Upon Further Review - MSU Postgame

StatTiger

• The average distance Sean White faced passing on third down was 10.5 yards.

• Through 4 games the Auburn defense has allowed the opponent to convert 62% of their 3rd downs during the first-half and 31% during the second-half.

• 47 percent of Auburn's first down snaps have netted 3-yards or less.

• Auburn had 7 impact plays in the passing game thru 3 games and 5 against MSU. Hopefully this latest improvement will continue.

• Sean White was 8 of 9 passing for 66-yards or 7.3 yards per pass attempt on first down. Of the 9 pass attempts on 1st down, 7 of them came after Auburn trailed 17-6 late in the 3rd period. On the flipside, Dak Prescott attempted 10 pass attempts on 1st down during the first half , also averaging 7.3 yards per attempt, building a 14-0 lead by halftime. Better to have those first down pass attempts early than the back-end of the game.

• Through 4 games, Auburn has completed 21 of 25 passes on 1st down for 170-yards or 6.8 yards per attempt. With an average of only 4.7 yards per play on first down, it would be wise to lean on the 6.8 yards per pass attempt.

• During possessions that netted at least 3 first downs, AU has scored 69.2% of the time with TD's, 30.8% of the time. Last year they scored 81.2% of the time with TD's, 64.6%. During 2013 it was 75.0% scoring with TD's 54.5% of the time.

• Through 4 games, 50.6% of Peyton Barber's carries have netted at least 5-yards and Roc Thomas is at 36.0%. Barber's attempts have netted a 15-yd run 3.7% and Roc is at 4.0%. Barber's attempts have netted 10+ runs 12.3% and Roc is at 12.0%. Kerryon Johnson has netted 5+ yards at 54.5%.

• 64.9% of Auburn's rushing totals have come during the second-half. The Tigers average 3.4 yards per rush during the first-half and 5.0 yards per attempt during the second-half.

• Through 4 games, Auburn has scored 17 points off their opponent's turnovers, while the opponent has scored 28 points.

• Auburn is 2-0 this year when winning the first down battle (yards per play) and, 0-2 when they don't.

• Auburn is 2-0 this season, winning the TFL battle and 0-2 when they don't.

• Auburn currently has a pass-rating of 167.5 on 1st down, the 3rd best by an Auburn offense the last 25 seasons.

• Auburn currently averages 4.1 yards per rush on 1st down, 17th best by an Auburn run-offense over the past 25 years.

• Auburn currently has a pass-rating of 68.4 on third-down the worst rating by an Auburn offense the past 25 years.

• Last nights game was a season high in first downs, rushing and impact plays, an indicator the change at quarterback was a good decision and something for this offense to build upon.

• Peyton Barber has 411-yards rushing on the season and leads the team in impact plays or plays of 15-yards or more.

• Last night was a season high for the Auburn defense in points and yards allowed during a game. It was also a season high in third-down defense, something the Tigers have struggled with this season.

Moving forward, Auburn improved as a team despite losing the football game. The change at quarterback was a productive one and Sean White showed more signs that he will be a key contributor than not. If Gus Malzahn makes the effort to pass more frequently on first down, this offense will have a better chance of sustaining drives. Auburn is currently averaging only 4.7 yards per play on first down, the worst of any Gus Malzahn offense. It should be no surprise the offense is converting only 39 percent of their third downs, the second-worst by a Gus Malzahn offense.

Auburn's lack of a pass-rush without blitzing continues to be an ongoing theme over the past three seasons. Without Carl Lawson, this will likely continue to be an issue. Will Muschamp has been reluctant in blitzing, especially with so many young faces in the Auburn secondary. As the season progresses, and the defensive backs gain more experience, Muschamp will likely become more aggressive. Because Mississippi State has struggled with their running backs in their run-offense, it is difficult to determine how much the Auburn run-defense improved last night.

For those who elect to compare this season to 2012, it is not close at this point. The offense and defense are in better shape in terms of yards gained and allowed, and special teams is far superior in 2015. Auburn is in much better shape at the quarterback position compared to 2012, with a higher probability for success moving forward. The players have not lost faith in the coaching staff, which means they will continue to fight with the intent of continued improvement. The long-term goals of winning the West, the conference and being a playoff team is out the window, but this team can still be better in years end than the way they started.

