Gary Danielson on AU ...

RunInRed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go back and watch all the AU games Danielson has called starting all the way back to the game in the Swamp in 1994 ( a victory which ranks in the top ten victories all time by AU. Don't think I have felt higher about a tiger victory than after that game...) Danielson has a great ability to predict what is going to happen on a preceding play. Verne is a harmless and good-natured doofus but Danielson is the real deal I think. He also tends to like AU which can't help but make you like him. Damn, how much longer?

Yeah I've always liked Danielson's analysis--he actually does his homework.

Danielson is as good as there is. Why CBS keeps Verne is a mystery. Danielson does a decent job of patching verne's blunders but after they happen.

Keith Jackson was and is the best! He seemed to have a liken for Auburn and always spoke highly of us. He is the John Wayne of broadcasting.

Keith Jackson was and is the best! He seemed to have a liken for Auburn and always spoke highly of us. He is the John Wayne of broadcasting.

Sarcasm? I always heard he was a big Bama guy

It's been so long ago but if I remember correctly, Jackson gave Auburn a more than fair shake.

Only for those AU fans who were infected by the Little Brother Syndrome or succumbed to conspiracy theories when it comes to spuat.

wde

As many others have already said, I actually respect Gary as a commentator. Verne just makes watching CBS broadcasts unbearable. It's unfortunate.

Verne was once one of the better broadcasters around. Father time catches up to everyone. It can be hard to tell someone who has done all he has that it's time to hang it up.

Of course talent doesn't always equate to wins but I tend to agree based on pure speculation. Judging based solely on talent and not performance on the field (please don't roast me for placing linebackers) one could make a case for the following players with a legitimate shot at making an NFL team one day:

Jeremy Johnson

Roc Thomas

Jovon Robinson

Duke Williams

Ricardo Louis

Avery Young

Braden Smith

Austin Golson

Alex Kozan

Shon Coleman

Carl Lawson

Byron Cowart

Montravious Adams

Dontavious Russell

Davonte Lambert

Tre Williams

Casanova McKinzy

Kris Frost

Jonathan Jones

Rudy Ford

Tray Matthews

Daniel Carlson

Even possibly:

Peyton Barber

Tony Stevens

Devonte Danzy

Blake Countess

Disclaimer*

I'm not saying every single one of these players will play on Sundays. But we certainly do have loads of talent.

^Oh, you're not even getting started. A legit shot at making the NFL? I just went down the roster and counted around 60 guys. Obviously it won't come close to that, but since we're big fans of potential these days, yeah, I'll go with 60 who I wouldn't count out today. I mean, can anybody tell me for sure that a Richard McBryde or a Kaleb Kim won't play on Sundays? Heck, Mike Horton is a 3* true freshman who was projected by those in the know to move over to DL. Now he's the talk of camp and is our 2nd string left tackle.

I wonder how many times Verne will call Jeremy Johnson either Nick Marshall or Cam Newton.

I wonder how many times Verne will call Jeremy Johnson either Nick Marshall or Cam Newton.

lmao... Im saying at least 4 times..

He'll flat out call JJ, NM or Cam or will make reference to how "that run by JJ was ala Cam Newton or Nick Marshall" at least 5011 times

He'll flat out call JJ, NM or Cam or will make reference to how "that run by JJ was ala Cam Newton or Nick Marshall" at least 5011 times

... and how many references to th' Bear ?

(Which is why he should never do another Auburn game.)

if the opposing qb is number 6. He will tell a personal story and put Jeremy's name with it.

I fully believe that this team is more physically gifted than our 2010 team, from top to bottom. The questions I have about this team revolve more around leadership and experience at key positions.

I agree. 2015 roster is likely more talented on paper than 2010 in terms of 4-5 star talent but the 2010 team was loaded with experience, something the 2015 roster severely lacks.

I Like Danielson. But I also know this is entertainment, so let us remember that also. Nevertheless, Overall I think Auburn's talent with the additions they have this year is the best they have had also since 2010.

I am glad I will be at the game to miss the play by play though.

I think the team has experience at a few key positions. For instance, the O-line is actually pretty talented AND experienced with the exception of Braden Smith who played in only a handful of games last year. I'll take the coaches' word for it that it's a deep position though and view the line as a strength. We have some experienced receivers and the linebacker corps is pretty experienced, even if the linebackers themselves are a bit inconsistent. Secondary starters have plenty of experience but depth behind them is lacking.

Problem areas with experience are quarterback (potentially), tailback, receiver depth, special teams (sort of), and D-line (half and half - of the 8 linemen in the 4 position 2 deep, 5 have playing experience at Auburn, 3 are newcomers to the FBS game). I don't think QB will be a big problem given what we've seen from JJ and the sheer confidence the staff and team seem to have in him and I also doubt experience at RB is going to be a huge problem but DL and ST are both concerns.

I don't think it will be too much of an issue against Louisville. It'll be an issue on Sept 19th in Baton Rouge, or during the stretch from October 15th through November 14th. Who knows how well the team will respond under that kind of pressure?

Our center has never played center before. We're hoping mightily for significant improvement from our LT. We're still not sure who our best LG is. Kozan didn't play last year. Our RG played as much TE as he did OL last year. Our backup RT is a true freshman. In fact, there's almost no D1 experience behind any of our starters.

Our 1s on the OL total about half the starts that last year's did, and that includes Golson's full season at a different position.

"Wait and see" does not equal "forecasting doom". I'm optimistic about our potential, but I have no illusions about our experience- or, more appropriately, lack thereof.

Eight true freshmen on the two-deep. Eight.

Our center has never played center before. We're hoping mightily for significant improvement from our LT. We're still not sure who our best LG is. Kozan didn't play last year. Our RG played as much TE as he did OL last year. Our backup RT is a true freshman. In fact, there's almost no D1 experience behind any of our starters.

Our 1s on the OL total about half the starts that last year's did, and that includes Golson's full season at a different position.

"Wait and see" does not equal "forecasting doom". I'm optimistic about our potential, but I have no illusions about our experience- or, more appropriately, lack thereof.

Eight true freshmen on the two-deep. Eight.

you make good points. but the fact that kozan is still locked i a battle to start tells me guard is in good shape. tackles, at least as good as last year and need some pass protection improvement. center, like you say, new guys but 2 we feel good about. it can sound great or scary. i honestly have no idea how good the opponent is. i didn't watch a game of their's last year. maybe that is why i love it. anything can happen.

I'm glad a lot of the Auburn fans seem to have tempered their expectations this season. Last season everyone was expecting 15-0 and didn't seem to think there was any way it wouldn't happen. I think a lot of the concerns people are posting are legit, but I don't think we lose more than 1 or 2 games and we win the SEC West.

The OL is solid. If Coleman looked so good we never even contemplated moving Avery over, I'm not worried about LT. Kozan was the best Guard in the conference two years Danzey was a plus Guard last year, and Dampeer isn't a high schooler with only practice reps. Yet Braden Smith is the Guard we knew was a starter. That's as good a top 8 as we've had in recent memory.

Archived