Please read and help me understand...

AubTiger14

The defense and defensive coaching staff did not just good enough but great.

Special teams were good.

QB play was much better than I hoped. SW is tougher than JJ and playing in the SEC isn't too big for him.

The offensive play calling and not taking what the defense was giving especially in the red zone was the reason we lost. Period. The fact that Gus is has the QB line up in the shotgun formation when we need to get 1 yard to score was poor coaching and resulted in a high snap that cost us points. Not calling for short pass plays over the middle to the best WR in FBS is poor coaching or looks like scared coaching. This what me and a billion or so fans are upset about. From what I saw the entire loss is directly attributable to the offensive coaching staff. We held MSU to 17 points. That is supposed to spell victory for AU. Not 3 field goals and a bunch or great stats after the game is out of reach.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand we started off #6 in the country with a Heisman trophy contender and we were picked to win the SEC, so being 2-2 right now is a huge disappointment. I agree the offensive play calling has been questionable at times. The OL has struggled to protect the passer, and a few skill guys are falling short of expectations. The defense had a lot longer way to go than we thought under Muschamp.

What I don't understand is all the negativity I'm still hearing after Saturday. Can someone please enlighten me?

1. The defense started a bunch of young guys and we gave the best defensive effort we've given all year. (positive)

2. The run game showed some signs of life and consistently picked up chunks in the second half. (positive)

3. Sean White showed he is the future. I don't understand why everyone is questioning him or acting unimpressed. Heaven forbid the guy tries to make a play on his first drive as a college QB and throws a pick. Some people are saying he didn't look much better than JJ, they are unimpressed with his arm, and his ceiling isn't that high. Sean didn't put the ball in jeopardy after that 1 INT. Sean didn't look scared to get hit or unsure of where to go with the ball. Sean looked confident and in control. As far as his arm strength....I'm pretty sure his high school coach said it was well above average, and he can throw the ball 80 yards (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also pretty sure his arm strength was good enough to win Elite 11 MVP and Under Armour All American Game MVP. Last time I checked Drew Brees never had an elite arm and his career has gone pretty well. Let's see how the guy does before we pick him apart. I know I'm a lot more excited to watch the rest of the season with him as our QB than I would be with JJ.

So considering how we looked in Baton Rogue, I feel better about this team even with the loss. I think we have a chance to use San Jose St. as a game to build some confidence, work on developing White and finding a rhythm offensively with him as our QB, get the young guys on defense some more experience, and most importantly get a W. Then we have a bye week before heading into Lexington. No we aren't going to make the playoff, and we probably don't run the table from here on out. But, I think that come November we can be a team that Ole Miss, A&M, Georgia, and Alabama do not want to play, and i thinking beating 1 or maybe even 2 of them is not an unrealistic goal.

Because we played one of the worst teams in the SEC west in terms of talent and coaching and didn't score a single touchdown. We failed in the redzone consistently and had no big plays.

White played moderately well, but he seemed afraid to make any throws down field. This offense needs big plays to be successful. Whether it's play calling, qb confidence, or qb arm strength, we didn't get those kinds of plays out of White.

Even accounting for White, play calling has been bad all season. Whenever we start to get a little momentum in the power run game, we completely go away from it. Basically, we aren't doing any of the stuff that has made this offense work in the past.

Finally, and probably most concerning, is the underperformance. This team is a lot more physically talented than it has shown which suggests a coaching or development problem. There is no excuse for the struggle of our 4-5 star loaded offensive and defensive lines in particular.

Yes... We looked a bit better... Against an inferior team... And we lost... And we are still underperforming 4 games into the season.

So forgive me for being one of the guys in panic mode, but I think many of us are starting to think that Gus is not ready and/or capable of fielding consistently good teams.

I understand we started off #6 in the country with a Heisman trophy contender and we were picked to win the SEC, so being 2-2 right now is a huge disappointment. I agree the offensive play calling has been questionable at times. The OL has struggled to protect the passer, and a few skill guys are falling short of expectations. The defense had a lot longer way to go than we thought under Muschamp.

What I don't understand is all the negativity I'm still hearing after Saturday. Can someone please enlighten me?

1. The defense started a bunch of young guys and we gave the best defensive effort we've given all year. (positive)

2. The run game showed some signs of life and consistently picked up chunks in the second half. (positive)

3. Sean White showed he is the future. I don't understand why everyone is questioning him or acting unimpressed. Heaven forbid the guy tries to make a play on his first drive as a college QB and throws a pick. Some people are saying he didn't look much better than JJ, they are unimpressed with his arm, and his ceiling isn't that high. Sean didn't put the ball in jeopardy after that 1 INT. Sean didn't look scared to get hit or unsure of where to go with the ball. Sean looked confident and in control. As far as his arm strength....I'm pretty sure his high school coach said it was well above average, and he can throw the ball 80 yards (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also pretty sure his arm strength was good enough to win Elite 11 MVP and Under Armour All American Game MVP. Last time I checked Drew Brees never had an elite arm and his career has gone pretty well. Let's see how the guy does before we pick him apart. I know I'm a lot more excited to watch the rest of the season with him as our QB than I would be with JJ.

