Tiger Talk - Auburn vs. LSU

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn ...

Malzahn said Auburn "didn't play our best" against JSU. "Anytime you let a team like that stick around at halftime, they gain confidence."

On Barber: "The thing that stood out to me were the last drive in the fourth quarter and overtime... He willed us to win." Says Barber's toughness and attitude will help Auburn.

Malzahn expects Jeremy Johnson to play better against LSU.

Sunday practice lasted one hour. Cleaned up some things and got a head start on LSU. "Their attitude has been excellent the whole time."

"Overall concerns on offense: First two games obviously aren't up to our standards. Have to do a better job... When you turn the football over, that costs points, usually the other way. Our rushing yards -- that's the area that's really got to improve."

On playing in Death Valley: "One of the toughest places to play in college football. Our young guys will have to handle that well and we're doing everything we can in practice to prepare them." Auburn will practice with sound system on. Hasn't in Baton Rouge won since 1999.

Traveling to hostile environment can "bring a team closer together."* Offensive key: Protect the football. Defensive key: Stop the run

http://www.al.com/au...s_malza_11.html

Gus: "It was a dogfight in the second half. We had to finish strong"

Gus: "The positive of the game, even though we didn't play well ... was nobody panicked on the sideline"

Gus on Carlton Davis, who was picked on by JSU: "He's going to be an excellent player for us"

Gus says the touchdown to Melvin Ray was the same play as Nick Marshall's winner to CJ Uzomah against Miss St in 2013

Gus on Melvin Ray: "Been a steady guy for us. ... just quietly does his job." Notes he played most snaps of all WR

Gus says same thing about Ray that he said about Muschamp two weeks ago on Tiger Talk: "He doesn't have a bad day"

Offensive concerns? "The first two games obviously aren't up to our offensive standard" -- Malzahn

Malzahn on changes to OL: Avery Young just couldn't play last week. ... Would like to get continuity along the line

Gus on Kerryon Johnson: "He's got a lot of talent and the moment's not too big. ... He understands what we ask him to do"

Malzahn says they held Jovon Robinson because of his ankle injury this week. Hope to have him back vs LSU

Malzahn reiterates that Jeremy Johnson can run .. and will, eventually, before the season is over.

Malzahn said LSU did "an outstanding job in all three phases" against Mississippi State

Malzahn says Leonard Fournette "is big" (real big?) ... "He's a big fast guy" and you don't see a lot of people like him.

Malzahn: Carl Lawson, Tray Matthews, etc, are day-to-day

Malzahn on Joshua Holsey's status: "I think we'll know more tomorrow"

Gus: A hostile environment brings you together, because you is all you got

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn says RT Avery Young “will return pretty quick.”

Malzahn says infirmed Tigers are “working hard to get back.” This includes Carl Lawson

@JayGTate

Gus Malzahn on LSU: "It's been a while since we've won there." Sixteen years, to be exact.

CGM on Jason Smith at Wildcat: "You know, uh, we definitely played around with that in the spring." Doesn't sound to me they're doing it now

@bmarcello

Gus on Carlton Davis, who was picked on by JSU: "He's going to be an excellent player for us" ----Gus loves this statement

Malzahn reiterates that Jeremy Johnson can run .. and will, eventually, before the season is over. ---WHEN? I only recall 2 or maybe 3 designed QB keeps and/or reads for JJ. I'm not in the crowd that's all over Gus at this point but i just don't believe in "holding back." At some point you need to "practice" it against competition other than your own defense. Why wait until a big game to pull out something like that where timing is going to be crucial and JJ and the RB would need to develop a rhythm and awareness of when JJ will keep or hand it off.

It may work but saying JJ going to run it and we don't and not even appear to trying to do so...that's not giving the defense anything to think about if that's what he's trying to do b/c we have yet to do it. So i'm wondering if he's just saying that to give defenses something to think about or are we actually going to do some zone read with JJ? We'll find out Saturday that's for sure. Would've been nice to do it some against live competition though.

Ok, I am awarding the "King of Coach Speak" trophy to Gus Malzahn!!!

The trophy has been on Gene Chizik's mantel for the last 3 years... but Gus has dethroned the champ.

I know he HAS to do these interviews, but we don't get ANY information out of him... and he literally repeats the same thing every week!

Tubbs and Dye ... now those are some great interviews!

Ok, I am awarding the "King of Coach Speak" trophy to Gus Malzahn!!!

The trophy has been on Gene Chizik's mantel for the last 3 years... but Gus has dethroned the champ.

I know he HAS to do these interviews, but we don't get ANY information out of him... and he literally repeats the same thing every week!

Tubbs and Dye ... now those are some great interviews!

I always thought Tubbs gave out to much info.

We didn't see Cam's incredible short yardage running ability as a consistent weapon until about this time in the season in 2010 either. Cam was a warrior and a big, strong guy but was sore & beaten up by season's end.

I wish that he would address why we shuffled the OL, if we are trying to get some "continuity". I know that you want to get the best talent on the field, but it almost cost us a loss vs. an inferior opponent. Why not plug in the next RT and leave the rest alone?

I wish that he would address why we shuffled the OL, if we are trying to get some "continuity". I know that you want to get the best talent on the field, but it almost cost us a loss vs. an inferior opponent. Why not plug in the next RT and leave the rest alone?

The next RT is a true freshman who many on here pegged to play DT. He had his most experienced group out there.

Yeah, I think it was mainly because they didn't think Horton was entirely ready, and they thought Kozan/Danzey inside would maintain our strength in the power run game. It didn't work for the better part of three quarters, but I think it was the right move.

coachspeak was never a problem on our way to an SEC championship and a national title game birth, why is it a problem now?

coachspeak was never a problem on our way to an SEC championship and a national title game birth, why is it a problem now?

Maybe, because it's messing w/so many people's money? Guessing.... (I don't bet)..... it's harder to decide the line when you don't know who'll play.

Maybe, because it's messing w/so many people's money? Guessing.... (I don't bet)..... it's harder to decide the line when you don't know who'll play.

That's valid. I don't know how many people are into betting on here, but I got the vibe that people just feel like they have the right to know whats going on inside the program. And that people are saltier about not knowing things when the team is playing bad and complain about coachspeak even though the answers Gus gives are the same as when AU is playing well

That's valid. I don't know how many people are into betting on here, but I got the vibe that people just feel like they have the right to know whats going on inside the program. And that people are saltier about not knowing things when the team is playing bad and complain about coachspeak even though the answers Gus gives are the same as when AU is playing well

Yep, it's likely a wide variety of reasons, Including just the nature of college football in the area. Talking fall football is a fall ritual like much like going to the beach in summer. Some don't and will go to the mountains, but we still talk about them with equal gusto, they're just pull for the other program. Even if the program is not doing well people are still going talk. It's what we do, I was just having fun at a few peoples expense.

funny how wins and losses affects people

Yep, it's likely a wide variety of reasons, Including just the nature of college football in the area. Talking fall football is a fall ritual like much like going to the beach in summer. Some don't and will go to the mountains, but we still talk about them with equal gusto, they're just pull for the other program. Even if the program is not doing well people are still going talk. It's what we do, I was just having fun at a few peoples expense.

Makes sense.

Archived