Alabama State, anyone?

PigskinPat

It appears we have scheduled the football powerhouse of Alabama State to our 2018 schedule:

http://www.saturdayd...nt-2018-season/

Auburn announces non-conference opponent for 2018 season

USATSI_8124528-650x342.jpg

sds-feature-overlay.png

Auburn will host Alabama State on Nov. 17, 2018, the school announced Saturday.

The home game at Jordan-Hare Stadium will mark the first meeting between the two programs.

I would prefer to play only FBS opponents, even if they are in-state schools. So while I wouldn't mind playing Troy, UAB, or South Alabama - I'd like to leave off the FCS opponents whether it's Alabama St., Alabama A&M, UNA, Jacksonville St., etc.

I love that we schedule in state opponents. I think it is very respectful to our other state institutions and keeps money "at home"

Im an AAMU alum, and I have TONS of respect for Auburn for scheduling in-state schools like mine and Alabama State. Our smaller schools are in dire need for sports revenue and exposure. I hope this continues.

I'll fess up, and I hope this doesn't get me banned or flamed...I've always been an Alabama fan, not the looney type (I always pull for AU aside for the Iron Bowl). But I've lost a lot of respect for UA because they refuse to show in-state FCS schools any love. The UAB debacle was the last straw. I'll never look at Bama the same.

I visited Auburn when AAMU played a visit in 2012. I was blown away with how warm and friendly the environment was. It truly is a family. I'll be there again next year when my dawgs play AU.

I love that we schedule in state opponents. I think it is very respectful to our other state institutions and keeps money "at home"

Im an AAMU alum, and I have TONS of respect for Auburn for scheduling in-state schools like mine and Alabama State. Our smaller schools are in dire need for sports revenue and exposure. I hope this continues.

I'll fess up, and I hope this doesn't get me banned or flamed...I've always been an Alabama fan, not the looney type (I always pull for AU aside for the Iron Bowl). But I've lost a lot of respect for UA because they refuse to show in-state FCS schools any love. The UAB debacle was the last straw. I'll never look at Bama the same.

I visited Auburn when AAMU played a visit in 2012. I was blown away with how warm and friendly the environment was. It truly is a family. I'll be there again next year when my dawgs play AU.

Hope you post more here.

So long as our SEC schedule is strong enough to permit playing FCS opponents without penalty, I can't see myself being in opposition to scheduling those games.

I'm curious, Titan, what's your argument for not playing those schools? I'm open to persuasion if there is something I'm not considering.

I'm glad they are doing this. Good move AU.

As noted, most SEC schools play a game like this and at least the money stays in the state.....I'm OK with this....

As noted, most SEC schools play a game like this and at least the money stays in the state.....I'm OK with this....

Keeping money in-state is commendable. Bama would rather pay a low level FBS out of state opponent 1 million instead of a bare bones FCS for 500k. Pathetic.

Keeping money in-state is commendable. Bama would rather pay a low level FBS out of state opponent 1 million instead of a bare bones FCS for 500k. Pathetic.

I believe that, as the most high profile schools in the state, AU and UA owe it to the state to support the other state schools by giving them one game per year. It only makes our state better and keeps much needed money in the state.

I believe that, as the most high profile schools in the state, AU and UA owe it to the state to support the other state schools by giving them one game per year. It only makes our state better and keeps much needed money in the state.

That it does. AU has gained my respect for doing that. 500k-1M may not mean much to the high profile schools, but when your program has to fundraise for basic necessities like coaches headsets, it means a lot.

I would prefer to play only FBS opponents, even if they are in-state schools. So while I wouldn't mind playing Troy, UAB, or South Alabama - I'd like to leave off the FCS opponents whether it's Alabama St., Alabama A&M, UNA, Jacksonville St., etc.

Any SEC team that is competeing for national titles has no business playing FCS opponents, particularly not in November. But, if we are going to do it, then I'm happy the money is going to an in-state school.

Very glad to see this. Classy move. uat should be filled with shame for not playing in state schools. Sometimes the RIGHT thing to do is not what is best for you. It's just THE right thing to do. Kudos to the AU Athletic Dept.

That it does. AU has gained my respect for doing that. 500k-1M may not mean much to the high profile schools, but when your program has to fundraise for basic necessities like coaches headsets, it means a lot.

You're absolutely right dawg. Glad to see AU keeping the money in state. LSU does the same thing, yearly.

Jacobs is scared of Troy for some reason.

That's completely ridiculous.

Of course it is....it's Gus who wants nothing to do with Troy.....everyone knows that.....

I thought FCS teams were going to be phazed out. Any chance this hurts us in the CFP committee in 2018 while other schools are scheduling low level FBS schools instead?

Archived