AU Women's Soccer vs. UA

wareagleguy

Tied 1-1 in 2nd, our Lady Tigers aren't getting as many shots on goal in the 2nd as in the 1st.

Let's go AU! WDE!

Thought with the wind AU would have to just hold on for a tie in the second OT, but a brilliant pass and header to win it was a thin of beauty. Something special brewing for this team.

It's things like this that make the SEC network worth while. I thought we got out-hustled for much of the second half but picked it back up in overtime.

I'm an Auburn fan but not any sort of soccer junkie. Question: The announcers kept talking about the "big field" at UAT. Are soccer fields not a standard size? Are they like baseball fields where the fence is where the home team decides to put it?

Great win! This team has a flair for the dramatic! That's 3 "walkoff" wins in a row! 11-1! Hope they keep this up. War Eagle, ladies!

It's things like this that make the SEC network worth while. I thought we got out-hustled for much of the second half but picked it back up in overtime.

I'm an Auburn fan but not any sort of soccer junkie. Question: The announcers kept talking about the "big field" at UAT. Are soccer fields not a standard size? Are they like baseball fields where the fence is where the home team decides to put it?

Goal lines can be between 45 and 90 yards and the touchlines 100-130 yards. Professionals usually play at 115 x 74,

Strong winds in soccer can make you look like you get out-hustled and tire you out faster also. So probably a mixture of the two. Going against the wind you can't let the ball do as much work, forcing the player to work harder on the offensive side than normal. Does stuff like slows down your counters and increases the speed of opponents counters, which sucks for midfielders and losing control of the midfield will definitely make you look outworked.

Goal lines can be between 45 and 90 yards and the touchlines 100-130 yards. Professionals usually play at 115 x 74,

Strong winds in soccer can make you look like you get out-hustled and tire you out faster also. So probably a mixture of the two. Going against the wind you can't let the ball do as much work, forcing the player to work harder on the offensive side than normal. Does stuff like slows down your counters and increases the speed of opponents counters, which sucks for midfielders and losing control of the midfield will definitely make you look outworked.

Thanks for the info. It's odd to me that the fields at different places may have different dimensions, but as I said I'm not knowledgeable about soccer.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/rules/fielddiagrams/soccer.pdf

Nope, dimensions can't vary that much. A reason variation is permitted in soccer is because (unlike football) the point of the game isn't as focused on simply gaining yardage. Having said that, a team running the old 4-2-4 wants as wide a field as possible to help the wings run onto those passes to the corner flag. You want odd, why are baseball outfield fence distances not uniform?

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...rams/soccer.pdf

Nope, dimensions can't vary that much. A reason variation is permitted in soccer is because (unlike football) the point of the game isn't as focused on simply gaining yardage. Having said that, a team running the old 4-2-4 wants as wide a field as possible to help the wings run onto those passes to the corner flag. You want odd, why are baseball outfield fence distances not uniform?

Sorry I used meters in the width:

Dimensions

The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length (touch line):

• minimum 90 m (100 yds)
  • maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width (goal line):

• minimum 45 m (50 yds)
  • maximum 90 m (100 yds)

All lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 12 cm (5 ins).

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play#EjyCmSK8gp0gAkv0.99'>http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play#EjyCmSK8gp0gAkv0.99

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play

I also used FIFA's Laws of the Game for 2015/2016 to confirm. See page 7

http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/FootballDevelopment/Refereeing/02/36/01/11/LawsofthegamewebEN_Neutral.pdf

I was unaware that the NCAA had decided to set its own standards. When I played club, ODP, and college the majority of the fields were set by the maximum FIFA International Standards, also listed on page 7. High School and JR high the fields varied more cause those were usually played on converted football fields.

Alabama doesn't list the size of its field on their website. Though it is interesting that they would think the field size had something to do with Auburn as our field is listed as 120 x 78. So two yards shy of the NCAA max,

http://www.auburntigers.com/facilities/aub-10-soccer.html

I actually think the varies field sizes adds some additional interest to the game. My kids' home club field is big and tur ... When it is hot and they play possession soccer, the other teams can be left ragged.