War Eagle!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope to see two things moving forward:

1) More passing on first down, especially early in the game; and

2) A much improved pass rush -- even if that means taking more chances and blitzing more.

2) A much improved pass rush -- even if that means taking more chances and blitzing more.

Agree on both. Why not blitz more? Risk/reward type deal. Either we blitz and give up a big play and the other team scores or we sit back and it's death by a thousand cuts all the way down the field and they score.

Agree on both. Why not blitz more? Risk/reward type deal. Either we blitz and give up a big play and the other team scores or we sit back and it's death by a thousand cuts all the way down the field and they score.

Well, I will say the D improved mightily last night in terms of scoring. We actually managed to force some 3 and outs. But if I'm not mistaken, some of those came when we did actually apply pressure through blitzing.

I'm not advocating all or nothing on D. But I do want us to use the blitz more than we have.

Hate to pile on to the host of other similar comments (in other threads) but this emphasizes the problems our play-calling is creating. Hard to know if it's the coaches' poor decisions, coaches' lack of confidence in our players, or the players' inability to execute a more complex/nuanced playbook. If it doesn't change it is going to be a long year with few reasons to celebrate.

Completely disagree with White as QB. He shows heart and confidence, but in this offense, we need a difference maker at QB. No one has yet to answer me this: Is it coincidence that our best offenses under Gus have been with QBs who are dual threats? Be honest with yourselves. I'm so tired of hearing how well his offense did at Tulsa, this is the SEC. I don't need to be a statistician to see that our offense is best when our QB is a legitimate threat to run. Go and re-watch the game from last night. Sean didn't do anything spectacular, all safe 6-8 yard throws, that you Stat even said JJ could do, which he did. Miss. State was never scared about SW beating them, hence why they put two safeties deep, knowing he wouldn't hurt them running the ball. I'm sorry, sometimes I wonder if people watch the same game. I'm not asking for JJ, as you have seen from my posts I was never buying the hype from him. However, with SW as QB, we are very limited on offense. I say give Jason Smith a chance, see what he can do. I would go with a dual threat/running QB over a passing QB in our offense any day of the week, but it appears that Gus wants to be stubborn and prove to people he doesn't have to have a running QB to compete in the SEC, which, as STATS DON'T LIE, is not true, and he needs a dual threat QB to win championships with his style of offense.

Completely disagree with White as QB. He shows heart and confidence, but in this offense, we need a difference maker at QB. No one has yet to answer me this: Is it coincidence that our best offenses under Gus have been with QBs who are dual threats? Be honest with yourselves. I'm so tired of hearing how well his offense did at Tulsa, this is the SEC. I don't need to be a statistician to see that our offense is best when our QB is a legitimate threat to run. Go and re-watch the game from last night. Sean didn't do anything spectacular, all safe 6-8 yard throws, that you Stat even said JJ could do, which he did. Miss. State was never scared about SW beating them, hence why they put two safeties deep, knowing he wouldn't hurt them running the ball. I'm sorry, sometimes I wonder if people watch the same game. I'm not asking for JJ, as you have seen from my posts I was never buying the hype from him. However, with SW as QB, we are very limited on offense. I say give Jason Smith a chance, see what he can do. I would go with a dual threat/running QB over a passing QB in our offense any day of the week, but it appears that Gus wants to be stubborn and prove to people he doesn't have to have a running QB to compete in the SEC, which, as STATS DON'T LIE, is not true, and he needs a dual threat QB to win championships with his style of offense.

Another QB change mid-season? Right after the recent replacement directed an offense to a season high in first downs and impact plays. Auburn had 5 possessions with 4 first downs or more during the first 3 games (31 possessions). Auburn had 3 such possessions out of 9 last night but what the heck.... let's put a guy out their with a very limited knowledge of the offense and inconsistent passing skills just because he is a dual-threat!