So considering how we looked in Baton Rogue, I feel better about this team even with the loss. I think we have a chance to use San Jose St. as a game to build some confidence, work on developing White and finding a rhythm offensively with him as our QB, get the young guys on defense some more experience, and most importantly get a W. Then we have a bye week before heading into Lexington. No we aren't going to make the playoff, and we probably don't run the table from here on out. But, I think that come November we can be a team that Ole Miss, A&M, Georgia, and Alabama do not want to play, and i thinking beating 1 or maybe even 2 of them is not an unrealistic goal.

Because we played one of the worst teams in the SEC west in terms of talent and coaching and didn't score a single touchdown. We failed in the redzone consistently and had no big plays.

White played moderately well, but he seemed afraid to make any throws down field. This offense needs big plays to be successful. Whether it's play calling, qb confidence, or qb arm strength, we didn't get those kinds of plays out of White.

Even accounting for White, play calling has been bad all season. Whenever we start to get a little momentum in the power run game, we completely go away from it. Basically, we aren't doing any of the stuff that has made this offense work in the past.

Finally, and probably most concerning, is the underperformance. This team is a lot more physically talented than it has shown which suggests a coaching or development problem. There is no excuse for the struggle of our 4-5 star loaded offensive and defensive lines in particular.

Yes... We looked a bit better... Against an inferior team... And we lost... And we are still underperforming 4 games into the season.

So forgive me for being one of the guys in panic mode, but I think many of us are starting to think that Gus is not ready and/or capable of fielding consistently good teams.

Lemme guess -- not a therapist.

;)

Well, I have followed trends myself. And, IYAM, we have some trophies coming at some point.

It is frustrating. I felt like the defense would be the weak link! Maybe they help motivate the boys who score?

I actually have taken a step back, and if we knew QB was a work in progress, I would expect that issues would arise. Not a lot of experience, and none of the OL have played next to one another. I have also come to the conclusion that Gus should have sent a certain someone home. They could prepare for the draft with a trainer. In hindsight, it would have been best for both parties. I think that has been a bigger distraction than anyone imagined.

Damn...

I agree with OP.as the def was decidedly improved. The running game has been there all year. White played with a FIRE JJ has yet to show. I'll take my chances with Sean let him learn and grow as he will get better every game.

Did you have truth flakes for breakfast this morning? Finally, someone who's been watching the same team on the field as me and didn't feel the need to sugarcoat it or flat out lie to oneself. Welcome to the AUFamily community.

Well, I have followed trends myself. And, IYAM, we have some trophies coming at some point.

It is frustrating. I felt like the defense would be the weak link! Maybe they help motivate the boys who score?

I actually have taken a step back, and if we knew QB was a work in progress, I would expect that issues would arise. Not a lot of experience, and none of the OL have played next to one another. I have also come to the conclusion that Gus should have sent a certain someone home. They could prepare for the draft with a trainer. In hindsight, it would have been best for both parties. I think that has been a bigger distraction than anyone imagined.

Damn...

It was mentioned, prior to the season, on here that the situation regarding the "certain someone" you mentioned could grow into a bigger deal and it looks like it could be a reason for chemistry issues and with how the season has played put I gotta question if thats the case as well

You are exactly right Bird. Most of the negative comments made on these boards are by folks that can't take uga and uat fans ragging them at work, even if uat had less yardage against ULM than we had against MSt. I keep hoping that some day some of these folks grow up and put on their big boy pants and quit worrying about what the rest of the world thinks about AU. As an Auburn fan I'm just happy to watch these kids represent AU. If you think we got to win everything we do at AU then you need to walk away from being a fan and find some other activity. It is not about winning and has never been about winning. It's about young men and women going out and particepting in sports to represent there school. Be happy for them when they win and respect them when they loose for at least they made the effort which is more than most of you can say. WDE

You are exactly right Bird. Most of the negative comments made on these boards are by folks that can't take uga and uat fans ragging them at work, even if uat had less yardage against ULM than we had against MSt. I keep hoping that some day some of these folks grow up and put on their big boy pants and quit worrying about what the rest of the world thinks about AU. As an Auburn fan I'm just happy to watch these kids represent AU. If you think we got to win everything we do at AU then you need to walk away from being a fan and find some other activity. It is not about winning and has never been about winning. It's about young men and women going out and particepting in sports to represent there school. Be happy for them when they win and respect them when they loose for at least they made the effort which is more than most of you can say. WDE

Funny, IIRC, Auburn had several players benched this week for their LACK of effort.

Funny, IIRC, Auburn had several players benched this week for their LACK of effort.

Funny, IIRC all the same guys played their butts off Saturday. SMDH

Auburn is #8 in the SEC in rushing yards/game. 13th in total O.

On defense, we're last in rushing yards and last in total yards. We did run ok against State.

