Baseball welcomes #10 Class

WarTiger

Looking forward to watching this group play

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/092315aaa.html

Collegiate Baseball ranks Newcomers 10th in the Country

Sept. 23, 2015

11345328.jpeg?1443046646

Full Rankings

AUBURN, Ala. – Auburn baseball’s 2015 recruiting class was ranked 10th nationally by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper as announced on Tuesday.

The top 10 ranking is the fourth of Auburn head coach Sunny Golloway’s career and his first at Auburn. Golloway previously signed three classes that received top 10 rankings at Oklahoma. Auburn’s ranking of 10th is its highest by Collegiate Baseball since it ranked fifth in 1996.

“We are excited about this incoming class and their potential to develop here at Auburn,” Golloway said. “To have a top 10 class takes the support of your administration and we thank Jay Jacobs for that support and I commend the work of Tom Holliday and Greg Norton to put this class together.”

Auburn’s class includes a pair of junior college hitters that are expected to be immediate contributors in infielder Niko Buentello (Lewisville, Texas/Grayson College) and outfielder Josh Palacios (Brooklyn, N.Y./San Jacinto College).

In-state signees include infielder Alan Smith from Fort Payne and catcher Jack McPherson from Mountain Brook along with RHP Casey Mize (Springville/HS) and LHP Jesse Scott (Cullman/HS). Auburn also added the top pitcher from the state of Arkansas in right-hander Daniel Sprinkle (White Hall, Ark.) and talented West Coast infielder Keaton Weisz (La Jolla, Calif./La Jolla Country Day).

The Tigers also added high school outfielder Jeremy Johnson (Suwanee, Ga./Lambert HS), infielder Daino Deas (Lilburn, Ga./Parkview HS) and catcher Jonathan Foster (LaGrange, Ga./Troup Co. HS) from the state of Georgia.

The Tigers signed experienced arms in LHP Ben Braymer (Baton Rouge, La./LSU-Eunice), LHP Tavo Rodriguez (El Paso, Texas/Navarro College), RHP Gabe Klobosits (Katy, Texas/Galveston College), LHP Andrew Mitchell (New Orleans, La./Delgado College) and RHP Gordon Cardenas (Manhattan Beach, Calif./Fullerton College).

Additionally, Auburn will add fifth-year transfer RHP Marc Frazier (Newnan, Ga./Nicholls State) to its roster for the 2016 season.

Sprinkle (15th round - 2015), Klobosits (25th round – 2014), Palacios (31st round – 2014), Rodriguez (33rd round – 2013) and Frazier (47th round – 2012) have all previously been drafted in their careers.

Baseball recruiting rankings

http://baseballnews.com/florida-captures-2015-recruiting-title/

Should be interesting.....all position starters are scheduled to return plus a top 10 recruiting class.

Gotta wonder if some of last year's players might be on the bench or elsewhere when it's "play ball" time.

So does anything happen to this class now that the coach has been fired? I'm not going to pretend to know anything about baseball recruiting and signings

These guys are already in school as student I guess. But you raise a good question as baseball has different rules and I would not be surprised if some them could go to Juco which in baseball has some advantages for future draft availability. Guess, as always, the details will gradually leak out over the next several days. Rarely do we learn all the facts up front....

I'm sure this maybe a dumb question but, how many players can sign a scholarship in a single year and are there two signing dates or just one? Thanks.

I'm sure this maybe a dumb question but, how many players can sign a scholarship in a single year and are there two signing dates or just one? Thanks.

A team has 11.7 scholarships to divide up. These can be divided among up to 27 players. Very few, if any, players get a 100% scholarship. http://www.scholarsh...ncaalimits.html

There are no annual limits, except that the total numbers cannot exceed the above limits. I believe baseball has one signing date.

Any official word on why they fired Galloway?

Only what was released by the AD's office and commentary about the improper pitching workouts....and with a possible lawsuit on the horizon, that's all we are likely to hear. Not sure what else anyone is expecting in an "official" way.

Sunny is past history....we need to get on with the business of speculating about his replacement and who is going to handle the team during the fall practice season.

Now we need a big name hire who knows how to coach these players up and get the best out of them.

