2017 4* LB Will Ignont (Vols 10/26/16)

McLoofus

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Transferring to IMG, will be interesting to see how this effects his recruitment since he has been so high on AU for a long time.

Been higher on Updyke from what I understand. I actually think it could be to our benefit.

Transferring to IMG, will be interesting to see how this effects his recruitment since he has been so high on AU for a long time.

Been higher on Updyke from what I understand. I actually think it could be to our benefit.

Could be wrong, but don't think that's right. Believe he has always had AU as his leader.

Maybe he will get our foot in the door at IMG. We need to be able to recruit that school as it has so many great players,

Maybe he will get our foot in the door at IMG. We need to be able to recruit that school as it has so many great players,

I only live about 4 miles from there if folks want to contribute for the brown bag...I can deliver it...

J/K

• 2 months later...

Free Read

7_4330186.jpg

BRADENTON, Fla., — Familiarity with the program and with the staff are among the things that have Auburn trending with 4-star linebacker target Will Ignont of IMG Academy, he said Sunday.

Will Ignont is one of Auburn's top overall targets.

“Auburn is still my No. 1,” Ignont said. “Pretty much everyone on the coaching staff I’m good with. I look up to those guys as father figures. Coach (Tim) Horton — I’ve been around him since my freshman year. Coach (Travis Williams) — I’ve been around those guys. And even Coach (Kevin) Steele, I’ve been around him since freshman year when he was at Alabama. And even when he went to LSU we kept a good relationship. With him going to Auburn, that just betters their chances of landing me. All those guys and just Coach (Gus Malzahn) — being able to talk to him one-on-one like he’s any other coach and not the head coach … it’s just great. I always feel at home every time I’m on campus.”

The 6-foot-2, 238-pound Ignont, an Alabama native, is the No. 5 inside backer in the 247Sports Composite.

He’s a top Auburn target and has visited the Tigers more than anyone else. But Auburn will have to fight off some other programs to get him in the class.

“Definitely Auburn, Notre Dame and Georgia are standing out — that’s my top three right now,” Ignont said. He added Michigan and UCLA are others in the hunt.

Ignont has visited the Bulldogs “three or four times” and plans to return soon.

“With (Georgia coach) Kirby Smart, I’ve had a relationship with him since he was at Alabama,” Ignont said. “He’s a real laid-back guy. He’s real cool. He’s going to be straight with you. I know he puts guys in the next level and that’s where I want to be at.”

Ignont has yet to visit Notre Dame, but plans to this summer. While Auburn and Georgia like him inside, the Irish projects him as an outside backer.

Ignont is trying to keep an open mind. In a college program, he is looking for “whatever is going to get me to the NFL and whatever is going to push me to be the best student athlete I can be.”

At Auburn, Ignont sees a bright future for Williams, the program’s first-year linebackers coach.

“I think he’s going to be great,” Ignont said.

According to Ignont, the Tigers are pushing for a verbal. But he might not make his college commitment for a few more months.

“Auburn wants me to come in and be that guy,” Ignont said. “They want me to commit early.”

How does Ignont compare to say Josh Bynes out of HS? Size wise they seem comparable.

That would be a question for Bird. He understands those things.

How does Ignont compare to say Josh Bynes out of HS? Size wise they seem comparable.

Bynes was also a 4* LB from Florida. Beyond that, who can say? Bynes was very smart on the field, probably his greatest strength. It's way too early to tell about the things that can't be measured. I'd hazard a guess and say as far as measurables go they are about the same size and Ignont is probably faster. Bynes wasn't noted for speed.

Mikey is right on measurable we have a stud. He is also mentioned things you can't measure like smart on the field sometimes referred to as football IQ. Especially at Linebacker Football IQ is the difference maker. All the speed and size in the world are useless if you don't make the correct read quickly so you can get into position to make the play. That was probably one of the biggest knocks on some of recent linebackers as they were late getting into position so they either didn't make the play or they made the play after a substantial gain by the other team. That is often the difference to a 1st down run getting 3 yards or less and a 1st down run getting 5+ yards. In first scenario Defense is in drivers seat on 2nd down in second scenario Offense is in drivers seat on 2nd down.

Linebackers because of the variety of things they do on defense usually call the plays, plug holes on run, blitz and play pass coverage they are the heart and soul of a defense. Here is hoping we get this kid and that he also has all the tools to go with his size and speed.

Ignont is from AL originally, IIRC.

From what i can gather from several sources, and a few intrawebz, we lead for Ignont, Benton, Moultry, and Wooten.

Not saying we sign all four, but I don't think we fall short at LB this year.

ETA: Bammer is after Moultry pretty hard.

Yup & some of his family want him there. He told SEC Country 2 days ago AU & Bama are tied again.

Yup & some of his family want him there. He told SEC Country 2 days ago AU & Bama are tied again.

He just too Scout that he has no current leaders after UGA just offered

He just too Scout that he has no current leaders after UGA just offered

He did not say he opened things back up because UGA offered as you are thinking. Trust me. Some of his fam are pushing him to Bama.

From what i can gather from several sources, and a few intrawebz, we lead for Ignont, Benton, Moultry, and Wooten.

I hope you are right. We are due!

Just a decent season helps put some of these guys in our camp.

I'm doubtful that we will be able sign two of the above. I'd be happy with two, delighted with any three of those.

PS: I don't mean I'd be happy with signing only two linebackers. I mean I'd be happy with two of those and two more of the "diamond in the rough" types that seem to be our normal catch at LB.

Archived