As for State, they decided we could not rush the passer and basically abandoned their running game. Apart from Dak, they only ran the ball 12 times all night. They took us for granted. We can't claim much there. At a big picture level, I'm missing the positive signs.

Did you have truth flakes for breakfast this morning? Finally, someone who's been watching the same team on the field as me and didn't feel the need to sugarcoat it or flat out lie to oneself. Welcome to the AUFamily community.

I'm usually a sunshine pumper. I'm just not seeing much to sunshine pump about. We did look better, but it is solely because we committed to the run.

We can run the ball well, but we can't do so if they have no respect for the possibility of getting beat deep. We can't be successful without big passing plays. So far, I've seen one quarterback that doesn't know when to take the shot and another that doesn't seem to believe (or the coach doesn't seem to believe) that they can make those throws.

As expected. How embarrassing would it have been to get benched in two successive games? Those players probably wouldn't have been given a third opportunity.

I just don't see what all the hoopla is all about. Yeah, the defense played better but after that gutless showing at LSU, what direction did we have to go but up? I think White turned in a good performance for his first ever start at QB. But the fact of the matter is the OL is not the strength we thought it would be and SW just doesn't have much help. I'm hoping this team can pull together and turn this season around.

You weren't saying the same thing Saturday. What changed?

http://www.aufamily....00#entry2327054

http://www.aufamily....25#entry2327080

It was White's first snap ever taken in a college game...what did yall expect from the guy? He played well. If you look at where we are now in comparison to the preseason hype then yes it's really bad, but how we played Saturday in comparison to how we looked at LSU was encouraging IMO. The offensive play calling has definitely been questionable, but Gus has had a successful offense his entire career. I trust he will figure it.

So funny.......... I swear I think some folks on this board must be paid to throw sugar all over this team when things are in the crapper.

It was White's first snap ever taken in a college game...what did yall expect from the guy? He played well. If you look at where we are now in comparison to the preseason hype then yes it's really bad, but how we played Saturday in comparison to how we looked at LSU was encouraging IMO. The offensive play calling has definitely been questionable, but Gus has had a successful offense his entire career. I trust he will figure it.

Again, I think the key here is that it was Mississippi State. They are not a good team this year. They lost a ton of starters on both sides of the ball and they are coached by a complete moron. Imagine the 2011 team, but worse.

I used to think an NFL team (or Texas) would come calling and write Gus a blank check and/or Muschamp wouldn’t hang around long as we wanted.

Both coach’s value has to be diminished to the point that they’re kinda stuck with us.

I’m ok with that.

Will’s comments after LSU stating he was here for the long haul, I think I believe that.

My expectation that we were entering the greatest era of Auburn football is still in-play, it’s just not starting with this team.

We were almost competitive against a decent West team last week, White did fine for his first game, Roc didn’t fumble.

And I’d like a Peyton Barber jersey.

There’s my grand total of positives.

The best stretch of seasons Auburn has ever had is the 86 through 89 seasons and they less than perfect ones. So its a down year so what!! Enjoy watching the development of these young men and have pride in the team! I think they are getting enough grief from non Auburn fans!

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Auburn.htm

Both coach’s value has to be diminished to the point that they’re kinda stuck with us.

I’m ok with that.

Disagree. I doubt that experienced football people would think that 3 bad games, starting at halftime of the Louisville game and ending at halftime of the MSU game, tarnish Will Muschamp's legacy. If anything, they saw him make adjustments and field a much better defense the other night.

And I think they understand that Gus still has a lot to learn about coaching, but that the early body of work is still much better than most coaches through 4 years. But you're probably right- they're probably going to let him learn with us a little longer. Of course, if he whips this offense into a killing machine by November, who knows.

Will’s comments after LSU stating he was here for the long haul, I think I believe that.

I don't tend to believe coaches about much anymore, but Muschamp seems like less of a bull*****er than a lot of guys in the profession, possibly to his own detriment. I hope he's on board for awhile.

My expectation that we were entering the greatest era of Auburn football is still in-play, it’s just not starting with this team.

Well, using words like "entering" and "starting", maybe it is this team? If this team is good by season's end, then we enter 2016 with a lot more than we entered this season with, and I think that's a great beginning. This team reminds me a lot of 2003- not because of unmet expectations, but because of what they actually are, which IMO is a loaded roster that just has to learn how to play football. And the winningest team in the country in the mid-aughts started with that 2003 squad.

We were almost competitive against a decent West team last week, White did fine for his first game, Roc didn’t fumble.

And I’d like a Peyton Barber jersey.

There’s my grand total of positives.

Right there with ya.

Somebody is going to be exposed if they keep it up....

Again, I think the key here is that it was Mississippi State. They are not a good team this year. They lost a ton of starters on both sides of the ball and they are coached by a complete moron. Imagine the 2011 team, but worse.

Miss St. hung with LSU.

We don't have much experience and this is a 2011 type of season for us. Historically AU teams with this level of inexperience have finished a combined 33-30 (source: StatTiger). This is a growth year for this team and we will see it pay off in the next 2 seasons

Archived