Jay Jacobs

PatBoCamRob

Just fired the baseball coach, with cause- and won't discuss the cause. But, the media are reporting the team was on the up and up.

This week I got an email announcing a Miracles and Music concert at JHS.

We are 2-2, with great coaches and young talent. But, ticket prices have been going up 5-10% annually since 2011. Meanwhile, TUF required donations have done the same. This past year, it was announced any new season tickets inside the 20s in the lower bowl would be a flat $3,000 each. That's like $400/ticket, averaged over the season- no matter whether it's the Alabama game or the Alabama A&M game.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport. And we need a more affordable game experience if we are to maintain attendance, especially if we aren't #6 in the country.

I love music. I believe in miracles, and God. But, we are going to attract unnecessary scrutiny with the concert. It's such a Pandora's box to do that.

Above all, the micromanaging and the cultish behavior has got to stop. We can't keep firing coaches after 2 years. We can't have country concerts and bill them as faith affiliated. We can't raise ticket prices like we have.

I think we eventually need an outsider to run the athletics department. It is a major operation with massive revenues. We need a CEO type. Otherwise, the program and the school will both suffer.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just fired the baseball coach, with cause- and won't discuss the cause. But, the media are reporting the team was on the up and up.

We are 2-2, with great coaches and young talent. But, ticket prices have been going up 5-10% annually since 2011. Meanwhile, TUF required donations have done the same. This past year, it was announced any new season tickets inside the 20s in the lower bowl would be a flat $3,000 each. That's like $400/ticket, averaged over the season- no matter whether it's the Alabama game or the Alabama A&M game.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport. And we need a more affordable game experience if we are to maintain attendance, especially if we aren't #6 in the country.

I love music. I believe in miracles, and God. But, we are going to attract unnecessary scrutiny with the concert. It's such a Pandora's box to do that.

Above all, the micromanaging and the cultish behavior has got to stop. We can't keep firing coaches after 2 years. We can't have country concerts and bill them as faith affiliated. We can't raise ticket prices like we have.

I think we eventually need an outsider to run the athletics department. It is a major operation with massive revenues. We need a CEO type. Otherwise, the program and the school will both suffer.

Who would scrutinize our faith-based program?

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

While you make some good points (although on the baseball forum and trickling down to lesser media sources is the reason the baseball coach was fired...Jay had cause), Auburn is more competitive across the board in all sports than it has been in awhile. Gymnastics coming off a Super 6, Men's golf #1 in the nation, Softball Women's CWS, Baseball making it back to a regional, basketball enjoying the benefit of a competent coach for the first time in a decade....I could go on.

Where Jay has backed himself into a corner, as many have mentioned, is with his tendency to give the world to any football coach who has one good season.

I remember reading something about large amounts of tickets that suddenly come up for sale even for rival games that Jacobs claims the AD wasn't able to sell so he lets them go to people of his choice every year. Anyone have any insight on that?

So many arguments in one post.

62778970.jpg

I'm not sure Jacobs is the guy to carry us into a brighter future but it's not like Auburn has had consistency before him either. Basketball has always been pretty mediocre with some periods of success and likewise baseball has had its moments but not consistently. To me this is the thing that must change if Auburn ever wants to sustain success but I am not sure how it changes when you have a long long long history of this kind of inconsistency. Different coaches, different AD's and the same results. Where do we make changes that will last?

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

While you make some good points (although on the baseball forum and trickling down to lesser media sources is the reason the baseball coach was fired...Jay had cause), Auburn is more competitive across the board in all sports than it has been in awhile. Gymnastics coming off a Super 6, Men's golf #1 in the nation, Softball Women's CWS, Baseball making it back to a regional, basketball enjoying the benefit of a competent coach for the first time in a decade....I could go on.

Where Jay has backed himself into a corner, as many have mentioned, is with his tendency to give the world to any football coach who has one good season.

Don't know if it has been mentioned here, I don't go threw much here and stick mostly the the recruiting fourm, but Gus got a huge extension and a huge buyout before the season started. JJ, thinking AU would be 4 and 0, was set to announce this at the SJS game. Don't think he will go public now. The buyout is near 14M right now. FWIW.

Don't know if it has been mentioned here, I don't go threw much here and stick mostly the the recruiting fourm, but Gus got a huge extension and a huge buyout before the season started. JJ, thinking AU would be 4 and 0, was set to announce this at the SJS game. Don't think he will go public now. The buyout is near 14M right now. FWIW.

Surely you don't mean Malzahn's buyout is 14 million dollars.

Surely you don't mean Malzahn's buyout is 14 million dollars.

I do. And it is. Gets better and better don't it.

Ouch

Ouch

Hell it's not JJ's money.

So many arguments in one post.

62778970.jpg

"The mission of the Music & Miracles Superfest is to bring the biggest entertainers in America to one of the most notable venues in the southeast and raise funds for two of the greatest needs of the Auburn community. Proceeds from the concert will be targeted to fighting cancer and feeding the hungry."

http://www.countrymusicislove.com/country-music-news/country-music-tours/kenny-chesney-to-play-first-ever-concert-at-jordan-hare-stadium/

"OUR MISSION

To provide funding to the American Cancer Society to help eliminate cancer as a major health problem, to support local cancer centers, and to provide food for hungry people through support of local food banks and their various programs."

http://www.chickensaladchick.com/foundation

I spent $340 on 4 tix Saturday through AU and literally had the crappiest seats at JHS. I can't imagine what good tix cost. They are gonna lose families coming to the games at this rate.

You have got to be freaking kidding, right?

Why in the world would the AU Board agree to something so freaking ridiculous?

Why can't the AU Administration learn from previous mistakes? What had Gus done the justified a huge extension and a huge buyout? It's not like any other program in college or pro was knocking on his door after systematically finding a way to tank at the end of 2014.

You want stability - a $14M buyout pretty much means nobody is gonna poach our coach for a while!

And based on the stated mission of Miracles and Music, sounds right up AU's support and I imagine they can sell such activities with the jumbotron to show it on. I imagine we'll see more of these type events to help pay for the tron.

2013 - got to the National Championship and hire Bruce Pearl

FANS: We love you JJ. Your the best Athletic Director ever!!!

2015 - Football team gets off to a very slow start and the baseball team fires their coach for cause

FANS: JJ is such an idiot. He needs to be fired immediately.

Auburn fans can be a fickle bunch.

2013 - got to the National Championship and hire Bruce Pearl

FANS: We love you JJ. Your the best Athletic Director ever!!!

2015 - Football team gets off to a very slow start and the baseball team fires their coach for cause

FANS: JJ is such an idiot. He needs to be fired immediately.

Auburn fans can be a fickle bunch.

Agreed. I get being annoyed the team isn't performing how we wanted, but fail to see what the AD has to do with performance. And I think the baseball coach firing is the AD doing his job, esp since it was for cause.

How do you firing the baseball coach was for cause if Jacobs will not talk about it? I've been told Sonny has hired a lawyer and their going after for firing him cause he said he didn't do anything wrong to cause JJ to fire him.

Archived