What is the Auburn Problem?

Weegle777

There is something wrong. And I really don't know if it has anything to do with Gus or the staff. It is an ongoing issue no matter the coach. Auburn is a rollercoaster team and pretty much always has been.

One great year.

One okay year.

One crappy year.

Rinse and repeat.

Why no consistency? Auburn is one the top winning programs in the country, yet they don't act like it.

There is simply no reason why Auburn shouldn't win at least 9 games per year. We have good recruiting classes every year. We have great facilities. We have great support from donors. What is the problem with the apathetic play that we see?

Is it the culture like Muschamp has said? What or who is the problem? It is incomprehensible to me that we can't field a consistent team.

What the heck is it? I'm at a loss.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea it starts with the culture, but it really has to start with something fresh. Auburn moved the ball with invented plays at times, but other than that it's the same plays over and over again. On defense, the line has to generate more plays and be more effective than they have been. Auburn as alot of new players playing. Some in different positions, some not so much.

I have no insight as to what is wrong, but there is definitely something going on! How can you recruit like we have for the past 5-6 years, yet you can't field a team that can get any kind of pressure against SJSU/Jax St???? How is it that one player (Lawson) can get hurt, and your entire defense falls apart? Why is Duke sprinting around and acting a fool that he recovers an onside kick, yet half-asses every block downfield??? How do you have the HUNH guru, and yet we look slower than every team we have faced???

Too many questions, in my opinion, to have much hope for this season. I love my Tigers, but I really haven't felt this pessimistic about Auburn since Tubbs last season and 2012. I know we're young, but we have talented players that are juniors/seniors. It's a head-scratcher, for sure!!!

So what AU should do is just put out a disclaimer that reads:

"Fans, we need you to understand that we will field a competitive football team once every three to four years."

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Don't know what it is, but we've had it since Tubs left.

We were just bad on D, now it's D and the O. But I think the D is slowly getting better.

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Not necessarily. He's had success with passing quarterbacks in the past. I will say that it is important to have consistent play of some kind from the quarterback. The qb cannot be a weakness. Even Chris Todd was consistent enough to keep the chains moving.

Don't know what it is, but we've had it since Tubs left.

We were just bad on D, now it's D and the O. But I think the D is slowly getting better.

The D is going to take some time...gotta get more of Will type players in, and they have to get more acclimated to his system. The expectations levied for this team were a year away IMO....just too many new players and combined with a new defense.....but hey the season ain't over yet

Listen up kids because I know the problem.Our problem is that most of our four and five star players play like two star players with tails between their legs

If you want the solution, well you're not very bright. Jk....but not really

We have 0 player development...our best players are transfers that were coached up by other staffs.

This

Not necessarily. He's had success with passing quarterbacks in the past. I will say that it is important to have consistent play of some kind from the quarterback. The qb cannot be a weakness. Even Chris Todd was consistent enough to keep the chains moving.

How many games did we win with Chris Todd?? 8?? Is that where you want to be?? Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Sure he's had success with passing QB's in the past....at Tulsa. This isn't the mountain west. This offense is MOST effective with QBs who can run and make plays with their legs. Period.

I don't know but it just looks bad on both sides of the ball. Nothing is really clicking. Line play is pretty poor. QB play is poor. This team has a long way to go. If not for Barber we would really be in trouble. OL did get better late in the game.

How many games did we win with Chris Todd?? 8?? Is that where you want to be?? Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Sure he's had success with passing QB's in the past....at Tulsa. This isn't the mountain west. This offense is MOST effective with QBs who can run and make plays with their legs. Period.

Again, Chris Todd was a transfer. What has Gus done with any players he has been responsible in recruiting from HS and developing? Absolutely nothing!

It's almost as if AU can't play unless we are a senior laden team. A lot of teams have young players, crap, Kerryon is a freshman but plays like a senior.

We have a HC who is best suited to be an OC. We need a competent AD to hire a good HC.

wde

Smh. You want Gus being our OC???? He is literally the worst play caller in the SEC. His "system" is ineffective and complete joke to be honest. Horrible player development on top of absolutely pitiful play calling results in close games vs JSU and SJS, and losing every SEC game!

Todd's arm was hurt in the middle of that season. I'd also argue that our biggest limitation that season was a lack of consistency in the deep passing game. Todd was bright enough to find people open, but he didn't have the arm strength or control to throw Downfield in tight windows. He did have success with big armed pocket passers at other schools though. He has been able to do it in the past and did so with less talent at the other positions.

I would say that Gus has been the problem though. Our play calling hasn't really fit our team's skills very well.

Listen up kids because I know the problem.Our problem is that most of our four and five star players play like two star players with tails between their legs

If you want the solution, well you're not very bright. Jk....but not really

A lot of our top ranked players aren't playing at all, as in they aren't on the field, and we don't have as many as some people think to begin with. We are not a uat or a UGA in recruiting, not close. Our two 5 star RBs are both nursing injuries. Frost was an athlete who never turned into a great LB. Our stud DE is in his second season of injured reserve. Who are our other greats? Duke has never been a great hands or a speed guy, just a big body. When I watch uat play (not often) I recognize two thirds of the names on the field from following recruiting. UGA is similar. We *should* be really good on the OL based on recruiting, but I can't really name another position where we have recruited at that level, ESPN after the injury bugs. All that said, most of these guys just aren't competing, either.

We have a HC who is best suited to be an OC. We need a competent AD to hire a good HC.

wde

Smh. You want Gus being our OC???? He is literally the worst play caller in the SEC. His "system" is ineffective and complete joke to be honest. Horrible player development on top of absolutely pitiful play calling results in close games vs JSU and SJS, and losing every SEC game!

Damn, I guess Sammie, Gabe, Alonzo, and a few others just coached themselves up....

wde

Damn, I guess Sammie, Gabe, Alonzo, and a few others just coached themselves up....

Looks that way ...

Archived