Auburn signs 10 year deal with Under Armour

TitanTiger

• Auburn has signed an extension with Under Armour.
  • A 9-year contract through 2025.
  • Total value is $78.1 million ($8.68 annually).
    • Base compensation (cash): $22.5 million
    • Product: $40.5 million (annual product increase from $2.5M to $4M)
    • Stock: $10 million
    • Royalties: $4.5 million
    • Marketing: $675,000

[*]This contract is a Top 5 deal nationally, which certainly says something about the Auburn brand.

[*]Jay Jacobs really went to bat for the Olympic sports in this deal. He wanted to make sure that all the sports had equal access to world-class products.

http://www.auburntig.../100115aaa.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For reference ...

Top annual college athletic apparel contracts

• Michigan (Nike): $11.1 million
  • Notre Dame (Under Armour): $9.0 million
  • Auburn (Under Armour): $8.68 million
  • Louisville (Adidas) $7.8 million
  • UCLA (Adidas): $7.5 million
  • Texas (Nike): $6.4 million
  • Kansas (Adidas): $6.375 million
  • Florida State (Nike): $4.4 million
  • Maryland (Under Armour): $4.3 million
  • Arizona State (Adidas): $4.225 million
  • LSU (Nike): $4.2 million

I think this was the best of all scenarios. We just got a fat chunk of money, we are clearly one of Under Armour's flagship brands (as opposed to just being one of many with Nike), we avoided the hideous stuff adidas does to football jerseys, and it's becoming clear that Bruce Pearl isn't the least bit hindered by not being a Nike or adidas school.

I'm not wearing any of the equipment, so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally wish we would've switched to Nike. It feels to me like they put so much more effort into making each of their schools uniforms unique, either through a custom font (eg Tennessee) or subtle detail that you have to know is there to get (eg Wake Forrest)

I think this was the best of all scenarios. We just got a fat chunk of money, we are clearly one of Under Armour's flagship brands (as opposed to just being one of many with Nike), we avoided the hideous stuff adidas does to football jerseys, and it's becoming clear that Bruce Pearl isn't the least bit hindered by not being a Nike or adidas school.

What's sad is here in Kansas City, where Gear for Sports is headquartered, you would barely know that Auburn is one of Under Armour's teams. They have a "seconds" sale at a local trade-center, every year, and finding anything Auburn, among the piles of other schools, is nearly impossible. Back when we were among their first teams, I could update my Auburn wardrobe annually just at that event.

It would be nice if the marketing went both ways.

I'm not wearing any of the equipment, so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally wish we would've switched to Nike. It feels to me like they put so much more effort into making each of their schools uniforms unique, either through a custom font (eg Tennessee) or subtle detail that you have to know is there to get (eg Wake Forrest)

Did you miss the orange shoes? JMO but that's about as unique as we need.

And as someone noted last week about Oregon, those "alternative" uniforms ain't so cool when you are being beat by six touchdowns on your home field.

Eh. They put out some hideous "Pro Combat" unis for schools willing to ugly it up. We were never going to do that so there's not really anything Nike could do to make our uniforms "unique" in that regard.

Plus, there's no way on God's green earth Nike would give us this much money. We are way better off with Under Armour.

Look no further than Maryland to see what Under Armour can do to ugly up a uniform. Compare that to our "ugly shoes" and then one can begin to complain.

I don't care one way or another who our sponsorship is with.

Look no further than Maryland to see what Under Armour can do to ugly up a uniform. Compare that to our "ugly shoes" and then one can begin to complain.

True....all of those companies have equal ability to "ugly-up" a school's uniforms if the school lets them. Worse still is that the CEO of Under Armour is a Maryland alum.

True....all of those companies have equal ability to "ugly-up" a school's uniforms if the school lets them. Worse still is that the CEO of Under Armour is a Maryland alum.

Some people actually liked it. I wasn't one of them lol. but I remember when they had that half and half type of uniform looking on social media there was quite the group that liked it

I'm thrilled Under Armour is giving AU tons of $ and apparel but I'm tired of the gear they release to the public. The prices are exorbitant and it looks like it was designed by Ed Hardy or Affliction (no offense Loof).

I'm thrilled Under Armour is giving AU tons of $ and apparel but I'm tired of the gear they release to the public. The prices are exorbitant and it looks like it was designed by Ed Hardy or Affliction (no offense Loof).

