Weekly Presser - AU vs. Louisville

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn

Malzahn: "We're very excited it's game week. ... Also excited to be playing in Atlanta in the Dome."

Malzahn on Louisville's defense: Todd Grantham is good at what he does ... and they added transfers from UGA and TCU

Malzahn notes eight freshmen on the two-deep on offense for Auburn -- not including Kerryon Johnson, but he will play

Duke Williams listed as an -OR- starter at WR. Malzahn says he's still working his way back up following suspension

Malzahn says "we're getting close" to naming team captains for the season.

Malzahn on LBs: "Any time you have competition, it brings out the best in everybody. ... You'll see multiple guys"

Malzahn: "There's going to be some growing pains, and we know that."

Gus on Roc: "He had a good spring, a good fall. He'll be the 1st one to go out there, but those other guys will play"

Malzahn: Freshman WR Ryan Davis reminds him of Marcus Davis as a freshman.

Malzahn on left guard: "Both of them have done a really outstanding job. Both of them deserve to play."

Malzahn: Don't read too much into the "or" at LBs. says it all goes back to the daily competition on defense

Malzahn on center "Golson earned the starting job. He's really done a good job for a guy who hadn't played center b4"

Gus on Jalen Harris: "What's impressed me is how physical he's been as a freshman. ... Played similar position in HS"

Malzahn on FR on two-deep: It's a little bit of confidence, a little bit out of necessity ... but they had to earn it

Gus on key to Jeremy's patience: "I think it's his character, the way he was brought up with his parents."

@AUBlog

Auburn's Gus Malzahn announced wide receiver Myron Burton has left the team. "It was a mutual decision." Wished him the best

Gus Malzahn says eight true freshman on Auburn's two-deep depth chart "stands out to me."

Gus Malzahn says kicker Daniel Carlson and new punter Kevin Phillips have had good fall camps

Linebacker unsettled on depth chart. "Competition brings out best of everybody. You'll see multiple guys the first game," says Gus Malzahn.

Gus Malzahn on running backs: "Roc Thomas will be the first one to go out there" but says Peyton Barber and Jovon Robinson will also play

@AUGoldMine

Jeremy Johnson

Johnson: I don't really have the jitters or anything right now. ... We feel pretty good as a team & we're all excited

Johnson: "Austin (Golson) is one of my best buddies on the team. I feel good about him. He's very smart."

Johnson on Roc: "Roc is a very, very elusive player. ... We feel good about him and what he brings to the team."

Johnson says the last couple weeks they've been working on 2-minute and late-game scenarios.

Jeremy Johnson says they typically have the first nine plays of a game scripted. Says he'll ask Malzahn later today

Johnson on having family nearby: "My people are my heart and soul. ... Just having them close means a lot."

@AUBlog

Auburn QB Jeremy Johnson on opening in Georgia Dome: "I'm going to love it. I'm going to enjoy everywhere I go, everywhere I play."

@AUGoldMine

DaVonte Lambert

Lambert on his Pee-Wee nickname: Stems from him being a premature baby. His aunt gave him the nickname.

Lambert on chatter w/ Cowart's arrival "That comes with it. He's the No. 1 player in HS. ... He's a great player."

Lambert: When Cowart came in, he was lacking effort. ... Now he understands what we have to do in practice.

Lambert said one of Cowart's biggest issues when he got here was fighting through double-teams, hand placement, etc.

Lambert on Auburn's starting line in the Rabbit package: Dontavius, Montravius, Carl Lawson and Raashed Kennion

Lambert said Devaroe Lawrence has grown up a lot this last year, notes he was very immature when he got to Auburn

Lambert on Lawrence: "He's a freak. His body isn't made for speed -- but he has speed."

What's Lambert looking forward to most about playing in the Georgia Dome? "I'm looking forward to winning."

@AUBlog

Gotta love Lambert's comment on What he is looking forward to the most about playing in the Ga Dome......Answer: I'm looking forward to winning.

Gotta love Lambert's comment on What he is looking forward to the most about playing in the Ga Dome......Answer: I'm looking forward to winning.

One of the best quotes I've seen in a while to be sure.

Burton not on the team stands out to me.. said to be mutual There are several that have already lost their "Mark my Words" predictions.

Agreed. That's a good one.

Burton not on the team stands out to me.. said to be mutual There are several that have already lost their "Mark my Words" predictions.

I was surprised at that one.

I like Lambert's candor. He sends messages to his fellow teammates, especially if they pay any attention to these interviews.

I'd be paying attention. Dang! lol.

Anyone know what the rabbit package is??

The Jordan Hare Special?

*slow clap*

You know how you get tired of reading about pre-season predictions/analyses/projections, etc? That's where I am right now. Just ready for the season to begin.

JJ6 and Lambert videos added to OPs ...

Thanks. All of these continue to be entertaining.

I think we're starting to take for granted just how well Gus handles himself in front of a microphone. Total composure at all times while providing thoughtful and honest answers to the questions he's being asked. I missed the frustration that others noted in recent interviews, and I really don't see any of it here. He's fully engaged and even keeled. Then he gets on the sideline and is all fire. Is it Saturday yet?

I think we're starting to take for granted just how well Gus handles himself in front of a microphone. Total composure at all times while providing thoughtful and honest answers to the questions he's being asked. I missed the frustration that others noted in recent interviews, and I really don't see any of it here. He's fully engaged and even keeled. Then he gets on the sideline and is all fire. Is it Saturday yet?

This is the best Gus interview I've seen in a week or two. I like everything he said except for the part about Burton leaving.

Nope, but it IS football eve!

I think Gus, lately, has seemed to be extremely confident in front of the microphones. Yes, there is a lot of coach speak, but he has figured out how to integrate it into a southern, aw-shucks-but-filled-with-competence vibe. His interviews used to be marked by a nervous, almost impatient energy, and that's fallen almost entirely by the wayside.

How's this for a comparison- he reminds me a little of Jimmy Carter in an interview.

Nope, but it IS football eve!

I think Gus, lately, has seemed to be extremely confident in front of the microphones. Yes, there is a lot of coach speak, but he has figured out how to integrate it into a southern, aw-shucks-but-filled-with-competence vibe. His interviews used to be marked by a nervous, almost impatient energy, and that's fallen almost entirely by the wayside.

How's this for a comparison- he reminds me a little of Jimmy Carter in an interview.

I think that's quite a compliment, but I'll sit back and enjoy the barrage of rotten vegetables from the gallery that is sure to ensue :)

Archived