I'm confused, but sw and jj are the same

cole256

SW and JJ played the exact type game made the same mistakes. The only difference is that SW is more apt to run but usually that's viewed as a negative for a qb.

I say go with white since he's younger thus more upside and we may as well get the youth movement going at this position as well...But the way many was complaining about EVERY detail of one qb and to not say anything about the same stuff from another qb is funny to me.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of agree. We aren't doing a good job throwing downfield with either qb. the only difference I see between them thus far is that Johnson seemed to take deep shots when they weren't there. White just seemed afraid to take deep shots altogether.

Personally, I thought Johnson looked better in the second half against LSU when we committed to running the ball between the tackles and allowed him to be involved in the run game. White had the benefit of us doing that from the start.

To me, it seems like either a play calling or a coaching issue. The lack of well designed deep throws is troubling to me.

White had one bad mistake. He wasn't throwing every third pass to a defender. That may be why he ran more, if nothing was there he took off. He also endured the heaviest pressure of the year by far.

I think you're completely wrong. SW went through progressions, got out of the pocket and made some plays (on at least 4 different occasions). Do you honestly think JJ scrambles to his left, makes a DB commit and lobs a pass over his head for a nice play? He hasn't for 3 games so there's no reason to believe that he would've last night. I think it's unfair to compare QB's without looking at intangibles such as poise, progressions and decision making. JJ may have more arm strength, but I would rather play with someone who is willing to lay it on the line such as SW. Based on the sample size, JJ would've been sacked at least 6-7 times last night.

good grief........msu took the long ball away from us. it was an msu scheme and not so much sean.

SW made quicker decisions, crisper handoffs, ran when it made sense to run and generally passed well. The running game worked the best it has all year. Diaz dialed up more pressure than AU has faced all year and there were sacks. Play calling got too conservative after the interception, but before that he looked very good.

I kind of agree. We aren't doing a good job throwing downfield with either qb. the only difference I see between them thus far is that Johnson seemed to take deep shots when they weren't there. White just seemed afraid to take deep shots altogether.

Personally, I thought Johnson looked better in the second half against LSU when we committed to running the ball between the tackles and allowed him to be involved in the run game. White had the benefit of us doing that from the start.

To me, it seems like either a play calling or a coaching issue. The lack of well designed deep throws is troubling to me.

Did you notice how deep MSUs safeties were? Did you even watch the game?

In SW, I saw a confident leader. His 1 INT was a rookie mistake but other players seemed to respond to him. Looking at his eyes, I saw a spirit that is not afraid. As he gains experience, he will be a terrific QB and leader

The o line and the play calling did SW no favors. Heavy blitz that everyone knows is coming....and we do a double fake reverse that takes an extreme amount of time to run?

Long developing plays mixed with poor blocking and a blitz happy defense set the tone for the offense.

Looked like SW was handcuffed a lot. Seemed like Gus did want to ease him into the game but then played to not lose. Playing not to lose means you are going to lose.

I really liked what I saw from SW in such a small sample size.

I like white. Quicker release, better footwork, better mechanics more accurate and better touch. Threw into coverage twice, about half as many times as JJ did in each game. JJ is much bigger and stronger. I like the decision to bring him in on short yardage and would have kept him in even after the timeout. I might have brought JJ in needing two scores with five minutes left. That's a point when you almost always lose and would be the only way for JJ to let it all hang out and build his confidence. Not a huge difference in the two like cole mentioned but I was expecting more out of JJ. At this point we clearly must go with Sean.

Yes, you will deservedly get flamed for this thread.

You can try....better have some logic behind it though, cuz I DEFINITELY have questions I don't think would be answered

good grief........msu took the long ball away from us. it was an msu scheme and not so much sean.

Shhhhh... Those facts can't be discussed... I bet JJ would have got the ball through all those double covered receivers on the deep ball like he has all year....oh, wait...

The deep ball was not Whites fault. It was play calling and the Oline. White is alot more accurate than JJ, makes much better decisions and runs better. Not sure why this discussion is even happening other than the lack of scoring (which again is solely on the Oline and playcalling)

I think part of the issue is that so many had so high expectations of JJ; they felt betrayed by his poor play.

With SW, everyone was predisposed to give him a break, since he was coming in to rescue the team.

I don't think that's fair to JJ.

But I'm also not convinced that JJ is 'as good' an option as SW. I'm not sure that they did the same things. I see the stats and Stat's claims in the MSU Game Reportcard thread. But I still think SW was better than JJ would have been.

I'm more concerned about the playcalling. Why couldn't we handle Miss State's blitzes? Why consistently call run after run on first down? Why call a play-action pass on 3rd and 20 with no time left?

So, I am willing to be convinced that JJ and SW are essentially the same. But it will take more evidence.

Yes, as mentioned they played the safeties deep. Why we don't have a short quick passing game like slants and drags to draw them back in is my problem. We ran good but not in huge chunks. We have got to make them pay with red zone tds.

Actually they aren't even remotely the same. Sean White, when asked to throw it, went through his progressions very well. There were several times everything down field was covered and he went to his last option and we got positive yards out of it. There were also times when absolutely everything was covered and he tucked it and took off running. We never saw any of that with Johnson. I thought Sean looked very comfortable back there and did a nice job. Redzone offense was an issue last year with Marshall at QB and it hasn't been fixed. I think that's a play calling issue. But to think White and Johnson are the same just isn't accurate.

Actually they aren't even remotely the same. Sean White, when asked to throw it, went through his progressions very well. There were several times everything down field was covered and he went to his last option and we got positive yards out of it. There were also times when absolutely everything was covered and he tucked it and took off running. We never saw any of that with Johnson. I thought Sean looked very comfortable back there and did a nice job. Redzone offense was an issue last year with Marshall at QB and it hasn't been fixed. I think that's a play calling issue. But to think White and Johnson are the same just isn't accurate.

About sums it up.

You can try....better have some logic behind it though, cuz I DEFINITELY have questions I don't think would be answered

Lol. That good old Cole "logic". Been thinking up some enigmatic masterpieces.

SW actually progressed through his reads and would dump it off short. I saw only one pass that he missed and it was a wide open Chandler Cox on a wheel route to his right that he never saw.

A redshirt freshman who never took a collegiate snap that went straight to it last night looked poised and confident in the pocket. Much better than JJ. Our biggest problem was getting the ball in the redzone.. Forcing the ball on that interception was a typical frosh mistake. Nothing he could do about Golson's bad snap. And the pass he made to Cox on the out route was catchable but still wouldn't have scored.

Overall, SW did good and will improve and develope. This was his first game. Looked much better than JJ's first game.

About sums it up.

Well, like I said, I'm not convinced they are the same. But Stat also makes a similar claim in his report card thread. Essentially, statistically, SW did no better passing than JJ has done so far.

But I saw what y'all saw -- that SW looked more decisive and more in control. So, I'm asking cole for more support for the claim that JJ and SW are the same.

About sums it up.

Well, like I said, I'm not convinced they are the same. But Stat also makes a similar claim in his report card thread. Essentially, statistically, SW did no better passing than JJ has done so far.

But I saw what y'all saw -- that SW looked more decisive and more in control. So, I'm asking cole for more support for the claim that JJ and SW are the same.

I think Stats point was that in the plays we called last night, it wouldn't have made a difference. I don't necessarily agree with that, but he has the evidence to support that theory. His point was critical of play calling, not White, and he wasn't trying to say they are the same.

Lol. That good old Cole "logic". Been thinking up some enigmatic masterpieces.

A victim of a flame attempt....

The progression stuff you said is not accurate

Agree.

Archived