Cowarts playing time

aubfaninga

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been really focusing on him but has he made any plays in the first 4 games? I've seen him get juked out of his shoes one time and I see him chasing the play every now and then but other than that I'm not sure if he's even been out there that much.

I haven't seen much of him, but when I do notice him he looks uncomfortable. I think he's struggling to play at his higher weight. He appears slow.

I haven't seen much of him, but when I do notice him he looks uncomfortable. I think he's struggling to play at his higher weight. He appears slow.

Lol @ "the great [edited] hope"

I haven't been really focusing on him but has he made any plays in the first 4 games? I've seen him get juked out of his shoes one time and I see him chasing the play every now and then but other than that I'm not sure if he's even been out there that much.

He got rotated pretty regularly in the first 3 games but with little impact. I just noticed he was not in the rotation against Miss St.

He played this weekend. I think he looks fine. He's not bigger than everyone else out there now and so he's got some growing pains. He'll be a good player let him grow up on the field some

I am watching him grow which is why I noticed his decrease in playing time this week. I also noticed that Kennion played a lot this week. Maybe we see Cowart get some snaps at d tackle next to Monty if we are gonna put more trust in Kennion. We have two do something to get the double team off of Monty.

Cowart is coming along fine for a Freshman. Boom spoke to that in his last presser. Just remember that Lawson didn't get the hang of it his Freshman year until his 5th or 6th game. Until then he was lost and Garner was yelling at him when he came off the field. Yes, at his present weight they may have him play more inside like Daniel. Cowart will be ok.

I know it's still early but has anyone seen a glimpse of promise of him being elite? Getting real push on the oline, anything?

Carl Lawson you could just see a high motor of a guy that went full speed and was getting some push early.

I know it's still early but has anyone seen a glimpse of promise of him being elite? Getting real push on the oline, anything?

Carl Lawson you could just see a high motor of a guy that went full speed and was getting some push early.

I'm going to get blasted for this but I haven't seen it. Before y'all say "You're crazy! He's only 4 games into his freshman year!"...I realize that. I'm not calling the kid a bust, just saying I haven't even seen a glimpse of why he was considered the #1 overall recruit in the country.

There are freshmen who make large impacts on their teams every single year. There are standouts on both sides of the ball and even in the trenches. I didn't expect BC to be a superstar from game 1 but I did expect at least a few "wow plays" by now with some solid plays sprinkled in. I just haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he'll be that guy this year.

Cowart is no bust. Not having Lawson on the field has impacted a lot of what he was going to be doing. Give him some time to figure it out.....

I'm going to get blasted for this but I haven't seen it. Before y'all say "You're crazy! He's only 4 games into his freshman year!"...I realize that. I'm not calling the kid a bust, just saying I haven't even seen a glimpse of why he was considered the #1 overall recruit in the country.

There are freshmen who make large impacts on their teams every single year. There are standouts on both sides of the ball and even in the trenches. I didn't expect BC to be a superstar from game 1 but I did expect at least a few "wow plays" by now with some solid plays sprinkled in. I just haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he'll be that guy this year.

Cowart's "#1 overall recruit status" was created almost entirely from camp and combine performances. In real game action, he hardly ever performed up to the label of "best in the country". In fact, there were quite a few big games in which he was showed up by players "below him". He is very much an enigma.

Cowart's "#1 overall recruit status" was created almost entirely from camp and combine performances. In real game action, he hardly ever performed up to the label of "best in the country". In fact, there were quite a few big games in which he was showed up by players "below him". He is very much an enigma.

Damn...hate to hear that.

ETA- I do remember his coach talking about how he took plays off and didn't really reach his full potential but I wasn't sure how much stock to put into it.

Cowart is no bust. Not having Lawson on the field as impacted a lot of what he was going to be doing. Give him some time to figure it out.....

Just another example that so many people on this board don't understand the difference between HS and the SEC. Too much expectation placed on guys like Cowart who have rarely played against any as big and strong as they are for an entire game... much less against guys who are a few years more mature too.

Just getting meaningful playing time as a freshman lineman in this conference is quite an accomplishment.

I realize that some people grab hold of the idea that a guy this big who is a 5* HS player is going to immediately be a dominant player on AU's defense (or offense). But.... a little dose of realism is sure needed on this board.

