Gus Malzahn's Postgame Presser - San Jose State

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn

Malzahn after 35-21 win over San Jose State: "It's a good win against a quality win against a quality opponent."

Malzahn: "(Saturday's win) allows us to really catch our breath as coaches."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: "We're a run, play-action team. Balance means take what the defense is giving you."

@matthewcstevens

Gus: "Happy for our players. It was a good win. ... The off week couldn;t come a a better time."

Gus: "I felt like the keys to the game were the defense forced four turnovers."

Gus: "We do what we have to do to win. That's just the way it was today. ... We have a good idea about who we are moving forward."

Gus on Peyton: "He gets stronger as the game goes on."

Gus on QBs: "We'll take this thing week to week like we've been doing. We're starting to get good answers to the questions we needed"

Gus on D: "You got to look at it collectively. ... They're very opportunistic, but they're still a work in progress like our offense."

Gus on Ricardo: "He's close (to 100 percent). ... It's going to be good for him to rest"

Malzahn said Tim Irvin wasn't good to go today, which is why we didn't see him play

Malzahn on Cass at Buck: "We'll see how he graded out and what Will wants to do."

Malzahn: "We're hoping we'll get (Carl Lawson) back before the end of the season."

@AUBlog

Malzahn on Kerryon Johnson in Wildcat: "I thought he did some good things"

Malzahn on Peyton Barber: "He's really been the leader of the offense so far"

Malzahn: "The ball security has to get better"

@EvanMcCullers

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a carbon-copy of what he has said after every game. If he felt this was a "quality win" over a "quality opponent" and that we "did what we had to do to get the win", then we are in a helluva lot of trouble. Miss, UGA, aTm, and bammer will stomp the crap out of the team that showed up today, and that is my best attempt at being optimistic.

Maybe Gus has written the season off, like some of the players seem to have. I've heard rumors of locker room problems, and this type of coach-speak leads me to believe the rumors are right.

Gus on QBs: "We'll take this thing week to week like we've been doing. We're starting to get good answers to the questions we needed"

WTF?

He now knows we are really good at handing the ball off

really

It's great to have a week off to practice the "louis sweep" and our two other runs and two passes.

Maybe they can find some time to talk with the ol and dl about holding their ground and perhaps capturing some of the opponents.

Someone needs to slip some gunpowder into Gus' milk so he might get a little meaner and maybe scold a few players to encourage better performance.

Meanwhile, the Jim McElwain coached Florida Gators are dominating the beejeezus out of Ole Miss. smh.....

Now there's a proven OC running a team.

Meanwhile, the Jim McElwain coached Florida Gators are dominating the beejeezus out of Ole Miss. smh.....

:yes:

:yes:

How many NC's has he got as an OC, or played in as a HC?

:yes:/>

Are you serious ...

WTF?

Ten passes? What could he possibly learn?

Are you serious ...

Hahaha. That's funny right there. Google is your friend, goAU

This isliterally the same thing he says about every player, game, before and after. I can put up with this when we are winning, when he shows he's can be a good coach.

"We are a run, play action team". Yeah, if you say so..!

And a HUNH?

"It's a good win against a quality win against a quality opponent." Is he serious...haha. Sad it's come to this....

I am a recent graduate, but I was there when Tre Mason played, and Peyton has been the best RB I've seen since him. Can anyone tell me why Peyton is not getting the credit he deserves? He almost tied Cadillac's record of 6 rushing touchdowns in a game today. I don't know, but I feel like Gus is saying he's a "leader" in pressers, but he only got 7 carries against LSU. I just don't understand it.

WTF?

Ten passes? What could he possibly learn?

The receivers are not executing. Walking/jogging routes. Obvious the one receiver that is running is the primary. Half fast does not cut it.

More than our coach.

I'm not sure how much of the O mess is Gus' fault. I'm thinking Rhett is the weakest link, but I'm no expert to say the least.

I am disappointed that we haven't adjusted our offensive scheme at all with SW in at QB. I thought that"s what Gus did, adjusted to his players strengths. Tonight it looked like he thought NM was qb. Of course, Rhett is calling the plays according to those in the know.

I watch UF shred OM and I see wr's getting open against a great d. I see our wr's appear to run towards db as though they want to hide behind them at times.

Perhaps, GM's biggest mistake is thinking he could run the same O without a seriously fast running qb? I hope not because NM's and CN's are far from a dime a dozen.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: "We're a run, play-action team. Balance means take what the defense is giving you."

I've still never heard a coach besides the guy at Ark limit his philosophy the way Gus does. It's like he would rather die than add a real passing game to his offense. He is trying to recruit passing QBs now and still refuses to have a passing game for them.

At this point, I think even the perkiest sunshine pumpers are beginning to lose confidence in Gus. I was all for hiring us, I thought we were going to hire bus, & I was excited when we were. Even the late season plunge last year did not shake my confidence in him. But this season, especially when paired with the trend line from last season, Gus is beginning to look incompetent as a coach. Whether you call it stubbornness or something else, his refusal to vary his game plan significantly is beyond me. He does not seem to find value in using game reps to try different things to make his team better.

Archived