I agree in terms that we are grasping at straws to find positives in a season that we should be much better than we are. But, we are in year three with a HC who has been regaled as a wunderkind HC and offensive genius. I hope we see that soon and we can actually win a game against a SEC opponent. This whole season has been an indictment against Gus (Stat, you questioned me on another board when I posted that losing to Louisville would be an indictment against Gus. We did not lose that game, but what about the rest of the season?)

wde

I agree in terms that we are grasping at straws to find positives in a season that we should be much better than we are. But, we are in year three with a HC who has been regaled as a wunderkind HC and offensive genius. I hope we see that soon and we can actually win a game against a SEC opponent. This whole season has been an indictment against Gus (Stat, you questioned me on another board when I posted that losing to Louisville would be an indictment against Gus. We did not lose that game, but what about the rest of the season?)

wde

Don't change your wording... your comment was IT WAS an indictment on Gus Malzahn, which is why I disagreed. I made it a point to state no ONE game should be an indictment on any player or coach.

Another QB change mid-season? Right after the recent replacement directed an offense to a season high in first downs and impact plays. Auburn had 5 possessions with 4 first downs or more during the first 3 games (31 possessions). Auburn had 3 such possessions out of 9 last night but what the heck.... let's put a guy out their with a very limited knowledge of the offense and inconsistent passing skills just because he is a dual-threat!

Exactly. Give Jason a package of plays, but start SW unless he loses it.

I really enjoy your stats and analysis Stat, but I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, just asking an honest question. Look at the film from last night with SW, was he the reason for those numbers on offense, or was it because Miss. State was allowing Auburn to get these short passes, knowing that SW is not a threat. You saw what happened when they decided to pin their ears back, the same thing with JJ. And by the way, what could it hurt in giving Jason Smith a few series? I never said anything about benching SW, I said White is not a fit for the offense that can win championships. I agree with another poster on another thread. I feel as if Auburn fans have such low expectations at QB because of JJ, that SW's average play is considered unbelievable and phenomenal (embellishing a little, but you get my drift). And better yet, still didn't produce a TD Drive. You telling me Jason Smith couldn't run a variation of what NM did here, and not at least do better? Because, I know you have to agree with me on this at least, a QB that can run is much harder for a defense to prepare and you have to account for everyone, whereas a QB, like SW, is not a threat for the defense, and becomes a disadvantage for an offense like we have. All I'm saying is what would it really hurt to try a few series with Jason Smith?

wde

Don't change your wording... your comment was IT WAS an indictment on Gus Malzahn, which is why I disagreed. I made it a point to state no ONE game should be an indictment on any player or coach.

Fair point and I agree with your assessment of my wording. In my defense, I never thought the Jax State game, the LSU game and Miss State game would have turned out the way they did. What is your opinion through 4 games this season in terms of Gus going forward based on last season and this season both on and off of the field? Be honest.

wde

Love all the comments from championship coaches in here. Keep them coming. ;)

Seriously......we improved last night. Let's see how we do v/s SJS and UK....

Just to address some of the complaints about not going "down field".....first, the MSU defense had twin safeties and the odds of anyone getting lose against them was very small....but more significant IMO is that it does not appear that we have a receiver capable of going down the field and being able to fight for the ball against multiple defenders. Louis was apparently hurt ....and Duke just does not seem to have the "want to" to run those routes.

JMO but against a pretty good defense, the plan to take what they were willing to give us was OK....it was the red zone play calling and lack of success that caused the biggest offensive concerns. I've been nagging about the play calling in the red zone for at least a year...as have others...but it still looks the same and still is costing us a ton of points.

Those two pass plays with SW running to the right on the narrow side of the field....I just don't see the purpose....and on the first one, he got baited into throwing it back across his body when there was no one (big surprise) open in the corner. In some ways the abortive effort with the Jumbo package at least made some sense....up until Gus or Lash lost their nerve and went back to .....who knows what the play was intended to be?

