Cowarts playing time

aubfaninga

Give him time and he may be unstoppable.

What player couldn't you say this about?

Players who don't have Cowart's size and athleticism will get better given time but probably won't become elite. I believe the poster said this about Cowart because of his potential to become elite. May not happen but if I was a betting man I would bet that it will. I am just not sure when the light will come on along with the work ethic to become elite.

Correct. We are talking about a true freshman that has played 4 games. I can't remember a true freshman DE that has played as much as he has in the first 4 games of his career. Lawson did not play near this much this early.

Kerryon Johnson is another true freshman on the team. I'd say he's made some noise, jumped out on film a few times. You've heard the coaches say his name a few times in front of microphones, too.

Nobody's calling Cowart a bust. Nobody's saying that he necessarily should have done more by now*. But, yeah, you kinda wish that the #1 player in the country- who I think we all agree has the athletic gifts in spades- had made a little noise at a position of absolutely desperate need by now.

Edit: *Okay, maybe that's what some of us are saying.

There is a huge difference between a true freshman running back who carries the ball a few times a game and a true freshman DE who has been forced into a starting role 2 games into the season playing 30+ snaps a game and going up against experienced OL. There is a reason why most DEs do not start as a freshmen but many RBS may start as true freshmen.

I am not saying he is going to be elite, but i am saying to give him a chance.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players who don't have Cowart's size and athleticism will get better given time but probably won't become elite. I believe the poster said this about Cowart because of his potential to become elite. May not happen but if I was a betting man I would bet that it will. I am just not sure when the light will come on along with the work ethic to become elite.

Correct. We are talking about a true freshman that has played 4 games. I can't remember a true freshman DE that has played as much as he has in the first 4 games of his career. Lawson did not play near this much this early.

Kerryon Johnson is another true freshman on the team. I'd say he's made some noise, jumped out on film a few times. You've heard the coaches say his name a few times in front of microphones, too.

Nobody's calling Cowart a bust. Nobody's saying that he necessarily should have done more by now*. But, yeah, you kinda wish that the #1 player in the country- who I think we all agree has the athletic gifts in spades- had made a little noise at a position of absolutely desperate need by now.

There is a huge difference between a true freshman running back who carries the ball a few times a game and a true freshman DE who has been forced into a starting role 2 games into the season playing 30+ snaps a game and going up against experienced OL. There is a reason why most DEs do not start as a freshmen but many RBS may start as true freshmen.

Plenty of young DEs making noise early now. Like Loof said, I'm not calling the guy a bust. I just would've hoped to have seen a few more impact plays by now.

This is not on BC. Our coaches are overrated and do not develop talent as well as many other teams in the conference. Ole Miss took unheralded and undersized Marcus Haynes last year and he finished with 9 sacks. Myles Garret and Daylon Mack both made immediate impact at A&M. We've been without Lawson for 18 months, have a roster of 5 straight top 10 recruiting classes, and our coaches still cannot find one adequate pass rusher. That's unacceptable. You can slice and dice that any way you want, but our coaches are responsible for developing talent and they aren't doing it. Watch them this week. We will line up 4 lineman squared up across from 5 blockers and step straight into them. There will be no stunts, twists, slants, or swim moves. Hard for anyone to get a pass rush that way. Remember, one of Muschamps delays in taking the job was that he wanted to bring his own D Line coach. There was a reason for that.

I think Coach Garner is doing a fine job running the defensive line at Auburn.

:rimshot:

It is an opinion...just not yours

This is not on BC. Our coaches are overrated and do not develop talent as well as many other teams in the conference. Ole Miss took unheralded and undersized Marcus Haynes last year and he finished with 9 sacks. Myles Garret and Daylon Mack both made immediate impact at A&M. We've been without Lawson for 18 months, have a roster of 5 straight top 10 recruiting classes, and our coaches still cannot find one adequate pass rusher. That's unacceptable. You can slice and dice that any way you want, but our coaches are responsible for developing talent and they aren't doing it. Watch them this week. We will line up 4 lineman squared up across from 5 blockers and step straight into them. There will be no stunts, twists, slants, or swim moves. Hard for anyone to get a pass rush that way. Remember, one of Muschamps delays in taking the job was that he wanted to bring his own D Line coach. There was a reason for that.

I think Coach Garner is doing a fine job running the defensive line at Auburn.

:rimshot:/>

It is an opinion...just not yours

You are correct, sir.

"It was a very unselfish game plan for our defensive line to play the way they did.".~~ Coach Hothead complimenting the D-line's performance in the MSU game. Source, ITAT. According to Muschamp, they were assigned to constrict the pocket and keep Prescott from running wild, which they certainly accomplished.

Plenty of young DEs making noise early now. Like Loof said, I'm not calling the guy a bust. I just would've hoped to have seen a few more impact plays by now.

lawson was a true freshman with just as much hype. He was ok but only really stood out in the Bama game. Give the kid a break as the competition is a little different. N

"It was a very unselfish game plan for our defensive line to play the way they did.".~~ Coach Hothead complimenting the D-line's performance in the MSU game. Source, ITAT. According to Muschamp, they were assigned to constrict the pocket and keep Prescott from running wild, which they certainly accomplished.

Thank you for posting this quote ... ill be honest, I thought it was pretty obvious we were containing a running qb who had gashed us each of the last 2 years first with the pass rush secondary.

Being as I wasn't sure, I didn't want to weigh into the Internet fracas here but good grief the level of criticism that can be leveled sometimes.

I don't know whether the DL is playing as well as they need to. But neither do the other posters. This quote shows that a certain level of vicious criticism is unwarranted and some of it flat ignorant. I am constantly amazed that folks will look at the play of one position in a vacuum without understanding that there could be a scheme in which each position plays a part. The DL may not be on orders to sack the QB as a first priority on each play.

If your going to excoriate the players, at least either have a freaking clue or recognize more might be happening,

Sorry - rant over ...

And giving up in the low 300's yard on D is solid against an sec team.

lawson was a true freshman with just as much hype. He was ok but only really stood out in the Bama game. Give the kid a break as the competition is a little different. N

Ole Miss

Trent Thompson the number one DT in the country hasn't done anything for UGA either. Just a food for thought.

Trent Thompson the number one DT in the country hasn't done anything for UGA either. Just a food for thought.

He's starting today... btw

Thank you for posting this quote ... ill be honest, I thought it was pretty obvious we were containing a running qb who had gashed us each of the last 2 years first with the pass rush secondary.

Being as I wasn't sure, I didn't want to weigh into the Internet fracas here but good grief the level of criticism that can be leveled sometimes.

I don't know whether the DL is playing as well as they need to. But neither do the other posters. This quote shows that a certain level of vicious criticism is unwarranted and some of it flat ignorant. I am constantly amazed that folks will look at the play of one position in a vacuum without understanding that there could be a scheme in which each position plays a part. The DL may not be on orders to sack the QB as a first priority on each play.

If your going to excoriate the players, at least either have a freaking clue or recognize more might be happening,

Sorry - rant over ...

And giving up in the low 300's yard on D is solid against an sec team.

Thought it was obvious too. Posted about it in the game day thread when people were complaining about our line getting blocked.

Archived