away from Dyer, McCallebb, Mason, etc. But all 3 of these guys we have now could be starters. All of them are nearly 210 pounds and up.

How was our run game with JJ in there at QB vs Arky?

I think ultimately this game is decided by no more than 10 pts. It could be AU on top or UL really. I don't think we know enough about either team. Also UL has some talented guys who weren't eligible last season that will be suiting up that some may be overlooking IMO.

Can't really judge the run game on JJ though...

I was asking because I don't quite remember how our run game was with JJ and CAP in that 1st half vs Arky. I do know JJ didn't attempt to run very much though. But as far as the effectiveness of the entire run game I can't quite recall how it went.

Without quality offensive players, Petrino's hands will be tied and he will be limited to what he can do.

Not his first rodeo without quality offensive players.......

His hands didn't seem to be tied nor was he limited in what he did.

BTW - bammer had the #1 ranked defense in the Nation heading into that game.

If you need more recent examples of hands tied and offensive limits......

I remember not picking up two first downs and people started talking crap (even while putting up the numbers he did) but one of those Uzomah just totally blew his blocking assignment

As I said in the other Louisville thread, the two big things we have going for us are Carl Lawson and Louisville's defense. If Lawson comes even close to living up to his hype, he should do some serious damage to the standard Petrino pass heavy offense, especially with the praise we're now hearing for our secondary. As for the D, unless Louisville's defensive line is much improved, our running back trio should be able to easily do as much damage as Georgia did to them in their bowl game which would be enough to win even if Jeremy just had an okay game.

Sure, it will probably take a quarter or two to knock the rust off, but I think we can run away with this one as the game goes on.

The game will come down to the same thing the season has come down to the last 2 years. Will the Auburn defense be at least an above average defense ? We will score the points and if Boom is able to have the defense ready by game 1, enough to at least stop the other team more often than not, we will win. I think he can by the way and anything above that is gravy.

If you remember in the Arkansas game with JJ running the show, he was putting up the points in the first half, but EJ's defense couldn't stop the other team from doing the same. Result, tied at the half. Turns out it was a microcosm of the 2nd half of the season. So there is no need to focus on the AU offense too much, that is a given. The focus should be DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.

I also believe that this tandem of RBs is the best tandem that has ever been in a Malzahn offense. Not taking anything away from Dyer, McCallebb, Mason, etc. But all 3 of these guys we have now could be starters. All of them are nearly 210 pounds and up.

At Auburn, yes. But let us not forget he coached McFadden, Jones, and Peyton Hillis...that's not to say I don't think this group could be just as good, and with a better supporting cast to boot, but that's some exceptionally talented players there...

If Lawson comes even close to living up to his hype, he should do some serious damage to the standard Petrino pass heavy offense

Louisville 2014: 511 rushes / 428 passes

WKU 2013: 468 rushes / 407 passes

As for the D, unless Louisville's defensive line is much improved, our running back trio should be able to easily do as much damage as Georgia did to them in their bowl game

Louisville brings back 4 of their Front 7 + DE Devonte Fields, the 2012 Big 12 Defensive POTY from TCU / #3 JUCO player in 2014.

I think ultimately this game is decided by no more than 10 pts. It could be AU on top or UL really. I don't think we know enough about either team. Also UL has some talented guys who weren't eligible last season that will be suiting up that some may be overlooking IMO.

Who are these guys??

The game will come down to the same thing the season has come down to the last 2 years. Will the Auburn defense be at least an above average defense ? We will score the points and if Boom is able to have the defense ready by game 1, enough to at least stop the other team more often than not, we will win. I think he can by the way and anything above that is gravy.

If you remember in the Arkansas game with JJ running the show, he was putting up the points in the first half, but EJ's defense couldn't stop the other team from doing the same. Result, tied at the half. Turns out it was a microcosm of the 2nd half of the season. So there is no need to focus on the AU offense too much, that is a given. The focus should be DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.

Last year's O-Line was only replacing 2 starters and the backups all had played some reps as starters, with a 4 year starter at Center, I don't doubt the ability of the replacements some may eventually be better then people they replaced but it is how fast they can come together as a unit and can Coleman stop a speed Rusher. I think we will be fine but until I see the first game I will be a little bit worried. I do agree D will be a lot better.

Who are these guys??

Fields, Wiggins, Harvey Clemmons

Last year's O-Line was only replacing 2 starters and the backups all had played some reps as starters, with a 4 year starter at Center, I don't doubt the ability of the replacements some may eventually better then people they replaced but it is how fast they can come together as a unit and can Coleman stop a speed Rusher. I think we will be fine but until I see the first game I will be a little bit worried. I do agree D will be a lot better.

