Malzahn's Weekly Presser - Mississippi State

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn

Gus on Dak: "Their QB is one of the better players in college football. ... He's like another running back."

Gus: Sean White is starting at quarterback against Miss St.

Malzahn and Lashlee made the decision on Sean White this morning.

Gus on Jeremy: "He's competitor. But he's a team guy, too. He'll support Sean, and he'll get reps still in practice."

Gus: "From a coach's standpoint, you got to each week do what you feel like is going to help your team best"

Gus: No regrets on not getting Sean White reps against LSU. "Felt like it was the right thing to do to get (Jeremy) back out there"

Gus: "I feel good about Sean. ... His teammates will have a whole lot of confidence in him"

Will QB be a week-to-week thing? Gus says they're taking it one game at a time.

Gus on QB decision: It's more of what's best for the offense right now. ... Sean has earned that right and that's where we're at.

Gus: "Sean White is a good quarterback. We expect Sean White to play well. ... We're looking forward to watching him play."

Gus: Carl Lawson is going to be out for an extended period of time. "Hopeful we'll get him back before the season is out."

Gus: Carl "is disappointed. He's a great competitor. He's our defensive leader. ... It's extremely hard on him. He's discouraged."

Byron Cowart "definitely could" get more involved with defense now that Carl Lawson is out for extended period of time, Gus says

Gus: Jason Smith and J-Wall could get reps at QB this week ... but they're both WRs

Gus on Jason Smith: Don't want to say too much if it's Wildcat or normal offense. ... It could be Wildcat"

Gus: Peyton Barber will probably be the first guy out there at RB, but expect to see all four guys

What is Auburn's offense good at? Gus: "I think we can run the football. ... I still think we're gonna be really efficient in passing game"

Gus: "We got to get back to getting positive yards on first down."

Gus on defensive assessment: "We got to get better. ... Will can put a plan together to do a better job in this area."

Gus: "We need exactly what happened in 2013. ... It feels exactly like it did in 2013 after the LSU game." Need leaders to emerge

@AUBlog

Shon Coleman

Coleman on change at QB: I'm all for doing what's best for the team.

Coleman said he's not surprised by coaches' decision to change QB because it's for betterment of the team.

Coleman said one of the five sacks Auburn allowed against LSU were on the O-line. That means the other four were...

How much did Jeremy's struggles surprise you? Coleman: "He's obviously in a tough spot. ... He's a great guy, a great player."

@AUBlog

Blake Countess

Countess on QB change: "That's a decision the coaches made. ... We're behind Sean and we expect him to play well."

Countess: "Any time a change like that is made, I think the person who was in the second spot has earned it. ... We're behind him."

Countess on defense: "You have to be very critical. We didn't play well at all. ... It was very disappointing giving up so many yards."

Countess on getting trucked by Fournette: "It is what it is. It's part of the game. I'm a football player, it happens."

Countess: "I do think we have to get better, absolutely. ... We've kinda been exposed in some areas."

Countess on Carl Lawson: "Obviously it's a big loss. Carl's a good player. That just means somebody else has to step up and fill that role"

Countess on whether Auburn backed away from challenge in second half: "Absolutely not."

Countess on Fournette play: "I did what I could on the play. ... In the heat of the moment that's what happened, that's how it went down."

@AUBlog

Just wanted to be the first to say that we need to bench SW for TQ.

He just doesn't have "it".

Btw, KN's scouting report from awhile back on SW. Comparisons to Aaron Murray and Danny Wuerffel don't suck.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Scouting-Report-Sean-White-158581

Oh, and here are NFL guys comparing Aaron Murray to Drew Brees.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000341430/Is-Aaron-Murray-the-next-Drew-Brees

So I guess it was absolutely asinine for any of us to suggest that Sean White might have some Drew Brees-like qualities.

I have to say I did not see this coming.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/gus-malzahn-announces-new-starting-quarterback/

My best to Sean and to Jeremy. Hopefully a little off time will settle him down and make him into the player we all thought he would be.

Can anyone confirm if JJ missed Sunday practice? Do yall think this is:

A- Gus ploy at throwing Diaz off?