Are you sure, mind-blowing, I hope the University gets this message....I was puling for the tire salesman, coaching A-ball, as the savior.....you are so smart. You must have become so intelligent from your years at Auburn, when was it?

clearly, couldn't have made it more obvious...your continued hatred of JJ and Auburn Athletics has hit beyond a sour point, most importantly because programs are all developing and growing at a national level. of course your brain only sees a need to get Tracy Rocker for d-line and Frank Thomas as baseball coach. AU Athletics has been on a upswing, if u decided not to notice: great and wonderful Auburn Athletes are making us proud: Golf, Soccer, Gymnastics, Swimming and Diving, Equestrian and on and on. The Real Auburn Family is always strong

Just to let everyone here (who cares about AU Baseball) know.....we have a huge gap in our roster right now. The current team is loaded with juniors and seniors. We have this freshman class, but the sophomore class only has 3 players currently on roster. When you consider things like the draft and other factors having a roster with such a huge hole in it could potentially set this program even farther back than it already is.

The next coach will have a lot of work to do......

Just to let everyone here (who cares about AU Baseball) know.....we have a huge gap in our roster right now. The current team is loaded with juniors and seniors. We have this freshman class, but the sophomore class only has 3 players currently on roster. When you consider things like the draft and other factors having a roster with such a huge hole in it could potentially set this program even farther back than it already is.

The next coach will have a lot of work to do......

Good observation but I wonder if college baseball and MLB rules make it hard to sign good freshmen players.

JUCO baseball is pretty good quality since there are so few scholarships to be had from the major universities, and most players only get about 25% at best....perhaps their best option is to either sign with the pros....or go to JUCO for far less money and still play pretty good baseball. A nd of course if you get a real hot shot guy out of HS, you have no assurance of keeping him more than a couple years.

Seems that the best deal for most undrafted or low draft position HS players is to go for one of the top JUCOs and get some experience....and for schools like AU to sign those every couple years.... and get guys who are ready to play at SEC level.

Does that seem reasonable?....how does that fit into what other schools do?

all gone did you not hear

well, not exactly....unless someone forgot to tell the players.....

And sounds like the new guys might have a little pop in their bats.... http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/101415aaa.html

maybe

Hard to say...Sunny did a pretty good job this year with the batch that just got here....and only really had one season.....so it appears that Thompson has some talent to work with...don't think he can dump any of Sunny's guys in mid-semester though I guess it's possible that some changes could be made in December or whenever the first semester ends.

With all the partial scholarships, walk-ons and Jucos....it will be interesting to see what the roster looks like ....say around Feb 1st.

PS: edited after reading Phillip Marshall's parting shot at Sunny on AUC, Thursday evening

Despite PM's slam that the new coach is inheriting a vast wasteland or something because all the frosh from last year are gone, it could be noted that 16 players who saw serious playing time (essentially the starting line-up) for AU's first NCAA regional team in a while are back as are 17 freshmen currently listed on the roster.

I guess it is possible that the roster currently listed at www.auburntigers.com could be out of date....but likely not. Thus I guess PM could not resist one last cheap shot at CSG....which just reaffirms his (PM's) true character. JMO

And hey...he's not even a beat writer...works for us doesn't he?

Reading that writeup on the final fall game, there sure were a lot of new names doing some good things. I don't think Sunny left a wasteland. There is enough talent there to field a very competitive team.

Reading that writeup on the final fall game, there sure were a lot of new names doing some good things. I don't think Sunny left a wasteland. There is enough talent there to field a very competitive team.

Yep......maybe PM just lowering expectations for the new coach.. After making a Regional last year, with a team that's returning most of the pitching staff and returning about a dozen position players who started at some point last season......plus a very good incoming class.....I'm looking for a good year.

JMO but Thompson inherits a very good situation....a bunch of good players who just need some good leadership......he should be able to hit the ground running and AU should be back in the Regionals in 2016.

• 3 months later...

Now we need a big name hire who knows how to coach these players up and get the best out of them.

Are you sure, mind-blowing, I hope the University gets this message....I was puling for the tire salesman, coaching A-ball, as the savior.....you are so smart. You must have become so intelligent from your years at Auburn, when was it?

Ease up on A4E. He only wants to know what is going on.

Archived