Supposedly Louisville has the best defensive front 7 in the ACC

gr82b4au

I say look no further than 2009 for those of you who are worried. How'd that offense turn out? In Gus I trust.

Look at 2009? I'd rather not. That's the year Petrino and the Pigs clobbered Auburn, with Petrino's offense laying 44 points on us, and Malzahn's offense struggling.

This year will not be another 2009. It could be a tough game, but not like that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say look no further than 2009 for those of you who are worried. How'd that offense turn out? In Gus I trust.

Look at 2009? I'd rather not. That's the year Petrino and the Pigs clobbered Auburn, with Petrino's offense laying 44 points on us, and Malzahn's offense struggling.

This year will not be another 2009. It could be a tough game, but not like that.

My point- that year we had an underwhelming QB, no go to WR, mix and match backfield with talent. Ended up just fine. This year we have much more to work with. I'm not worried about our O's production as long as Gus is here. He had me at Chris Todd.

Dude, I'd be careful with statements like that, I'm not so sure why most people think we're going to walk all over Louisville.

And frankly, I think a top 6 ranking and people picking us to be a playoff team are smoking something. I hope they are correct but we still have a lot to prove in my opinion.

The way I see it:

-New starting QB without a lot of experience

-Having to replace a 4-year starter at center; this might be more important than the change at QB

-None of our RB's have much experience

-Our top producing WR is gone

-Not much depth on defense; how many DB's transferred? None of them were starters or had done enough to miss them, but depth is lacking.

-Continually underperforming LB's

Don't get me wrong,I think we'll be better than last year, but this team is mostly potential at the moment. The potential, though, is exciting and has me ready.

I like this guy.

DITTO !!!

Dude, I'd be careful with statements like that, I'm not so sure why most people think we're going to walk all over Louisville.

And frankly, I think a top 6 ranking and people picking us to be a playoff team are smoking something. I hope they are correct but we still have a lot to prove in my opinion.

The way I see it:

-Having to replace a 4-year starter at center; this might be more important than the change at QB

-Not much depth on defense; how many DB's transferred? None of them were starters or had done enough to miss them, but depth is lacking.

Don't get me wrong,I think we'll be better than last year, but this team is mostly potential at the moment. The potential, though, is exciting and has me ready.

I like this guy.

DITTO !!!

I agree. I am not ready to buy the SEC Championship Game tickets just yet, but the potential of this team makes me like the odds.

We have potential and unknowns and UL has potential and unknowns. While I am not sold on our O-Line yet we have a whole lot more experience on our O-Line then UL has on theirs with just 6 Starts. Every one of our O-Linemen was a starter for one or more seasons except Braden Smith. Remember Golson started at tackle at Ole Miss 2 years ago. Our O-Line is new as a unit. Their O-line will be their Achilles heel. You lose up front you lose.

We have potential and unknowns and UL has potential and unknowns. While I am not sold on our O-Line yet we have a whole lot more experience on our O-Line then UL has on theirs with just 6 Starts. Every one of our O-Linemen was a starter for one or more seasons except Braden Smith. Remember Golson started at tackle at Ole Miss 2 years ago. Our O-Line is new as a unit. Their O-line will be their Achilles heel. You lose up front you lose.

This.

Not to mention if Braden struggles we can always move Kozen or Danzey over to RG to shore that up if we find that Braden struggles. So we still have the depth there if need be.

My point- that year we had an underwhelming QB, no go to WR, mix and match backfield with talent. Ended up just fine. This year we have much more to work with. I'm not worried about our O's production as long as Gus is here. He had me at Chris Todd.

Huh? Auburn was 8-5 in 2009 with a 3-5 SEC record. Auburn not only lost to Latrino's Arkansas team, but even lost to Kentucky that year. It was a miserable year. (And by the way, Darvin Adams was not a shabby WR.)

I'm confident that this will not be a 2009-type year. Auburn may not win every game. Auburn may not win the West. But Auburn will not be 8-5, and mark my words, Auburn will not lose to Kentucky.

Huh? Auburn was 8-5 in 2009 with a 3-5 SEC record. Auburn not only lost to Latrino's Arkansas team, but even lost to Kentucky that year. It was a miserable year. (And by the way, Darvin Adams was not a shabby WR.)

I'm confident that this will not be a 2009-type year. Auburn may not win every game. Auburn may not win the West. But Auburn will not be 8-5, and mark my words, Auburn will not lose to Kentucky.

You're having trouble distinguishing between "offense" and "football team". Chris Todd set the record for passing touchdowns at Auburn in 2009. Ben Tate played his way into a 2nd round draft pick. Auburn finished 16th in total offense. Considering what Gus inherited, that offense was pretty sick.

and 2 transfers from UGA in the starting defensive backfield. This is according to many of the people that cover UL... they think this may be the best defense they have had in many, many years.

While people have been talking about our defense (and rightfully so - it has been terrible for 8 years), I think this season is actually going to come down to our offense. This is a perfect game to see how we are going to stack up against other SEC teams when it comes to our offense. How is JJ going to respond to being the starter? Will our OL gel the first game? Can the WRs create space?

I think we pass with flying colors. I think this team is hungry.

Can't wait!

While UL might have a good D, AU offense has smoked better defenses, i.e. Bama last year.