And this year, the only projected starter without starting experience at Auburn spent a year starting at Ole Miss as a true freshman. Now, the point about how quickly they gel as a unit is specifically important, but we have four projected starters who have all spent a full season starting in the SEC, along with a couple of backups who have some reps of their own and a senior center who spent the past two years studying under Dismukes as the second choice for the position.

I just don't see us having any more questions on the line this year than we did last year, personally...

But But But don't you guys remember all the tough games that we had when Coach Tubs was going against Petrino?

That is why we all need to be very very scared of Petrino.

His record vs Tubs.

sarcasm (off)

This is now with a coach that Petrino has had to deal with. Our Offense is light years better than any Auburn offense Petrino has ever seen. Yes, Petrino has done well with 2nd tier talent with some good talent mixed into the pot.

It could be a close game for a while, but we will start pulling away by the 3rd quarter and will never look back. Mark my word pardners it is gonna happen.

Last year's O-Line was only replacing 2 starters and the backups all had played some reps as starters, with a 4 year starter at Center, I don't doubt the ability of the replacements some may eventually be better then people they replaced but it is how fast they can come together as a unit and can Coleman stop a speed Rusher. I think we will be fine but until I see the first game I will be a little bit worried. I do agree D will be a lot better.

Yes, I know what you're saying. Having watched Gus on offense all these years, I'm not too concerned about that part of the team, even though there might be some 1st game rust. I guess it's normal for people to focus on the offense because of all the flashy plays and points being scored.

But as we found out so many times over the years (ie. scoring 44 pts on bama etc., etc.), unless we have an average or better defense, all that offense can be wasted. However, if you can pair just a halfway decent defense with this offense, you can have a championship team. The good thing is Gus recognized that and made a major commitment in the offseason to do something about it.

I think our passing will be much better than last year but even thougn I agree this may be the most talent at RB, it will be interesting to see if we get the same production. A lot of the reason we ran so well the past two years was Nick Marshall. Not to say that JJ can't run but I doubt he is as much of a treat as NM. Other teams Def. had to hold a second longer to make sure NM didn't keep it which made things a little easier for the RB's. It remains to be seen how much that changes our running game even though we might have better talent.

By at least one thoughtfully researched measure, Auburn is the 8th-most talented team in the country and Louisville is 42nd. Even given Petrino's wizardry, that's quite a disparity. The offenses will at least almost maximize their potential, and Auburn's potential is higher based purely on talent. And that's about all we know about this game.

We can cite the experience of our OL all we want, but the fact is that not one single guy has started at his current position at the same time that either of the guys next to him started at theirs. Austin Golson has never played center in college and certainly never snapped a ball to Jeremy Johnson in an actual game. The center is, like, sorta important.

I could go on about the inexperience of our RBs, the lack of production to date from our defense and- does anybody know anything about our special teams, other than that Carlson should be "good enough"? Honest question?- but I doubt anybody's still reading. Even still, I think we'll win this game and a lot more after it, but some folks might do well to at least consider the possibility that there might be some growing pains.

By at least one thoughtfully researched measure, Auburn is the 8th-most talented team in the country and Louisville is 42nd. Even given Petrino's wizardry, that's quite a disparity. The offenses will at least almost maximize their potential, and Auburn's potential is higher based purely on talent. And that's about all we know about this game.

We can cite the experience of our OL all we want, but the fact is that not one single guy has started at his current position at the same time that either of the guys next to him started at theirs. Austin Golson has never played center in college and certainly never snapped a ball to Jeremy Johnson in an actual game. The center is, like, sorta important.

I could go on about the inexperience of our RBs, the lack of production to date from our defense and- does anybody know anything about our special teams, other than that Carlson should be "good enough"? Honest question?- but I doubt anybody's still reading. Even still, I think we'll win this game and a lot more after it, but some folks might do well to at least consider the possibility that there might be some growing pains.

Growing pains? What? During the first week of the season? What???? We will start in fifth gear and not let off the gas [cue sarcasm]. Good points, but I still think the difference in the game (since both teams will experience week 1 growing pains) will be Malzahn's ability to use the many playmakers we have on offense, and I think that our defense is not a detriment to us as much as their offense is to them (regardless of what Petrino may have done in the Arkansas game years ago). And yes, I did read to the very end of your statement.

But most of the OL have played together to some extent. I don't think them lining up differently is going be big hindrance. I think the OL is gonna be the strength of the O. From practice videos they seem to be blending well and working hard.

Roc and Barber do have some game experience, which makes a difference. Robinson is coming from JUCO so he is adjusting to speed of SEC big boy ball. I think with the experience up front and at QB, the RBs are gonna be quite good!

I think the D is most critical. I actually think the O will be better and more consistent than 2013 or 2014, as I just believe JJ is a more polished and complete passing QB and with some experienced guys at WR it will make a world of difference. If CWM works his magic with the D, it could be a really good year. Hopefully, the coaching flips the switch on the returning players and they have grown.

Archived