I really enjoy your stats and analysis Stat, but I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, just asking an honest question. Look at the film from last night with SW, was he the reason for those numbers on offense, or was it because Miss. State was allowing Auburn to get these short passes, knowing that SW is not a threat. You saw what happened when they decided to pin their ears back, the same thing with JJ. And by the way, what could it hurt in giving Jason Smith a few series? I never said anything about benching SW, I said White is not a fit for the offense that can win championships. I agree with another poster on another thread. I feel as if Auburn fans have such low expectations at QB because of JJ, that SW's average play is considered unbelievable and phenomenal (embellishing a little, but you get my drift). And better yet, still didn't produce a TD Drive. You telling me Jason Smith couldn't run a variation of what NM did here, and not at least do better? Because, I know you have to agree with me on this at least, a QB that can run is much harder for a defense to prepare and you have to account for everyone, whereas a QB, like SW, is not a threat for the defense, and becomes a disadvantage for an offense like we have. All I'm saying is what would it really hurt to try a few series with Jason Smith?

IMO, too much subbing going on as it is, especially for an offense trying to find it's identity. I think we should single out our most consistent players, schemes and plays and build a solid game plan around the base offense. When that becomes consistent, then add all the fluffy stuff.

Fair point and I agree with your assessment of my wording. In my defense, I never thought the Jax State game, the LSU game and Miss State game would have turned out the way they did. What is your opinion through 4 games this season in terms of Gus going forward based on last season and this season both on and off of the field? Be honest.

wde

I stated before the season, this was a 9-3 team. I noted the last 10 MNC winners had talent, experience and exceptional QB play. I thought we were too youthful to make a MNC run. From the people I have conversed with that were actually at practices, JJ did indeed look the part, even with physical scrimmages. I think his struggles truly caught this staff off guard as well as many others that saw him play. I have heard some interesting statements made that might explain JJ's issues but would never share them in an open forum. The injuries on defense have really set the defense back and Muschamp is doing his best to change the culture of preparation and commitment.

Two points,one reguardless of the numbers the defense played better last night because they played with some fire and effort something that has been greatly missing and second how do we know Sean can not run?I don't remember seeing any read option plays called.

IMO, too much subbing going on as it is, especially for an offense trying to find it's identity. I think we should single out our most consistent players, schemes and plays and build a solid game plan around the base offense. When that becomes consistent, then add all the fluffy stuff.

Amen about the subbing,if they didn't sub on the goal line when they were on their heels I think they score a TD instead of FG.

I agree with the playcalling and substitution issues, which are killing drives. However, what would it hurt to put Jason in there for a series if the offense isn't producing points? NM and Cam's athletic ability I believe covered up a lot of the poor play-calling at times while they were here, and who's to say Jason couldn't do the same, because he is very athletic. Heck, look at that Louisville True Freshman QB who ran all over us. Why not just try something like that? As I see it, all teams have to do is look at this game to prepare for SW, and it's pretty much game over for us unless everything gets cleaned up really quickly, and SW becomes an athletic QB.

I agree with the playcalling and substitution issues, which are killing drives. However, what would it hurt to put Jason in there for a series if the offense isn't producing points? NM and Cam's athletic ability I believe covered up a lot of the poor play-calling at times while they were here, and who's to say Jason couldn't do the same, because he is very athletic. Heck, look at that Louisville True Freshman QB who ran all over us. Why not just try something like that? As I see it, all teams have to do is look at this game to prepare for SW, and it's pretty much game over for us unless everything gets cleaned up really quickly, and SW becomes an athletic QB.

Had the play calling not got cute in the red zone and we stuck with the run, a lot of these post sure would have been "WOW!, We're Back" I hope Gus reals in the reigns and learns to stick with what was working to get us in the RED Zone to begin with. Peyton is a work horse and should get the ball all four downs from the two yard line. Some times you can out coach yourself and everything back fires.

Way to Go Team. Keep fighting.

Again.... IMO, this team doesn't need more gimic solutions. This team got a very good spark from SW operating the actual offense. The limited time available needs to be spent on correcting and improving the base offense. The coaches are looking at long term solutions and not a quick fix.

Again.... IMO, this team doesn't need more gimic solutions. This team got a very good spark from SW operating the actual offense. The limited time available needs to be spent on correcting and improving the base offense. The coaches are looking at long term solutions and not a quick fix.

Thank god

Archived