Dimensions

Length (touch line):

• minimum 90 m (100 yds)

Width (goal line):

• minimum 45 m (50 yds)
  • maximum 90 m (100 yds)

Read more at http://www.thefa.com...mSK8gp0gAkv0.99

http://www.thefa.com...e-field-of-play

http://www.fifa.com/...bEN_Neutral.pdf

I was unaware that the NCAA had decided to set its own standards. When I played club, ODP, and college the majority of the fields were set by the maximum FIFA International Standards, also listed on page 7. High School and JR high the fields varied more cause those were usually played on converted football fields.

Alabama doesn't list the size of its field on their website. Though it is interesting that they would think the field size had something to do with Auburn as our field is listed as 120 x 78. So two yards shy of the NCAA max,

http://www.auburntig...-10-soccer.html

Just to note that bama did a lot more substituting that did AU....might have made a difference later in the game.....particularly in the second half the bama players looked fresher. None the less, any win on the road is great....especially against bama.

Dimensions

Length (touch line):

• minimum 90 m (100 yds)

Width (goal line):

• minimum 45 m (50 yds)
  • maximum 90 m (100 yds)

Read more at http://www.thefa.com...mSK8gp0gAkv0.99

http://www.thefa.com...e-field-of-play

http://www.fifa.com/...bEN_Neutral.pdf

http://www.auburntig...-10-soccer.html

Just to note that bama did a lot more substituting that did AU....might have made a difference later in the game.....particularly in the second half the bama players looked fresher. None the less, any win on the road is great....especially against bama.

Could have. I was just speaking of my experience with windy games which I was involved in often having played mostly in Texas and Oklahoma.

As a former college player & FIFA level 5 ref with 30+ years experience, IMO the NCAA (like many state high school athletic associations) flexes it's muscles by requiring differences from international age & skill-related rules & dimensions seemingly just to be different. Talking soccer rules with some of these high level administrators is like talking about the 25 years between Bear & Saban with a Bammer. Klinsmann is trying to get the US potpourri of rules unified for development purposes but if we get tanked badly by El Tri this Saturday night 'ole Jurgen might be history.

As a former college player & FIFA level 5 ref with 30+ years experience, IMO the NCAA (like many state high school athletic associations) flexes it's muscles by requiring differences from international age & skill-related rules & dimensions seemingly just to be different. Talking soccer rules with some of these high level administrators is like talking about the 25 years between Bear & Saban with a Bammer. Klinsmann is trying to get the US potpourri of rules unified for development purposes but if we get tanked badly by El Tri this Saturday night 'ole Jurgen might be history.

Interesting on Klinsman, I thought he was doing the USMNT some good. Some of his team sheet decisons have been questionable (when will he give Altidore the boot?), but it seems like US soccer is on the up trend (Gold Cup not withstanding). The friendly vs. Brazil was a bit of a mess, but the US doesn't grow players like they do. It's going to take while before good athletes start giving soccer a hard look and sticking with it. I believe that day is coming, with football having to make so many safety changes and the lack of interest youth have in baseball. Basketball is still pretty strong, but I see soccer becoming a big three in the next 10 years in the US. Of course the MLS is going to have to get WAY better if it's going to garner real interest so that big 3 thing might be a pipe dream.

As for the NCAA, they need to get on board with the international rules, starting with the clock (count up and have extra time) and substitutions. Free subbing in the second half has to go. Go with 4 subs total if you want to be different. I'm not sure what other differences there are, but the game needs to be the same on all levels.

Interesting on Klinsman, I thought he was doing the USMNT some good. Some of his team sheet decisons have been questionable (when will he give Altidore the boot?), but it seems like US soccer is on the up trend (Gold Cup not withstanding). The friendly vs. Brazil was a bit of a mess, but the US doesn't grow players like they do. It's going to take while before good athletes start giving soccer a hard look and sticking with it. I believe that day is coming, with football having to make so many safety changes and the lack of interest youth have in baseball. Basketball is still pretty strong, but I see soccer becoming a big three in the next 10 years in the US. Of course the MLS is going to have to get WAY better if it's going to garner real interest so that big 3 thing might be a pipe dream.

