Auburn's Weekly Presser - LSU Game

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn

Gus Malzahn on LSU: "Offensively, they run the football"

Joshua Holsey has a torn ACL and is out for the year.

Malzahn on Holsey: "It's tough on him. He's one of our team leaders, too. His teammates are hurting for him."

Malzahn on Holsey: "He's struggling right now." ... Says it's the same ACL Holsey injured in 2013

Malzahn on Jeremy's struggles: "He's going through some growing pains. ... We have a good plan for him."

Gus on read-option with Jeremy: "It's about execution. We will improve, there's no doubt about that ... You got to know when and what to do"

Gus Malzahn says "hopefully" Jovon Robinson will be good to go against LSU. Says Peyton Barber will be first guy on the field for Auburn

Malzahn says "we will use" the Wildcat before the year is through

Gus on Jason Smith: "He's one of those guys we do need to figure out a way to get more involved" with the offense.

Malzahn: Everyone is day to day. Not ready to say if Carl Lawson will travel to LSU or not

Malzahn on defense: This big focus for us is third downs. ... Will is still learning his personnel and they're still learning the defense.

Gus on Countess targeting call: It was a tough one, there's no doubt. It was a tough one.

@AUBlog

Auburn's Peyton Barber will start at running back at LSU.

@bmarcello

Gus Malzahn: "Peyton has really stepped up he'll be the first guy out there."

Malzahn does not believe Josh Holsey was among players with loss of value insurance. Brutal.

@JamesCrepea

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on preparation: "You turn on the film against LSU and that gets your attention in a hurry."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on his young team: "The good thing is we're 2-0 going through growing pains."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on his offense: "We've had very few explosive plays… We will improve, there's no doubt about that."

@AUGoldMine

Gus Malzahn: Jonathan Wallace and Carl Lawson will be team captains this year, combination of team/coaches decision ... they were captains for first two games, but no announcement was made previously

@wareagleextra

Rudy Ford

"It's going to be a big, physical game. We need to prepare for that."

@matthewcstevens

Ford: "The challenge is just to stop No. 7," referring to Leonard Fournette

Ford: "Don't count us out for anything"

Rudy said he spoke with Holsey this morning. Told him he's praying for him and wishing for a speedy recovery

Ford on Fournette: "It shouldn't be that difficult of a challenge." Oooook, then.

Does Leonard Fournette remind Rudy Ford of anyone? "He reminds me of Fournette. We played him last year."

@AUBlog

DB Rudy Ford: LSU is very hostile environment to play in

DB Rudy Ford: SEC play "this is what everyone was recruited for"

Rudy Ford on LSU "have to get off bus, and be ready to attack" stopping Fournette

@wareagleextra

Melvin Ray

Melvin Ray: We know Jeremy Johnson will be fine

Melvin Ray: No chemistry problem with this team. "We're a very close group"

Melvin Ray on Duke's production: "It's going to come for him. I mean, he's Duke."

Melvin Ray on Auburn not winning at LSU since 1999: Winning there "would mean a lot," especially as a senior.

@AUBlog

Auburn's Melvin Ray says QB Jeremy Johnson is "a great athlete. We know he'll be fine. He already has very positive mindset" heading to LSU

@AUGoldMine

WR Melvin Ray: have to "tune out" the criticism, "at end of day we are 2-0, no matter how we won"

WR Melvin Ray: "I don't want to come off the field if I don't have to, this is my last go-around"

@wareagleextra

It's in the weekly presser thread.

Wish he hadn't said that.

I feel like we're normally pretty good about not giving opponents bulletin board material. Fail.

I feel like we're normally pretty good about not giving opponents bulletin board material. Fail.

That's the most overblown trope in college football.

If they need any more "bulletin board material' than 41-7, they need their heads checked.

I like that Rudy fellow! Doesn't back down from anybody!

Yep, Rudy has that attitude that secondary players have to have. Melvin is solid too, he exudes confidence in a good way.

That's the most overblown trope in college football.

If they need any more "bulletin board material' than 41-7, they need their heads checked.

I'll add to that AUvsLSU... Pretty solid motivation there.

What he said didn't really sound like it reads.

how can anyone on the defense talk crap after what happened saturday?

Rudy and Cass can talk crap all they want. They brought it on Saturday. Just because they were surrounded by true or redshirt freshman doesn't diminish what they individually did for the team.

The one thing that really bothered me was, when given the opportunity, Gus didn't defend Countess. Yea, it would have been walking the line of calling out the refs, but it means a lot to a player when the coach publicly stands up for them on a questionable call, especially one that involves ejection. "It was a tough one." doesn't really cut it. I would have preferred "He made a good play" be in there somewhere, since he really did.

WHY would any Coach want to "walk the line" of questioning a ref's call in public? I am thankful our Coach is not that stupid....

WHY would any Coach want to "walk the line" of questioning a ref's call in public? I am thankful our Coach is not that stupid....

Why not? Coaches do it all the time. Heck, some coaches flat out say it was a bad call, but I expect more decorum from our coaches. Still, not 2 weeks ago, Lashlee backhandedly said the refs had a bad holding call when he said 4 of 5 were legit. That's a lot more direct than saying Countess made a good play. I would certainly hope that if Countess's play was in the second half that Gus would be appealing the suspension for Saturday.

Have to agree with war Tim on this one. I'm pretty sure refs stick together...don't want to bash them publicly....there is literally no upside to it

Archived