What is the Auburn Problem?

Weegle777

We have a HC who is best suited to be an OC. We need a competent AD to hire a good HC.

wde

Smh. You want Gus being our OC???? He is literally the worst play caller in the SEC. His "system" is ineffective and complete joke to be honest. Horrible player development on top of absolutely pitiful play calling results in close games vs JSU and SJS, and losing every SEC game!

Damn, I guess Sammie, Gabe, Alonzo, and a few others just coached themselves up....

Wow, 3 players outta the last 5 years. That's some top notch player development!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 0 player development...our best players are transfers that were coached up by other staffs.

Story of Gus' (head coaching) career!

We have a HC who is best suited to be an OC. We need a competent AD to hire a good HC.

wde

Smh. You want Gus being our OC???? He is literally the worst play caller in the SEC. His "system" is ineffective and complete joke to be honest. Horrible player development on top of absolutely pitiful play calling results in close games vs JSU and SJS, and losing every SEC game!

Damn, I guess Sammie, Gabe, Alonzo, and a few others just coached themselves up....

Wow, 3 players outta the last 5 years. That's some top notch player development!

There were others I just did not name them.....if you had such great solutions you would probably be getting paid to coach. First Chiz could not develop players, yet Gus takes Chiz undeveloped players to BCS title, now Gus can't develop players, man all this whining confuses me....I guess AU players just fiddle faddle there way to the league...

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

wde

Looks that way ...

who is alonzo?

wde

There were others I just did not name them.....if you had such great solutions you would probably be getting paid to coach. First Chiz could not develop players, yet Gus takes Chiz undeveloped players to BCS title, now Gus can't develop players, man all this whining confuses me....I guess AU players just fiddle faddle there way to the league...

Agreed Chizik couldn't develop players either. We have averaged a top 10 recruiting class over the last 5+ years, yet we have zero competive sustainment and squeak in a few drafts picks here and there.... Well if getting lucky with a few Juco guys and then driving a program into the ground is the goal for AU football then yeah, im pretty sure I could do that.

wde

Agreed Chizik couldn't develop players either. We have averaged a top 10 recruiting class over the last 5+ years, yet we have zero competive sustainment and squeak in a few drafts picks here and there.... Well if getting lucky with a few Juco guys and then driving a program into the ground is the goal for AU football then yeah, im pretty sure I could do that.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Listen up kids because I know the problem.Our problem is that most of our four and five star players play like two star players with tails between their legs

If you want the solution, well you're not very bright. Jk....but not really

A lot of our top ranked players aren't playing at all, as in they aren't on the field, and we don't have as many as some people think to begin with. We are not a uat or a UGA in recruiting, not close. Our two 5 star RBs are both nursing injuries. Frost was an athlete who never turned into a great LB. Our stud DE is in his second season of injured reserve. Who are our other greats? Duke has never been a great hands or a speed guy, just a big body. When I watch uat play (not often) I recognize two thirds of the names on the field from following recruiting. UGA is similar. We *should* be really good on the OL based on recruiting, but I can't really name another position where we have recruited at that level, ESPN after the injury bugs. All that said, most of these guys just aren't competing, either.

Offensively:

Shon Coleman five star

Alex Kozan three star

Austin Golsom four star

Braden smith five star

Avery young five star

Qb- Jeremy Johnson 4-5 star (depending on recruiting service), Sean White (3-4 star depending on recruiting service)

Rb- barber 3 star, Thomas 4-5 star, Robinson5 star, Johnson 4 star

Wr- Louis 4 star, Ray 4 star, Williams 5 star, Davis 3 star

Te/Hb- cox 4 star and no. 1 fullback, Harris 3 star, pettaway 3 star that was assumed to be a tailback by recruiting services

Listen up kids because I know the problem.Our problem is that most of our four and five star players play like two star players with tails between their legs

A lot of our top ranked players aren't playing at all, as in they aren't on the field, and we don't have as many as some people think to begin with. We are not a uat or a UGA in recruiting, not close. Our two 5 star RBs are both nursing injuries. Frost was an athlete who never turned into a great LB. Our stud DE is in his second season of injured reserve. Who are our other greats? Duke has never been a great hands or a speed guy, just a big body. When I watch uat play (not often) I recognize two thirds of the names on the field from following recruiting. UGA is similar. We *should* be really good on the OL based on recruiting, but I can't really name another position where we have recruited at that level, ESPN after the injury bugs. All that said, most of these guys just aren't competing, either.

Offensively:

Shon Coleman five star

Alex Kozan three star

Austin Golsom four star

Braden smith five star

Avery young five star

Qb- Jeremy Johnson 4-5 star (depending on recruiting service), Sean White (3-4 star depending on recruiting service)

Te/Hb- cox 4 star and no. 1 fullback, Harris 3 star, pettaway 3 star that was assumed to be a tailback by recruiting services

Kozan was a 4 star...but yeah, the point I'm assuming you are making is that we have top notch "talent" and a coach that has no clue how to use it like every other coach in the SEC.