As for the NCAA, they need to get on board with the international rules, starting with the clock (count up and have extra time) and substitutions. Free subbing in the second half has to go. Go with 4 subs total if you want to be different. I'm not sure what other differences there are, but the game needs to be the same on all levels.

Guess I'm not so sure about that....many other sports have differences in field size, placement of the ball, length of the game....stuff that relates to the age of the participants. Not sure where you draw the line but there is definitely a difference in high school, college and professional soccer in terms of the time the athletes are able to devote to the game as well as their maturity and physical strength.

Standard field sizes for the NCAA (if that's not already the rule) should established but otherwise, I prefer the "certain clock" in college as opposed to the unknown amount of time left on the clock as the end of professional soccer matches and I'm good with the substitution rules....to get the younger players into games as part of their development. .

And PS...all I know about soccer is from watching it from time to time and having kids who played as youth....so my comments don't have a lot of foundation I guess....

I'd prefer they at least drop the ability to sub back in for the second half. The RPL games the youth leagues play have a one sub per half, which I think is appropriate for their athletic ability.

The college age girls can handle longer stints but may be hard pressed to go a full 90 although many do.

I think a reduction in the free flow of subs might create a better possession and build up style of play. Some of the college game is very "American". Kick it long and go for it or set pieces. My kids' club team has more sophistication than the college games I watch, but definitely not the athleticism.

IMHO the most technical player on auburns team is leek ... Guess where she grew up playing soccer ... (Psssst, they don't call it soccer)

I'd prefer they at least drop the ability to sub back in for the second half. The RPL games the youth leagues play have a one sub per half, which I think is appropriate for their athletic ability.

The college age girls can handle longer stints but may be hard pressed to go a full 90 although many do.

I think a reduction in the free flow of subs might create a better possession and build up style of play. Some of the college game is very "American". Kick it long and go for it or set pieces. My kids' club team has more sophistication than the college games I watch, but definitely not the athleticism.

IMHO the most technical player on auburns team is leek ... Guess where she grew up playing soccer ... (Psssst, they don't call it soccer)

True....I guess the women and men play on the same field but seems that with the large field, the college girls either run themselves out of energy or else they "coast" for periods to maintain their energy level. AU plays pretty tough defense and just every now and then makes a big push to get a score. In the bama game, the tide substituted liberally and by the end of the game they definitely had more energy....the AU goalie made a couple fantastic saves.....AU could have pretty easily lost the game. I think if the teams had more fresh players the offensive action would be more constant....just a thought?

A friend in town has a grand daughter/ God daughter on the AU team and we are going down to Columbia on Thur (if they play ...it's still in doubt) to watch her play....she's from California...freshman and mostly subs...which I guess is why I would like to see more of the subs. She has been a starter on two national championship teams U15, U16 and then in the finals this year. We are hoping she does well at AU.

True....I guess the women and men play on the same field but seems that with the large field, the college girls either run themselves out of energy or else they "coast" for periods to maintain their energy level. AU plays pretty tough defense and just every now and then makes a big push to get a score. In the bama game, the tide substituted liberally and by the end of the game they definitely had more energy....the AU goalie made a couple fantastic saves.....AU could have pretty easily lost the game. I think if the teams had more fresh players the offensive action would be more constant....just a thought?

A friend in town has a grand daughter/ God daughter on the AU team and we are going down to Columbia on Thur (if they play ...it's still in doubt) to watch her play....she's from California...freshman and mostly subs...which I guess is why I would like to see more of the subs. She has been a starter on two national championship teams U15, U16 and then in the finals this year. We are hoping she does well at AU.

Guys teams coast also. My club coach would conserve our energy at time periods of the game by wanting to have touch limitations. 5 touches and distribute the ball. Thus letting the ball do the work and not the player while still making the opposing player work from a defensive stand point.

The game is all about reading it as it goes. Sometimes you push, sometimes you lay back... depending on what the field looks like at that moment.

Archived