Al Borges

auburn4ever

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some folks will stick with his, bus Borges is still my favorite coordinator. His quick alignment shifts were hard to stop, and I always found it fascinating that he was a pass first guy but he used the talent that he had. For us, that meant run, run, run, run, pa pass, run.

I really like CAB a great deal. I remember Marcus McNeil, a former offensive tackle standing 6-9 300 plus pounds, saying that Coach Borges reminded him of a blueberry muffin! I remember laughing myself silly over that analogy. I do hope that CAB has a horrible game against our defense, but does a great job the rest of the season.

Borges was at Auburn when we won the 2004 national championship after USC was stripped of it and Reggie Bush had to give up his Heisman.

Borges is a better OC/QB coach than what Lashlee is.

I can agree 100% I remember when coach Borges was having our offense clicking at full force. CAB often considered himself as a "football junkie" He ran an offense much like the West Coast Offense made famous by Bill Walsh, a coach ahead of his time. CAB's offense started to get easier for defenses to figure out during his last few seasons at Auburn. When CTT replaced CAB with CTF (Tony Franklin), we all know what happened. It was almost like when CGC hired Scott Leflor.

Al was a great guy. He went to all of the other AU sporting events. He loved watching AU baseball and eating hotdogs. He got lazy and only put in 6 to 7 hours a day during the football season his last year. I think he got burned out.

Great coordinator....horrible recruiter. Same thing happened at AU that happened at Michigan. He did great for the first couple of years but couldn't sustain that. I figure that means he wasn't good and finding players to run his system.

Michigan was VERY happy to see Borges leave btw

He was the designated scapegoat for all that was wrong at Michigan....and after he was gone, nothing changed for the better.

And prior to that, he was the designate scapegoat at AU...fired so we could bring in Tony Franklin to juice up the offense. That was a big improvement of course.....and less than a season later when Franklin was gone.....who can forget that offensive debacle?

As for his time at AU, his wife was the marketing person who developed the deal with Under Armor that greatly increased AU's national visibility and put some serious money into the athletic coffers.

Al is one of my favorite "former AU coaches"....never said a bad word about the school after he was gone.

IMO, because Tuberville fired him so quick, Tony Franklin did not have enough time to put his offense into action. Who knows, TF could still have become a bust anyway. We'll never really know. BTW, does anyone know where TF is coaching today?

IMO, because Tuberville fired him so quick, Tony Franklin did not have enough time to put his offense into action. Who knows, TF could still have become a bust anyway. We'll never really know. BTW, does anyone know where TF is coaching today?

He is the OC at Cal.

Actually TF's best performance at AU was when he had 8 days before the bowl game to install a new offense. The team looked pretty good in the bowl game and many of us were encouraged that the offense would be much improved the next season.

BUT....Once he was on the staff, he had a spring and fall to set up his offense but Tub's other coaches apparently did not get along with TF who had the same personality as Sunny....and the team suffered from lack of cohesion until TF was fired, cleaned out his desk and was gone. He had some good seasons elsewhere and I have figured that it was AU's fault that he was not successful here. JMO

So...here we are with RL....and perhaps he will just be the next scapegoat at AU for a non-performing offense...or maybe not?

He was the designated scapegoat for all that was wrong at Michigan....and after he was gone, nothing changed for the better.

And prior to that, he was the designate scapegoat at AU...fired so we could bring in Tony Franklin to juice up the offense. That was a big improvement of course.....and less than a season later when Franklin was gone.....who can forget that offensive debacle?

As for his time at AU, his wife was the marketing person who developed the deal with Under Armor that greatly increased AU's national visibility and put some serious money into the athletic coffers.

Al is one of my favorite "former AU coaches"....never said a bad word about the school after he was gone.

I have no problems with Al. Seems to be a good guy and was on top before people figured out the west coast offense. That said, if you're the scapegoat at two places in a row...you're probably not just a scapegoat. Now I'm not saying he can't coach offense at all, but he was not very good from his last year at AU all the way through Michigan and didn't peeform well enough to make someone else the "scapegoat"

I have no problems with Al. Seems to be a good guy and was on top before people figured out the west coast offense. That said, if you're the scapegoat at two places in a row...you're probably not just a scapegoat. Now I'm not saying he can't coach offense at all, but he was not very good from his last year at AU all the way through Michigan and didn't peeform well enough to make someone else the "scapegoat"

not many people in coaching for that long that doesn't get canned at some point. Nobody "figured out" his offense. He simply didn't have weapons to work with. And was on the backside of tuberville recruiting.

He's killing it at Cal..ESPN had a good story on him this summer

not many people in coaching for that long that doesn't get canned at some point. Nobody "figured out" his offense. He simply didn't have weapons to work with. And was on the backside of tuberville recruiting.

Firing Al got Tubs another year or so of coaching at AU....but that was it.

Big contracts these days seem to translate into short stints of employment...people paying big money are quick to pull the trigger when there is any fall off in performance. ....one reason that assistant coaches and coordinators usually have short contracts.

I had high hopes for TF but Tub's BBQ buddies did not like him and reportedly sabotaged him...just the rumors at the time. He seemed to be a quirky character and easy to dislike.

AB was likable and fit the Auburn Family model....but coaches in all sports and at all levels are hired to be fired....just the way it is. It is rarely personal and I guess most coaches take it that way....though Sunny might be the exception.

Archived