Inside the Numbers Podcast - LSU Postgame

StatTiger

Stat, thanks for these podcasts. I'm really getting into them. Couldn't agree more about those 9:15 game starts -- completely ridiculous!

I do wonder whether you saw the little clip of Jonathan Ford pulling up and avoiding Leonard Fournette before you discussed Auburn quitting or not. I do see how having solid QB play is key to staying in a game. The best example of that this season to me is actually what Oklahoma did against Tennessee. Their QB is the main reason why they won. But surely having players -- especially players who said they'd be ready to tackle LF before the game -- not giving full effort all over the field guarantees not being able to come back in a game?

I've seen lots of comments about Kris Frost trailing plays instead of attacking them, as if he were getting himself in a position not to make the tackle. Who knows whether he's just bad, and so always out of position, or whether he's really just a better actor than Ford? Ford was there, and he just pulled up. There is no use, it seems to me, of coaches spending a lot of time on getting players in positions to make plays if the players either intentionally get in wrong positions or avoid making plays. I'm not willing to say 'the team' quit. That strikes me as throwing a bunch of players who are giving effort under the (Gus) bus. But clearly there are some real issues with some of our 'leaders'.

So, what if we embrace our youth instead of trying to compensate for it? I am curious your thoughts on whether we should go into full UTk, 'brick-by-brick' mode and throw a bunch of extremely inexperienced kids out there now. I realize we are already doing something like that, especially on D. But how do you feel about doing it even more and on both sides of the ball? Kerryon has looked promising. Maybe we can find more ways to get the ball to Chandler Cox? It's not true that we have no tight end, either. We could throw Harris out there. Suppose we did work mostly around the running game, as you suggest. Who should be the QB in that case? If we're not going to ask the QB to do a lot of throwing, then wouldn't it be a good time to put in Sean White and get him some experience, without putting too much pressure on him? Why or why not?

Also, you mentioned the FPI at the beginning of the podcast. The FPI has predicted a pretty bad season for us all along. I'm just curious what you think about the FPI overall, especially in terms of its capacity to predict game outcomes.

AUbritt, Greater New York Metro Area

Archived