Offensively:

Shon Coleman five star

Alex Kozan three star

Austin Golsom four star

Braden smith five star

Avery young five star

Kozan was a 4 star...but yeah, the point I'm assuming you are making is that we have top notch "talent" and a coach that has no clue how to use it like even other coach in the SEC.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=SEC

I'm not sure what happened to the last post. I do know that it is absurd to think we don't have many four or five stars.

Defense:

Lambert 4 star

Russell- 4 star

Adams- 5 star and top DL in his class

Cowart- five star and no. 1 prospect overall

Frost- 5 star

McKinzy-4 star

Tre Williams-5 star

Garrett- 4 star

Countess-4 star

Ford-former tailback converted to S

Matthews-4 star

Jones-3 star

Where is this talent gap?

Offensively:

Shon Coleman five star

Alex Kozan three star

Austin Golsom four star

Braden smith five star

Avery young five star

Kozan was a 4 star...but yeah, the point I'm assuming you are making is that we have top notch "talent" and a coach that has no clue how to use it like even other coach in the SEC.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=SEC

Wow!!!!!!! My point exactly! As Gus has stated that he's a "high school coach" and I think he's exactly right and that's where he belongs. He has 0 ability to run and maintain a SEC program.

Defense:

Lambert 4 star

Russell- 4 star

Adams- 5 star and top DL in his class

Cowart- five star and no. 1 prospect overall

Frost- 5 star

McKinzy-4 star

Tre Williams-5 star

Garrett- 4 star

Countess-4 star

Ford-former tailback converted to S

Matthews-4 star

Jones-3 star

Where is this talent gap?

Talent gap, there is none. Coaching gap and player development ...

It seems to me these recruits can run fast and jump high, but very little attention is given to attitude and heart. It would also be interesting to know what bill of goods they were sold during the process. Maybe we should offer more players based on heart and attitude that bleed orange and blue. Tubby did this, redshirted them, and by the time they were 4th year juniors, they would usually put it on 5 star freshman. I still have real concerns about earned playing time. PB started the year as 3rd team RB?!?!? That is only one of many on both sides of the ball. NOTHING will promote poor attitudes like not playing the best players! Most all players only want a fair shake.

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Not necessarily. He's had success with passing quarterbacks in the past. I will say that it is important to have consistent play of some kind from the quarterback. The qb cannot be a weakness. Even Chris Todd was consistent enough to keep the chains moving.

How many games did we win with Chris Todd?? 8?? Is that where you want to be?? Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Sure he's had success with passing QB's in the past....at Tulsa. This isn't the mountain west. This offense is MOST effective with QBs who can run and make plays with their legs. Period.

I would take EIGHT wins this year and smile. smh

We have 0 player development...our best players are transfers that were coached up by other staffs.

But we said the same exact thing about Chziks AU teams. Why is it still a freaking problem, with a whole new staff?

wde

Hasn't it been established that Gus is not the play caller this year?

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Not necessarily. He's had success with passing quarterbacks in the past. I will say that it is important to have consistent play of some kind from the quarterback. The qb cannot be a weakness. Even Chris Todd was consistent enough to keep the chains moving.

How many games did we win with Chris Todd?? 8?? Is that where you want to be?? Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Sure he's had success with passing QB's in the past....at Tulsa. This isn't the mountain west. This offense is MOST effective with QBs who can run and make plays with their legs. Period.

I would take EIGHT wins this year and smile. smh

So would I, but I'm not optimistic it'll happen. This team peaked the first series of the year on both offense and defense

It seems to me these recruits can run fast and jump high, but very little attention is given to attitude and heart. It would also be interesting to know what bill of goods they were sold during the process. Maybe we should offer more players based on heart and attitude that bleed orange and blue. Tubby did this, redshirted them, and by the time they were 4th year juniors, they would usually put it on 5 star freshman. I still have real concerns about earned playing time. PB started the year as 3rd team RB?!?!? That is only one of many on both sides of the ball. NOTHING will promote poor attitudes like not playing the best players! Most all players only want a fair shake.

Heart and attitude only go so far. There's no way LSU, uat, FL, Ole Miss' young players have more heart and a better attitude the our young players.

We can't stop the run or the pass. On 3rd or 4th and long, teams have no problems getting out of trouble and getting 1st downs and TD's.

But we said the same exact thing about Chziks AU teams. Why is it still a freaking problem, with a whole new staff?

I have 0 clue, but when you are putting together some of the nations best recruiting classes year and year out and you are putting minimal players in the draft and having 0 consistentcy with respect to wins and losses, then yea......its coaching. Chizik was trash and Gus is going down the EXACT same road.

Archived