B- Motivation for JJ?

C- SW really is showing something they coaches think is the spark missing?

Thanks,

Definitely option "A". Its the ol' rope-a-dope... Make Diaz think we're going to play the undersized RS freshman with zero game experience and then BAM we trot out the guy who is, statistically, the worst SEC QB of the past 6 seasons. They'll never know what hit them.

Definitely option "A". Its the ol' rope-a-dope... Make Diaz think we're going to play the undersized RS freshman with zero game experience and then BAM we trot out the guy who is, statistically, the worst SEC QB of the past 6 seasons. They'll never know what hit them.

lolol

The ol' "If you can't compete, confuse?"

1: I think we will see SW come out on the first play and run it into the gut of the MSU defense and have a 15 yard run. I think SW wants to make a statement to let MSU & Diaz know that he means business and will not be afraid to run it down the throat of the MSU defense.

2: I would come back on the 2nd and maybe the 3rd play and continue with SW running it himself down their throat. After the runs, he will throw a laser on a crossing route for Duke to take it to the house. We need to make a statement to MSU that we mean business and will make life miserable for the MSU defense.

3: The defense will feed off of the offense's successful and start clicking in CWMs system. This will be the game that Auburn comes alive and makes the rest of the SEC take notice that Auburn is not going away and will be the team that nobody wants to play.

I just feel this in my bones and believe that we will turn the corner and make this a season to remember in a positive way.

1: I think we will see SW come out on the first play and run it into the gut of the MSU defense and have a 15 yard run. I think SW wants to make a statement to let MSU & Diaz know that he means business and will not be afraid to run it down the throat of the MSU defense.

2: I would come back on the 2nd and maybe the 3rd play and continue with SW running it himself down their throat. After the runs, he will throw a laser on a crossing route for Duke to take it to the house. We need to make a statement to MSU that we mean business and will make life miserable for the MSU defense.

3: The defense will feed off of the offense's successful and start clicking in CWMs system. This will be the game that Auburn comes alive and makes the rest of the SEC take notice that Auburn is not going away and will be the team that nobody wants to play.

I just feel this in my bones and believe that we will turn the corner and make this a season to remember in a positive way.

I really doubt number 1...

2: I would come back on the 2nd and maybe the 3rd play and continue with SW running it himself down their throat. He will throw a laser on a crossing route for Duke to take it to the house. We need to make a statement to MSU that we mean business and will make life miserable for the MSU defense.

1: I feel confident that Gus' first play for his QB's first collegiate start will not be a QB keeper - BUT I'll agree in yardage gained.

2: See #1. Also, not Duke, Melvin Ray is my thought.

3: Agree completely here.

I'm trying to be optimistic. Cautious, as I predicted close to this last week. I had JJ for 225 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT.

Why Doubt it? I seem to remember an Iron-Bowl where everyone doubted a certain little Running Back (third or fourth string) that stood no chance in heck to run the ball down bama's throat... All it takes is for S.W. to believe and the others will join him...

Why Doubt it? I seem to remember an Iron-Bowl where everyone doubted a certain little Running Back (third or fourth string) that stood no chance in heck to run the ball down bama's throat... All it takes is for S.W. to believe and the others will join him...

I doubt it because of their linebacker speed...And that story had nothing to do with this scenario btw

#1) Nope. Gus doesn't care what SW wants. SW needs to care what Gus wants.

#2) Nope. Those will be handoffs.

#3) Yes. And Nope. I think the defense will get better every game, but nobody besides MSU is gonna notice.

I think Gus will be extra conservative. It's what he does when things aren't going according to plan. "Let's not make any mistakes" will be the day's theme. If things go really well, maybe SW will make it thru to his third progression a few times and hit for some yardage downfield, but count on simple and predictable.

I wonder how much of the team's recent marked lack of enthusiasm has been due to a lack of QB confidence. I hope to see renewed win-lust come Saturday.

Let Sean make the easy throws and build confidence. Peyton, Kerryon, Roc, and Jovon....those are the game winners this year. You keep running those boys in rotation and our line is just going to improve. By the time Uga roles around, we might be in 2013 rushing status.

Archived