Cowart is no bust. Not having Lawson on the field as impacted a lot of what he was going to be doing. Give him some time to figure it out.....

Just another example that so many people on this board don't understand the difference between HS and the SEC. Too much expectation placed on guys like Cowart who have rarely played against any as big and strong as they are for an entire game... much less against guys who are a few years more mature too.

Just getting meaningful playing time as a freshman lineman in this conference is quite an accomplishment.

I realize that some people grab hold of the idea that a guy this big who is a 5* HS player is going to immediately be a dominant player on AU's defense (or offense). But.... a little dose of realism is sure needed on this board.

I don't think people are expecting him to be dominant( though I did see posts before week 1 about how Lawson and Cowart would dominate. How could an oline possibly block all our playmakers?!?). I think we're just looking for a contribution...anything at all. Freshmen contribute all over the country now. It's really not that unheard of.

I think that when those people see Clowney, Robert Nzewatzooey ha whatever his name is Land Shark, Carl Lawson, and Monty Adams (closer to home) show flashes of greatness early, then they say why haven't we seen that from Cowart. Cowart was not ranked any less than those guys and they all performed early and you could see the flashes of greatness even though they were freshmen. Cowart hasn't shown those flashes, yet, but may. I see big time potential in J Holland.

Myles Garrett and Daylon Mack could be added to the early flashes list.

I think that when those people see Clowney, Robert Nzewatzooey ha whatever his name is Land Shark, Carl Lawson, and Monty Adams (closer to home) show flashes of greatness early, then they say why haven't we seen that from Cowart. Cowart was not ranked any less than those guys and they all performed early and you could see the flashes of greatness even though they were freshmen. Cowart hasn't shown those flashes, yet, but may. I see big time potential in J Holland.

"flashes" is a good term....Adams is a good example...some early flashes and pretty quickly the opposition picked up on him and he's been less of a factor now. JMO but DE and DL and probably LB are the most difficult places for a freshman to make an impact......usually facing bigger and stronger guys (and sometimes two of them) from the offense.

Just sayin'.... give the guy a break and avoid the kind of excessive level of expectation that has been causing so much angst with JJ the past few weeks.

"flashes" is a good term....Adams is a good example...some early flashes and pretty quickly the opposition picked up on him and he's been less of a factor now. JMO but DE and DL and probably LB are the most difficult places for a freshman to make an impact......usually facing bigger and stronger guys (and sometimes two of them) from the offense.

Just sayin'.... give the guy a break and avoid the kind of excessive level of expectation that has been causing so much angst with JJ the past few weeks.

Just remember a true freshman DL pretty much dominated us all game against TAMU last year. Look up Derek Barnett's stats for UT. It is possible.

Maybe he's just not on freak status as those guys like Myles Garrett and D Barnett. Its ok if he's a standard human that has to develop

I went back to watch his highlights to see what made him number 1. His size and strength made him number 1. I saw a huge 6 foot 5 240-250 pounder dominate single blocks with pure strength against smaller olinemen. I saw him pick up a bunch of fumbles that other defenders caused.

I also stumbled across a video of all Carl Lawson's plays against Louisville, what a beast. He is a huge difference maker!! He played gimped a little and was still getting after it. He was in on the last play before half and never returned? Any chance he sees the field this year ?

^^ yes Cowart dominated smaller players in HS. He's going to have to learn to do it against guys his size. I don't know much about defensive football to say whether he has the ability to morph into that at this level. Can someone with more knowledge give any insight on what Cowart's potential could be? He's obviously not on the same level as Garrett or Barnett or else he'd be contributing more 4 games in.

Also, sevenlee can you provide the link to that Carl Lawson vid?

I went back to watch his highlights to see what made him number 1. His size and strength made him number 1. I saw a huge 6 foot 5 240-250 pounder dominate single blocks with pure strength against smaller olinemen. I saw him pick up a bunch of fumbles that other defenders caused.

I also stumbled across a video of all Carl Lawson's plays against Louisville, what a beast. He is a huge difference maker!! He played gimped a little and was still getting after it. He was in on the last play before half and never returned? Any chance he sees the field this year ?

Unlikely

Archived