Al Borges

auburn4ever

I remember "good" Borges in 2004. I remember "bad" Borges in 2005. I remember "fire" Borges next!

2005? Our offense was (statistically speaking) even better in 2005!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great coordinator....horrible recruiter. Same thing happened at AU that happened at Michigan. He did great for the first couple of years but couldn't sustain that. I figure that means he wasn't good and finding players to run his system.

How quickly we forget. Gorgeous could not recruit.

Great coordinator....horrible recruiter. Same thing happened at AU that happened at Michigan. He did great for the first couple of years but couldn't sustain that. I figure that means he wasn't good and finding players to run his system.

How quickly we forget. Gorgeous could not recruit.

maybe a touch of laziness?

I remember "good" Borges in 2004. I remember "bad" Borges in 2005. I remember "fire" Borges next!

No. It was still good Borges in 2005. We had one of, if not the top offense in the conference. Now, 2006 & 2007 is a different story. When you lose Obamanu, Aromashodu & Mix, you tend to struggle in the passing game.

Was the 3-2 win over MSU on Coach T Franklin's watch? I think that Moonshadow saw his moment of inspiration with that score, and to this day, he proudly displays this score each and every week. I would love to see a 4-2 Auburn win over bammer!

Was the 3-2 win over MSU on Coach T Franklin's watch? I think that Moonshadow saw his moment of inspiration with that score, and to this day, he proudly displays this score each and every week. I would love to see a 4-2 Auburn win over bammer!

Yep. That was TF.

Yep. That was TF.

Would love to hold a team to 2 points again.

3-2 is such a funny score but I would've loved to see 3-0 because of how the D played that night. They deserved the shutout, but I believe the safety was a holding call in the endzone which gave Miss St the 2 points. Lol our offense was so bad it was scoring for the other team

Lol he definitely always looked like he had just downed a bottle of scotch.

Lol AUJeff11 why do you have that Tray Mathews missed tackle in your sig??

Lol he definitely always looked like he had just downed a bottle of scotch.

Lol AUJeff11 why do you have that Tray Mathews missed tackle in your sig??

I am proud of our great tackling technique.

There is a lot of rumor mongering stuff, running down people personally in this thread. Or at least one person in particular. Let's not go there.

"Bad Borges" wasn't until 2006. We actually had about the same offensive stats in 2005 as in 2004, even with a new starting QB, and losing Ronnie and Caddy.

http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100215aaa.html

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - Al Borges jokes no one has time to listen to all the jobs on his coaching resume.

He's been offensive coordinator at California, Portland State Boise State, Oregon, UCLA, Indiana, San Diego State, Michigan, San Jose State - and Auburn.

Ah, Auburn.

"When I think of Auburn, I think of nothing but plus," said Borges, Auburn's offensive coordinator from 2004-07. "My four years coaching there, I wouldn't trade anything for it."

Borges will return Saturday, as offensive coordinator at San Jose State, in Auburn's 3 p.m. homecoming game in Jordan-Hare Stadium that will be televised by the SEC Network.

Borges was on Tommy Tuberville's staff and helped the Tigers, to a 13-0 record in 2004. He coached with past, and now present, Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp in the 2006-07 seasons.

"I think the Auburn fans and the media remember what his presence did to Jason Campbell," says San Jose State coach Ron Caragher. "Jason Campbell, under Al's guidance, had an outstanding senior year. They were undefeated. Al had a big part of that. Everywhere he's gone he's done an outstanding job."

Borges, born in California and coached just about everywhere, says he has fond memories of his Auburn experience.

"What made my job so good really to me was the Auburn fans. The Auburn fans were awesome. They didn't always like me, because I'm an offensive coordinator; there's always times they're not going to like me, but they were always respectful and good to me and they were always — I don’t know, I always had just a great feeling about Auburn football and Auburn people. I’m going to tell you something, and this is an honest assessment, when I was 20-something years old, I would never thought I would want to live in Alabama or would live in Alabama, but after my five years I lived in Alabama, it was awesome. I loved living in Alabama and I wouldn't mind living in Alabama again.

"It's just amazing that you go through an experience, you learn a lot of stuff. You learn a lot of stuff about yourself that you didn’t know, even — I'd been coaching a long time when I went to Auburn, and it was really neat. It's good for me to come back.

"We're going to go in there, we're going to play and we're going to leave. It would be nice if there was more time and I could see some people, but I am looking forward to it. The game will be fun and we'll see what we can do."

Borges got Auburn right away.

"Some of my favorite memories are beating Alabama, that's probably the greatest deal," he said. "My four years there we were fortunate to win every year, and that makes your life so much easier if you live in Alabama. That's No. 1, first through fourth. Some years we played really good against them, some years we didn’t and still won, and that’s really the bottom line in that thing.

