Malzahn's Postgame Presser - Mississippi State

RunInRed

Gus is here. "The story of the game was we were in the red zone four times and got six points"
Gus: "Our defense did good enough to win"
Gus was pleased with Sean White's first game action
Gus: "That was one of the positives: we got back to running the football"
Gus: We did a lot of things better ... This team's gonna get better. They're gonna fight."
Gus on White: Overall I thought he did a solid job for his first college game period
Gus isn't quite committing to Sean White when asked about it. Said they're keeping it week to week, but likes what White did today
Gus: We should be disappointed. We're going to get better.

@AUBlog

Malzahn on being 0-2 in the SEC: "We should be disappointed. But we should get better. ... Our kids competed."

@RyanABlack

Not watching...but...

*We didn't play well on offense*

*Happy Sean White did things*

*Could've been better in the red zone*

*RBs did things*

*Defense played well*

*Will access things*

*Expecting a good week of practice*

yep, pretty much.

Don't forget "We are going to get better"

Saw some good things and bad things

Injured players, he won't know more till tomorrow (then they will be day to day)

Seen one...then you've seen them all

"oh definitely"

"Have to figure out a way to get the ball to our playmakers."-in response to why Duke and Ricardo were virtually unused

I understand the need for coach speak, but im really tired of it from Gus. I just prefer someone who's willing to speak honestly and be realistic and CGM is all the time just telling us all what we want to hear. im haunted by the 2012 season and how every conference GC would state at least 3 times that "we had a great week of practice this week"....and now it seems to be the same thing from CGM. Makes me really nervous that he really doesn't know what to do with this offense....

Seen one...then you've seen them all

"oh definitely"

"Have to figure out a way to get the ball to our playmakers."-in response to why Duke and Ricardo were virtually unused

lol. Make a great politician though.

Pretty much Gue said, we will get better....blah blah blah blah.....this team has fight...blah blah blah blah...we lost because we suck in the red zone again...blah blah blah

I know Gus has never been a huge guy to tweet but has anyone noticed it went stone cold silent between the Louisville and Jack State game?

Not a surprise b/c he doesn't tweet much. Most of his tweeting is during the time when he shows his eagerness to start the season and/or camp and a big Boom when we land a big recruit. That's when i've seen him have the most activity. I'm sure he has a ton to do than deal with twitter though.

Did anyone notice Gus's diction when discussing Sean White? He said something like, 'We have a new QB we started tonight'. Does anyone think he's still holding out the possibility of JJ coming back in as the starter/regular QB?

I know it must hurt him that we didn't score a TD tonight. But Sean looked clearly better than JJ has looked to me.

Did anyone notice Gus's diction when discussing Sean White? He said something like, 'We have a new QB we started tonight'. Does anyone think he's still holding out the possibility of JJ coming back in as the starter/regular QB?

I know it must hurt him that we didn't score a TD tonight. But Sean looked clearly better than JJ has looked to me.

If JJ starts the next game, we deserve to lose out and have the entire staff fired. I would feel bad for the new Defensive guys, Grimes and DC in that situation, but such is SEC football.

If JJ starts the next game, we deserve to lose out and have the entire staff fired. I would feel bad for the new Defensive guys, Grimes and DC in that situation, but such is SEC football.

I think Sean should be the starter.

But just thinking about it, what better way to get JJ's confidence up than having him start against SJSU? I mean, I thought Barber should be the starting RB way before he was named such. Maybe the same thing is happening at QB. Let's just say it wouldn't shock me entirely if Gus puts JJ back in next game -- even as the starter.

And again, I think that would be the wrong move.

Personally I think there is a lot to feel better about from last week to this week. We moved the ball well, the running game was solid and we didn't give the other team a lot of free possessions. The main thing on offense was that we couldn't score TDs in the redzone. That has to be fixed of course but I really liked our running game. Sean did a nice job for his first start too.

The defense improved a lot from last week. Better attitude, harder hitting, gang tackling, never gave up and I never saw anybody dogging it out there. They held MSU to 17 points and just 3 points the entire 2nd half. That's a big improvement and good enough to win. We still need to get more pass rush but overall you can see that defense coming around. Boom did a good job this week of bringing a new attitude out there.

But just thinking about it, what better way to get JJ's confidence up than having him start against SJSU? I mean, I thought Barber should be the starting RB way before he was named such. Maybe the same thing is happening at QB. Let's just say it wouldn't shock me entirely if Gus puts JJ back in next game -- even as the starter.

No - :dunno: let's hope not.

The JJ band-aid is (and was) the last thing Gus needs to be concern about. And his let's pander to Jeremy the final coffin nail last night. Instead of going with what was working he got cute and it ultimately caused the bad snap. Yep, it worked... if Dan Mullen hadn't been just as quick with a timeout. However quick thinking prevailed. If his intent was to bolster up the Big Johnson and to get him to rise to the occasion, well he flopped and miserably failed. It's an affront to the team at this point to be overly concerned with what should of been, instead of making good use of what you got, and to those who are still busting butt to get the job done. With two downs on the 1-yard line it was a time to show faith in the offense and instead he cut their legs out from under them.

There's a time when a man has to do what a man has to do and when his letting go of a mistaken notion becomes right thing to do. The hope that JJ is going to suddenly blossom and bloom appears to be a major work in progress and something best left to the off season. it's JMO but It seems to have already cost too many other players to pander to the needs of just one. And he's not the only lost lamb in this flock of orange and blue.

Gus says: "Our defense did good enough to win"

Did good enough to win? Yes Gus, they only gave up 17 points!! How many did you score with three 5 star running backs; a four star QB, three 5 star O linemen and 2 four star O lineman; a 5 star WO plus, another two - four star WO's?

With the above talent playing at home, how many points did you score?

No - :dunno: let's hope not.

The JJ band-aid is (and was) the last thing Gus needs to be concern about. And his let's pander to Jeremy the final coffin nail last night. Instead of going with what was working he got cute and it ultimately caused the bad snap. Yep, it worked... if Dan Mullen hadn't been just as quick with a timeout. However quick thinking prevailed. If his intent was to bolster up the Big Johnson and to get him to rise to the occasion, well he flopped and miserably failed. It's an affront to the team at this point to be overly concerned with what should of been, instead of making good use of what you got, and to those who are still busting butt to get the job done. With two downs on the 1-yard line it was a time to show faith in the offense and instead he cut their legs out from under them.

There's a time when a man has to do what a man has to do and when his letting go of a mistaken notion becomes right thing to do. The hope that JJ is going to suddenly blossom and bloom appears to be a major work in progress and something best left to the off season. it's JMO but It seems to have already cost too many other players to pander to the needs of just one. And he's not the only lost lamb in this flock of orange and blue.

Gus is a nice guy and he is clearly coddling JJ. Based on his post game presser, he still is coddling JJ.

I understand the need for coach speak, but im really tired of it from Gus. I just prefer someone who's willing to speak honestly and be realistic and CGM is all the time just telling us all what we want to hear. im haunted by the 2012 season and how every conference GC would state at least 3 times that "we had a great week of practice this week"....and now it seems to be the same thing from CGM. Makes me really nervous that he really doesn't know what to do with this offense....

Gus should post his playbook online so he can get feedback fron fans. Also we should try to get feedback from the Kentucky coaches for our game in 2 weeks by sending them our gameplan. Let's be transparent.

Sean White was clearly better and the team worked hard for him. If Gus tries to sneak JJ back in again, he'll be taking a huge step backward.

Archived