Agree on the pricing but I think that all of the collegiate sportswear is exorbitantly prices......so I do my shopping for stuff like that at Hammricks....but as for style, I guess they produce what they think will sell.

I have a couple Under Armour shirts I wear for golf.....very nicely made, fade resistant....maybe the best quality shirts I've run across. Hope AU continues to make good money off the program.

Agree on the pricing but I think that all of the collegiate sportswear is exorbitantly prices......so I do my shopping for stuff like that at Hammricks....but as for style, I guess they produce what they think will sell.

I have a couple Under Armour shirts I wear for golf.....very nicely made, fade resistant....maybe the best quality shirts I've run across. Hope AU continues to make good money off the program.

The collared shirts are good quality (still think Nike is slightly better) and have ok designs. The t-shirts, shorts and hats are comical.

And as someone noted last week about Oregon, those "alternative" uniforms ain't so cool when you are being beat by six touchdowns on your home field.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I don't care about the Nike "flash". I don't want us to have neon-everything (or anything for that matter), but that doesn't mean that we can't have some unique design elements in our uniforms, even if they're subtle. For example, when re-designing Wake Forest's uniforms, the font they used had a major angle (larger) and a minor angle (smaller). The major angle was 34 degrees, and the minor angle was 18 degrees. While these seem arbitrary, it was actually a subtle design cue, as Wake was founded in 1834.

A second one was the design on the sleeves of the jersey, seen here:

Wake-Forest-3103f-jpg.jpg

While this appears to be simply a flashy design, it is actually a design integrated into the uniforms from an alternate Wake Forest logo:

WFU_Univ_V_Gold_RGB.jpg

These kinds of design cue's aren't flashy, they aren't about having a shock-and-awe effect, but they are signs that Nike didn't just take their base uniform and put different colors on it, they spent time researching the university and coming up with a uniform design that is unique to Wake and very good looking.

Eh. They put out some hideous "Pro Combat" unis for schools willing to ugly it up. We were never going to do that so there's not really anything Nike could do to make our uniforms "unique" in that regard.

Plus, there's no way on God's green earth Nike would give us this much money. We are way better off with Under Armour.

See my post above. There are TONS of things that Nike could do to make our uniforms unique. Could Under Armour do it too? Yes, of course they could. But I think that it is MUCH more likely that Nike does, simply because they've done it in the past. The closest that Under Armour has come to making our uniforms unique was the "tramp stamp" back in 2011, but even then, they used the same style of "uniqueness" for us, SCAR, Texas Tech, and a multitude of other schools.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I don't care about the Nike "flash". I don't want us to have neon-everything (or anything for that matter), but that doesn't mean that we can't have some unique design elements in our uniforms, even if they're subtle. For example, when re-designing Wake Forest's uniforms, the font they used had a major angle (larger) and a minor angle (smaller). The major angle was 34 degrees, and the minor angle was 18 degrees. While these seem arbitrary, it was actually a subtle design cue, as Wake was founded in 1834.

A second one was the design on the sleeves of the jersey, seen here:

Wake-Forest-3103f-jpg.jpg

While this appears to be simply a flashy design, it is actually a design integrated into the uniforms from an alternate Wake Forest logo:

WFU_Univ_V_Gold_RGB.jpg

These kinds of design cue's aren't flashy, they aren't about having a shock-and-awe effect, but they are signs that Nike didn't just take their base uniform and put different colors on it, they spent time researching the university and coming up with a uniform design that is unique to Wake and very good looking.

See my post above. There are TONS of things that Nike could do to make our uniforms unique. Could Under Armour do it too? Yes, of course they could. But I think that it is MUCH more likely that Nike does, simply because they've done it in the past. The closest that Under Armour has come to making our uniforms unique was the "tramp stamp" back in 2011, but even then, they used the same style of "uniqueness" for us, SCAR, Texas Tech, and a multitude of other schools.

I do like the WF helmets...unis are OK. As for AU, just a guess but I would not be surprised if JJ just said to Under Armour, don't spend a lot of creative time on new uniforms for us 'cause the old fogies in our fan base (an PTB) will never go for it.

People still wear Affliction?? Thought that went out with tribal tattoos and wallet chains. :)

People still wear Affliction?? Thought that went out with tribal tattoos and wallet chains. :)/>

I imagine UFC bros are keeping all of those things alive and well.

People still wear Affliction?? Thought that went out with tribal tattoos and wallet chains. :)/>

correction: wannabe UFC bros

correction: wannabe UFC bros

UFC fanbros?

Archived