Obama renames Mt. McKinely to Denali

AURaptor

President Obama announced Sunday that his administration is renaming Alaska’s Mount McKinley to Denali, the name that nearby natives have long used.

By taking action to officially name the 20,000-foot peak Denali, Obama is taking the Alaska Natives‘ side in a dispute that has stretched on for more than a century.

“Generally believed to be central to the Athabascan creation story, Denali is a site of significant cultural importance to many Alaska Natives,” the White House said in a Sunday fact sheet. “The name ‘Denali’ has been used for many years and is widely used across the state today.”

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said the change recognizes that Denali is sacred to many Alaskans.

“The name Denali has been official for use by the State of Alaska since 1975, but even more importantly, the mountain has been known as Denali for generations,” said Jewell, who is responsible for the Board on Geographic Names, the federal body in charge of place names.

I had no idea it was the official state name for 40 years now.

What I don't understand is why Mr Global Warming President would go name a mountain in Alaska after an SUV ???

On principle I hate the move, because Obama did it, but Denali is a pretty cool name.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

President Obama announced Sunday that his administration is renaming Alaska’s Mount McKinley to Denali, the name that nearby natives have long used.

By taking action to officially name the 20,000-foot peak Denali, Obama is taking the Alaska Natives‘ side in a dispute that has stretched on for more than a century.

“Generally believed to be central to the Athabascan creation story, Denali is a site of significant cultural importance to many Alaska Natives,” the White House said in a Sunday fact sheet. “The name ‘Denali’ has been used for many years and is widely used across the state today.”

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said the change recognizes that Denali is sacred to many Alaskans.

“The name Denali has been official for use by the State of Alaska since 1975, but even more importantly, the mountain has been known as Denali for generations,” said Jewell, who is responsible for the Board on Geographic Names, the federal body in charge of place names.

What I don't understand is why Mr Global Warming President would go name a mountain in Alaska after an SUV ???

On principle I hate the move, because Obama did it, but Denali is a pretty cool name.

The SUV was actually named after the mountain to begin with.

The SUV was actually named after the mountain to begin with.

As was the national park that the mountain is in.

I'm pretty sure the SUV came first.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

( geeze, what a humorless bunch of sods there are on this board :P )

I'm pretty sure the SUV came first.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

( geeze, what a humorless bunch of sods there are on this board :P )

I'm with you on this one. That SUV already had a national park named after it. I bet this has something to do with the UAW.

I was hoping for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mt. barry..

I went over to Fox News to see what their commenters thought.

http://www.foxnews.c...hat-focuses-on/

Comedy gold

Well, I'd be pretty upset too if I were from Ohio and one of my state's native sons had just been dissed.

Missed the 'comedy gold' from the link. The FOX announcers simply reported the news. :gofig:

Comedy gold

Well, I'd be pretty upset too if I were from Ohio and one of my state's native sons had just been dissed.

Missed the 'comedy gold' from the link. The FOX announcers simply reported the news. :gofig:/>

Read the comments.

The name of the mountain should have never been changed... the first time. It was Denali before it was McKinley. I wonder if Obama changes the name back if McKinley was a Democrat?

Comedy gold

Missed the 'comedy gold' from the link. The FOX announcers simply reported the news. :gofig:/>

Read the comments.

I watched the video.

Those comments are nothing but partisans from either side to take shots at one another, regardless of the issue.

So totally unlike what we do here ! :P

“The Arctic is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world and is experiencing the consequences,” the White House also said Sunday.

Summer Snow to Greet Obama on Alaska Climate Trip

August 30th, 2015 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

When President Obama visits Alaska this week to campaign for a new international agreement to fight global warming climate change, Alaska will be experiencing colder than normal weather and forecast summer snows, as seen in this WeatherBell.com graphic of forecast total snowfall by Friday:

:laugh:

Crassic !

Common sense move. Ohioans need to get over it. McKinley never even set foot in Alaska in his lifetime. The mountain already had a name.

Mt Rushmore gonna be next? Blast the 4 dead white guys off the face of the cliff ?

I agree, that the folks in Ohio have no business getting bent over a mountain in Alaska being named for what the locals in ALASKA have named it since who knows when. Not Ohio's to name. They can pick THEIR tallest mountain and name it for McKinley ! :P

Common sense move. Ohioans need to get over it. McKinley never even set foot in Alaska in his lifetime. The mountain already had a name.

Mt Rushmore gonna be next? Blast the 4 dead white guys off the face of cliff ?

I don't think they two are exactly equivalent since there's no blasting to be done in this situation. Simply returned it to its original name.

Originally known to the Lakota Siouxas Six Grandfathers, the mountain was renamed after Charles E. Rushmore, a prominent New York lawyer, during an expedition in 1885.[9]

Just sayin'.

Rename it then. Still doesn't require blasting anyone of it.

I was half kidding about the blasting part, but with the current trend of removing all symbols of the confederacy, the same logic could be applied to any and all European settlers ( invaders ).

“The Arctic is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world and is experiencing the consequences,” the White House also said Sunday.

Summer Snow to Greet Obama on Alaska Climate Trip

August 30th, 2015 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

When President Obama visits Alaska this week to campaign for a new international agreement to fight global warming climate change, Alaska will be experiencing colder than normal weather and forecast summer snows, as seen in this WeatherBell.com graphic of forecast total snowfall by Friday:

:laugh:

Crassic !

It's not inconsistent with a warming planet at all. Spencer is a hyperpartisan loon.

It seems to never fail, when ever some global warming conference is called or some event is scheduled, it seems to be met with unusual cold ,ice whatever.

Spencer is a weather guy. He calls it like he sees it, and for that he gets called hyper partisan?

It seems to never fail, when ever some global warming conference is called or some event is scheduled, it seems to be met with unusual cold ,ice whatever.

They're engaging in the same fallacy he is. Being cold or historically hot in Alaska is an example of localized weather and is not an indicator or predictor of global climate.

Spencer is a weather guy. He calls it like he sees it, and for that he gets called hyper partisan?

Spencer is being deliberately dishonest and he should know better. He's also a serial violator of Godwin's Law.

Enough with the clichéd Internet tactics, please. I could show you a half a dozen events/conferences that were called off or changed due to cold weather. Why don't you guys just get a grip and stop this political driven nonsense ?

Enough with the clichéd Internet tactics, please. I could show you a half a dozen events/conferences that were called off or changed due to cold weather. Why don't you guys just get a grip and stop this political driven nonsense ?

Why don't you get a grip and accept the vast majority of scientists studying the matter's conclusion? :Sing:

Why? Because consensus is not science. That is why. There's far too much smoke and fire to ignore this isn't a political driven issue. It undeniably is.

Why? Because consensus is not science. That is why. There's far too much smoke and fire to ignore this isn't a political driven issue. It undeniably is.

The only reason it's politicized is because of people's propensity to reject what the folks in the know are telling them.

I'm done. Gotta un-hijackjack the mountain thread.

Archived