"I've been part of the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry for three years. I’ve been in the big ones now. UCLA-USC, Michigan-Ohio State, Auburn-Alabama — but that one is special and those are the ones that — if there’s a special memory, that would be it."

Borges remembers his time with Muschamp on the practice field this way:

"We were not near as good on offense as we were my first two years and we were good on defense. We would run this two-minute drill at the end of practice and the defense would inevitably kick our butt and I would inevitably get mad, because I do that. Will would go, 'OK, it's time for the Al Borges drill.' He knew when the drill was over, I was going to be mad. That I do remember. I remember it like it was yesterday."

Now, he'll face Muschamp on Saturday.

"Some things look a little different, but not too much. That sic 'em mentality is still pretty well intact."

http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100215aaa.html

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - Al Borges jokes no one has time to listen to all the jobs on his coaching resume.

He's been offensive coordinator at California, Portland State Boise State, Oregon, UCLA, Indiana, San Diego State, Michigan, San Jose State - and Auburn.

Ah, Auburn.

"When I think of Auburn, I think of nothing but plus," said Borges, Auburn's offensive coordinator from 2004-07. "My four years coaching there, I wouldn't trade anything for it."

Borges will return Saturday, as offensive coordinator at San Jose State, in Auburn's 3 p.m. homecoming game in Jordan-Hare Stadium that will be televised by the SEC Network.

Borges was on Tommy Tuberville's staff and helped the Tigers, to a 13-0 record in 2004. He coached with past, and now present, Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp in the 2006-07 seasons.

"I think the Auburn fans and the media remember what his presence did to Jason Campbell," says San Jose State coach Ron Caragher. "Jason Campbell, under Al's guidance, had an outstanding senior year. They were undefeated. Al had a big part of that. Everywhere he's gone he's done an outstanding job."

Borges, born in California and coached just about everywhere, says he has fond memories of his Auburn experience.

"What made my job so good really to me was the Auburn fans. The Auburn fans were awesome. They didn't always like me, because I'm an offensive coordinator; there's always times they're not going to like me, but they were always respectful and good to me and they were always — I don’t know, I always had just a great feeling about Auburn football and Auburn people. I’m going to tell you something, and this is an honest assessment, when I was 20-something years old, I would never thought I would want to live in Alabama or would live in Alabama, but after my five years I lived in Alabama, it was awesome. I loved living in Alabama and I wouldn't mind living in Alabama again.

"It's just amazing that you go through an experience, you learn a lot of stuff. You learn a lot of stuff about yourself that you didn’t know, even — I'd been coaching a long time when I went to Auburn, and it was really neat. It's good for me to come back.

"We're going to go in there, we're going to play and we're going to leave. It would be nice if there was more time and I could see some people, but I am looking forward to it. The game will be fun and we'll see what we can do."

Borges got Auburn right away.

"Some of my favorite memories are beating Alabama, that's probably the greatest deal," he said. "My four years there we were fortunate to win every year, and that makes your life so much easier if you live in Alabama. That's No. 1, first through fourth. Some years we played really good against them, some years we didn’t and still won, and that’s really the bottom line in that thing.

"I've been part of the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry for three years. I’ve been in the big ones now. UCLA-USC, Michigan-Ohio State, Auburn-Alabama — but that one is special and those are the ones that — if there’s a special memory, that would be it."

Borges remembers his time with Muschamp on the practice field this way:

"We were not near as good on offense as we were my first two years and we were good on defense. We would run this two-minute drill at the end of practice and the defense would inevitably kick our butt and I would inevitably get mad, because I do that. Will would go, 'OK, it's time for the Al Borges drill.' He knew when the drill was over, I was going to be mad. That I do remember. I remember it like it was yesterday."

Now, he'll face Muschamp on Saturday.

"Some things look a little different, but not too much. That sic 'em mentality is still pretty well intact."

always liked Al.

So did I. Wish Al was our OC/QB coach.

Why? Al Borges as an OC has been the same throughout his coaching career....A couple of very good years (two great ones in 2004 and 2005) followed by a consistent decline. Heck, Lashlee, (if you believe he is truly our OC) had a comparable 1st two years as Borges.

wde

Why? Al Borges as an OC has been the same throughout his coaching career....A couple of very good years (two great ones in 2004 and 2005) followed by a consistent decline. Heck, Lashlee, (if you believe he is truly our OC) had a comparable 1st two years as Borges.

wde

Don't even question his logic.

wde

Don't even question his logic.

I would say don't ever question his logic.

Very imaginative play calling by Al. He called a much better game than our staff did.

For everyone who wants to dog Ab, he out performed BOTH of our offensive coordinators today

Maybe but he definitely out-performed his old friend Muschamp..........picked his defense apart and with a little better QB they could have won the game IMO.

Archived