I disagree about the Offense, I think this years offense is as poised as ever to be stellar and could possibly end up being CGMs best in college. JJ comes in with two solid years under his belt, geared to take over since the end of last season. I believe JJ is a more polished passer than NM was and I think JJ can run, he was just not the playmaker last year like NM was. Although there are new starters on the OL, these starters are NOT without experience, which is most important. Golson beat out an OL who had been backing up Dismukes for the past couple of years, so he knew the offense. I think that shows Golson's talent and intellect. Same with the rest of the OL, these guys have been around each other for at least a year, since B. Smith is in year two on the Plains, the other guys have been around for two or more. I think AU is pretty solid at WR and RB, now HB has two new guys so there is lack of experience there.

I agree with others about the depth in secondary. I think AU is solid on DL and at LB. I think the LBs will show improvement just b/c of the coaching from CWM.

It will be a close game for first 2-2.5 quarters but I think AU wins 37-20.

I like this analysis. The only thing you left out was team chemistry, which I think should also be better this year.

You're having trouble distinguishing between "offense" and "football team". Chris Todd set the record for passing touchdowns at Auburn in 2009. Ben Tate played his way into a 2nd round draft pick. Auburn finished 16th in total offense. Considering what Gus inherited, that offense was pretty sick.

And the offense was good enough to make up for Gene Chizik's coaching, a QB with a surgically repaired shoulder, and one of the thinnest defenses as far as depth we've probably ever had. And he did it with the same players who were ranked in the 100s in offensive production and were 5-7 the previous year.

The way I see it:

--Yeah, the ole "not enough experience at QB" angle. Sorry, not buying it. If ever a QB with not enough experience was ready to step into a starter's role, it's JJ who has apprenticed 2 years behind Marshall. You might want to check the experience level of the UL starting QB ... whomever it will be.

--Not worried about the experience level of the two centers we have battling it out for the starting job, either - both are essentially RS JRs, with the named starter having previous starting experience.

--Not much RB experience. So? How much experience did Tre Mason or CAP have in each of their break out years? RBU is not lacking for talent at this position. If anything, it's another embarrassment of riches year.

--Ummm ... yeah. Williams played in 3 less games than Coates, and lost the receiving yds battle to Coates 730 to 741.

--Not much depth at DB. Well, you're right about that. Every team will be have depth problems at some position -- AU's happens to be here. Good thing we have 2 experienced transfers with starting experience, yeah?

--Could have been the scheme or coaching. LBs have a new position coach & a new coordinator, so there's that. At least no one's complaining about depth here.

While I think because the season hasn't started yet and we have way too much time on our hands most of you are over analysing this. Especially our own players.

JJ, while having limited experience, has used that limited experience well. His first play from scrimmage as a true freshman was a TD. And he has done nothing but impress ever since. He lit up Arky for a half last year playing better than most starting qb's from around the league as a back up. You guys need to stop worrying about JJ. He's going to be great, possibly the best qb Auburn has ever had. Bad before you start with the Cam comparison, Cam was great, but he still had room for improvement. My only question about JJ is when does he reach his celing? Be cause so far there doesn't appear to be one.

Our Oline all have starting experience. Our rbs all have playing experience in college fb. Most of them in the sec. Our receivers will be an upgrade without coats doing his usual "if the ball is just off my fingertips I'm not leaning for it just gonna watch it drop" 95 percent of the time. A deal threat with that much speed should never have let that many great passes that should have been caught hit the ground. I loved Coats early on when he was playing like the clip in my signature. Bit his last 2 years of watching the ball drop just off his fingertips and not laying out to make the catch, cured me of that. I believe our receiver corp will be much improved this year.

My only question is how much improved is our D? That's the real question. But none of it will matter against the birds. We got this game.

Thats like saying I have the most reliable Ford Pinto

Easy, some of the younger guys will have to google "Ford Pinto"!

Guilty as charged.

I think that we will be okay offensively. We have put up obnoxious points on top SEC defenses. The question that I am asking is if we will have a defense with a consistent pulse.

Either or Defense will be much improved.....or......Coach Muschamp will be in the hospital by halftime with a brain bleed..........Just sayin'....He is a little intense. :wareagle:

Either or Defense will be much improved.....or......Coach Muschamp will be in the hospital by halftime with a brain bleed..........Just sayin'....He is a little intense. :wareagle:

I'm surprised he lived through his tenure at Florida, where he had to worry about everything instead of just defense.

35 points on the landshark, 41 on the bengals from red stick, 44 points and 620 yards vs uat defense; we'll be fine

What about UGA. UL played them in the belk bowl and the UL fans are using that as a barometer.

35 points on the landshark, 41 on the bengals from red stick, 44 points and 620 yards vs uat defense; we'll be fine

What about UGA. UL played them in the belk bowl and the UL fans are using that as a barometer.

I maintain we didn't 'play' UGA last year.

That wasn't my Auburn Tigers out there because the Tigers I know wouldn't have laid out there to die.

I maintain we didn't 'play' UGA last year.

That wasn't my Auburn Tigers out there because the Tigers I know wouldn't have laid out there to die.

Lol. This post made me laugh more than it should have. But you're right, the team that played UGA was defeated before they even stepped on the field. That Texas A&M game did us in.

Archived