Gary Danielson on AU ...

RunInRed

He'll be calling AU vs. Louisville on Saturday; observed an AU practice this week ...

Danielson: What I saw from Auburn yesterday was from 1 to 85 a much more talented team than the one that won the national championship.

@openingdrive

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll be calling AU vs. Louisville on Saturday; observed an AU practice this week ...

Danielson: What I saw from Auburn yesterday was from 1 to 85 a much more talented team than the one that won the national championship.

@openingdrive

Better than tOSU or better than our 2010 team?

WDE_OxPx_2010, I assumed he meant the 2010 team, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I think Gary is confirming something that we've discussed quite a bit on here over the last few weeks: this team is the most loaded we've had since 2004, and that's probably putting it conservatively.

(The point of contention here lately has been about experience, but I'm not sure why, as Stat showed quite plainly that this team is very inexperienced. Then, of course, you've got some guy named Malzone or something saying that the thing that stands out most to him about the 2-deep is eight true freshmen being on it. /threadjack)

I fully believe that this team is more physically gifted than our 2010 team, from top to bottom. The questions I have about this team revolve more around leadership and experience at key positions.

@openingdrive

Awesome. Thanks for the head's up. Already got my finger on the mute button.

How many 2010 guys are on NFL rosters?

How many guys on this roster can be NFL guys? We'll obviously have to take a look at this in 4-5 years to make a completely accurate assessment.

I remember the time Verne was doing live commentary on a replay he thought was live and Daniels had to correct him. Was a classic! How does one confuse that, especially when he was at the game!!!

@openingdrive

Awesome. Thanks for the head's up. Already got my finger on the mute button.

Haha. Classic!! ( Verne's "ohNo" will live in infamy)...

@openingdrive

I'm going to say both because the 2010 team would not have come close to losing to Va. Tech last season. I'm betting he meant 2010 Auburn though.

More from 2010 than I thought: Cam, Nick, Dee Ford (who was around a loooong time), Dyer, McCaleeb (unless he was cut this summer), Slade (RS Freshman), Brandon Mosley, Bynes, Bates, Thorpe, Parkey, I think Steven Clark. That's five years after that season. The list of guys who were in the NFL immediately after the 2010 year would be longer (Ziemba, Blanc, etc.).

More from 2010 than I thought: Cam, Nick, Dee Ford (who was around a loooong time), Dyer, McCaleeb (unless he was cut this summer), Slade (RS Freshman), Brandon Mosley, Bynes, Bates, Thorpe, Parkey, I think Steven Clark. That's five years after that season. The list of guys who were in the NFL immediately after the 2010 year would be longer (Ziemba, Blanc, etc.).

McCalebb got cut yesterday, unfortunately. Won't be surprised if he gets picked back up somewhere.

Did Emory Blake get cut?

Btw, if anybody's curious, 39 guys who were on NFL rosters in July of this year took the field for bama in 2011. That's not a realistic goal, but we should probably shoot for no other team in the country ever having 350% the NFL talent that we do on their roster.

Go back and watch all the AU games Danielson has called starting all the way back to the game in the Swamp in 1994 ( a victory which ranks in the top ten victories all time by AU. Don't think I have felt higher about a tiger victory than after that game...) Danielson has a great ability to predict what is going to happen on a preceding play. Verne is a harmless and good-natured doofus but Danielson is the real deal I think. He also tends to like AU which can't help but make you like him. Damn, how much longer?

McCalebb got cut yesterday, unfortunately. Won't be surprised if he gets picked back up somewhere.

Did Emory Blake get cut?

Btw, if anybody's curious, 39 guys who were on NFL rosters in July of this year took the field for bama in 2011. That's not a realistic goal, but we should probably shoot for no other team in the country ever having 350% the NFL talent that we do on their roster.

Honestly, I wasn't at all curious. But, since we are talking about it, I think it's important to note that the majority of those players were also on the '10 UA team that we beat. Besides, when it comes to total players in the NFL, UA's edge is only 49-41. If Muschamp can get the defense turned around and start developing the players on that side of the ball, I don't see any reason to think that we cant put MORE players into the league than UA. As for me, I will never consider it unrealistic to believe that we either are or can be better than UA in every possible way.

Go back and watch all the AU games Danielson has called starting all the way back to the game in the Swamp in 1994 ( a victory which ranks in the top ten victories all time by AU. Don't think I have felt higher about a tiger victory than after that game...) Danielson has a great ability to predict what is going to happen on a preceding play. Verne is a harmless and good-natured doofus but Danielson is the real deal I think. He also tends to like AU which can't help but make you like him. Damn, how much longer?

Yeah I've always liked Danielson's analysis--he actually does his homework.

@openingdrive

unfortunately everyone else here is more talented...from what I've heard though, top to bottom this team is superior to 2010. With Malzahn here that's a good sign

@openingdrive

I'm going to say both because the 2010 team would not have come close to losing to Va. Tech last season.

You sure about that? The 2010 had way more close calls than you seem to remember.

I fully believe that this team is more physically gifted than our 2010 team, from top to bottom. The questions I have about this team revolve more around leadership and experience at key positions.

I agree but I do think we have leadership at all levels of the D: Lawson, Frost/Cass, Holsey/Tray. Now outside of JJ on O who would u name that's a leader there? That's a very difficult question.

I agree but I do think we have leadership at all levels of the D: Lawson, Frost/Cass, Holsey/Tray. Now outside of JJ on O who would u name that's a leader there? That's a very difficult question.

Just taking a stab, but I'd guess that guys like Avery Young and Ricardo Louis (players with tons of experience) have stepped up. And it can't hurt to have a senior like J. Wallace to keep guys in line. He's seen a lot since he arrived at Auburn.

@openingdrive

I'm going to say both because the 2010 team would not have come close to losing to Va. Tech last season.

You sure about that? The 2010 had way more close calls than you seem to remember.

Cut it mighty close with Kentucky and Mississippi State, among others.

@openingdrive

Yep, I was going to bring up the Kentucky game but they had Randall Cobb so I cut us a little bit of slack on that one lol

@openingdrive

Yep, I was going to bring up the Kentucky game but they had Randall Cobb so I cut us a little bit of slack on that one lol

Hah, good point.

Archived