What do we know about our new starting punter?

thaitopher

Legitimate question given our serious liability at that position last year.

He's good enough that they've said with no uncertainty that Carlson won't have to punt this year. That sounds like improvement. And is about all I've got.

He's good enough that they've said with no uncertainty that Carlson won't have to punt this year. That sounds like improvement. And is about all I've got.

His leg is not like Bama's punter.mhe won't kick the ball out of the stadium, but I think the coaches think he gets good enough distance and at the same time he keeps the ball in the air a pretty long time too.

His leg is not like Bama's punter.mhe won't kick the ball out of the stadium, but I think the coaches think he gets good enough distance and at the same time he keeps the ball in the air a pretty long time too.

These responses sound concerning. Doesn't sound like the highest praise for a punter...crossing my fingers.

I'm using my phone to post this. I just watched film of Phillips punting the ball. He looks legit. Gets the ball way up in the air. He definitely looks way better than what we dealt with last year. This should help Shannon a lot as well.

Could've described Steven Clark the same way. YES, PLEASE.

(Seriously, thanks for the intel.)

Should help Carlson's other kicking duties....if you check the stats, his punting last year (average, etc) was pretty much in line with what we've had for the past several years. If I recall, it was his backup(s) that had most of the problems. And the extra work apparently hurt DC on kick -offs and FGs.

That's where I'm hoping to see the improvement.

Meanwhile, I'm in the "don't punt once you cross your own 40" school of thought....especially on those notorious 4th and 1 punts.

These responses sound concerning. Doesn't sound like the highest praise for a punter...crossing my fingers.

More important than a really long punt is a long enough punt that can't be returned. What JFD describes here and in his subsequent post is high praise, indeed.

Good enough to be named punter on a team that won't need to punt all year!

At least I hope so.

I watched his highlights. Has good hang time from what I can tell. That is important as it gives our guys time to run downfield, hopefully limiting returns to little, if any, yardage

AU has had really good kickers for a long time. We may be a bit spoiled. These punters are young. Give them time. They'll get the job done.

I've heard from reliable sources that our plan is to not punt at all this year, to only score touchdowns!

Carlson is able to kick FG around 50-60 yards, too.

What I have heard.... Nothing spectacular,but steady. I think you are looking at 40-45yard punts....

What I have heard.... Nothing spectacular,but steady. I think you are looking at 40-45yard punts....

Steven Clark was our best punter since Terry Daniel, and his punts tended to be 40-45 yarders that stayed in the air long enough for his coverage to catch up to them. That high trajectory is also part of what allowed him to pin so many inside the 10. If this kid can do that, then I'd call that spectacular.

Steven Clark was our best punter since Terry Daniel, and his punts tended to be 40-45 yarders that stayed in the air long enough for his coverage to catch up to them. That high trajectory is also part of what allowed him to pin so many inside the 10. If this kid can do that, then I'd call that spectacular.

What made Steven Clark so incredible was his ability to stick the ball inside the 10 yard line. If our new punter can even come close to where Clark was at, I would be more than happy.

Net yardage is the key stat there. Have good distance with really good hang time and you will be very effective.The coverage has to be there too. That was as much of a problem as anything else.

Net yardage is the key stat there. Have good distance with really good hang time and you will be very effective.The coverage has to be there too. That was as much of a problem as anything else.

Last year it seemed like we had good coverage. On the other side I seem to remember a lot of what was initially great returns then the returner fumbled by trying to do too much. Also a lot of running into our own guys.

Net yardage is the key stat there. Have good distance with really good hang time and you will be very effective.

Exactly. 55 yard punts where you outkick your coverage and they return it 25 yards < a 45 yard punt and fair catch.

Was Terry Daniel the punter that Jackie Sherrill accused of punting with helium in the football? That was funny for sure!

Archived