Ten Passes? This is not progress!

DivisionN

We only threw 10 passes in a tougher than it should have been game and that is supposedly what our QB's strength is. If anyone sees the logic in that then more power to ya.

And just noting the excuse that we need to let him gain his confidence.....that's hard to buy. Every week we see some freshman come into rescue his team after the starter gets hurt or whatever. The Cincy QB last week, a freshman from the state of Alabama threw for about 500 yards and today the Missouri freshman QB started after the Mizzou QB was suspended and he completed 21 of 28 passes.

Coaches have different theories of course but I have to wonder if allowing SW to toss only 10 passes is doing anything to prepare him for the rest of the season. Just sayin" :dunno:

I like Mizzou's QB. Probably a blessing in disguise for them Mauk did mess up b/c Lock looks a lot better and they always play solid defense.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want more passes, you'll have to take SW out because he's not going to beat teams with his arm.

How can you know that? He hasn't had a chance to be successful yet.

An observation is that the WR group is not helping Sean out. As several have mentioned, Duke is not giving "all in" effort. Not sure why he's still in there to be honest.

Dropped passes continue. IF Jason catches that pass, it's six pts; it's also a much needed & long awaited boost of confidence and energy for Sean and the offense.

Route running and play calling seem to be mysterious at times.....but I'm not a SEC coach ...just a confused AU fan.

The difference in watching AU play and other top teams in our conference is either we dont have the talent that those teams have, or AU is not being coached very well. My observation is that we arent very talented. Our defensive line and linebacker play is down right bad.

If you want more passes, you'll have to take SW out because he's not going to beat teams with his arm.

Ridiculous. He threw the ball plenty deep today without much effort and the ball should have been caught. He is on the money regularly. Our receivers aren't open enough, drop the ball too often, are called out by announcers and "experts for laziness. He gets 10 throws against sjsu. SW is not the problem.

The difference in watching AU play and other top teams in our conference is either we dont have the talent that those teams have, or AU is not being coached very well. My observation is that we arent very talented. Our defensive line and linebacker play is down right bad.

Weve got just as many 4 and 5 stars as the others seems like.

Weve got just as many 4 and 5 stars as the others seems like.

Not quite in this conference, but the difference should be negligible. It has been in the past.

Exactly! I think SW can beat teams with his arm. Do some not realize that SW is THROWING QB right? His accuracy is on point a lot. WRs do need to step up but give them a chance as well just like we gave a chance to Ricardo to go up and get that ball. I'd take Ricardo, Duke and Mel Ray over any DB to go up and get the ball if there is 1 on 1 coverage.

Lots of hurt feelings, realizing SW is actually not drew Brees....But I do find it funny that now it's wr aren't helping Sean out....

Exactly! I think SW can beat teams with his arm. Do some not realize that SW is THROWING QB right? His accuracy is on point a lot. WRs do need to step up but give them a chance as well just like we gave a chance to Ricardo to go up and get that ball. I'd take Ricardo, Duke and Mel Ray over any DB to go up and get the ball if there is 1 on 1 coverage.

What folks have been saying for several years....but we still have mostly passive pass receivers who don't fight the defender to catch the ball. Our QBs (either JJ or SW) have their work cut out for them .....no much help from the WRs on route running or going strong for the ball.

Lots of hurt feelings, realizing SW is actually not drew Brees....But I do find it funny that now it's wr aren't helping Sean out....

throwing better than 60% and making plays with his legs. No problem with SW so far. It sure seems that wide receivers are constantly covered and are dropping well thrown balls.

They've been dropping balls, the o line has been sporadic. SW isn't the natural runner many said, he's too slight. He doesn't need to be used that way. And his ball security isn't good, he's just been fortunate. He's fumbled the ball at least three, maybe four times. If they don't go out of bounds.....You better stop fooling yourselves. EVERYBODY on this team needs to improve

They've been dropping balls, the o line has been sporadic. SW isn't the natural runner many said, he's too slight. He doesn't need to be used that way. And his ball security isn't good, he's just been fortunate. He's fumbled the ball at least three, maybe four times. If they don't go out of bounds.....You better stop fooling yourselves. EVERYBODY on this team needs to improve

BIG TIME!

I certainly don't see SW as not having any issues but all i heard before SW was that we needed a QB that doesn't make mistakes and doesn't throw the ball directly to the defenders. I agree he's too loose with the football but he's not chunking up INTs on the regular either. I accept that the team is just not as good as we thought but my goodness it wouldn't kill us to at least try something different. Give us a chance to do something on offense instead of being so conservative and hoping the opposing teams just mess up and a win lands in our laps.

O line can't protect the pass. SW running is worst case scenario, yet that's what's happening.

I thought Gus said this team would be better. Did he mention any sort of timeline?

Clearly Gus believes Carl Lawson is the Defense's Obi-Wan Kenobi, but who is gonna save the Offense?

I was not convinced pulling JJ was the right thing to do but I understood the decision to go to SW. My problem is if we were going to pull the reins back on the offense even farther with SW in then what was the purpose of putting him in? I guess I would rather have JJ slinging it around even risking the int's than having such a conservative approach.

Seems to be lots of I's in this TEAM. Continuing to play Duke just can't be good for chemistry. I can't understand why so many people are saying we need to target him more? Yeh I get it, he's a talented guy but if you're going to loaf on your routs and not even bother to block for your teammates then the only you need is some time on the bench! If he gives such little effort during games I would hate to see what he looks like at practice. You want a team with more grit and heart then put in the players who are going to bust their buts and put it all on the line for their teammates all day everyday. Just my opinion. Flame away.

SW is a very good short game passer. CGM has no short passing game!

This might be true, someone else care to weigh in?

If Gus has no faith in White, put Johnson back in. Our passing game is a mess and it will not get better by NOT passing. I'm a Gus fan but was very disappointed that we did not do anything to try and pas the ball more.

I think he has more confidence in White than receivers. Actually this has been CGM philosophy. If you can run it why pass. We won several games with Nick (and even Cam) rarely passing. Problem is we need work on passing game. OL and receivers need the work more than White. QB is the strongest of the three parts of the pass game IMO.

If Gus has no faith in White, put Johnson back in. Our passing game is a mess and it will not get better by NOT passing. I'm a Gus fan but was very disappointed that we did not do anything to try and pas the ball more.

I think he has more confidence in White than receivers. Actually this has been CGM philosophy. If you can run it why pass. We won several games with Nick (and even Cam) rarely passing. Problem is we need work on passing game. OL and receivers need the work more than White. QB is the strongest of the three parts of the pass game IMO.

Agreed.

Ridiculous. He threw the ball plenty deep today without much effort and the ball should have been caught. He is on the money regularly. Our receivers aren't open enough, drop the ball too often, are called out by announcers and "experts for laziness. He gets 10 throws against sjsu. SW is not the problem.

I think we finally found someone who watched the game.

Drew Brees would look bad in this offense right now.

SW looks good so far atc. The disappointing thing to me is that we are running the same O. I thought Gus would tailor the O around his strengths at least a little bit, mix it up some. We seemed to be starting to do that early in the msu game, then tonight against a weaker opponent, we throw less. Go deep one time it's open and he hits the throw close enough to complete and we never try it again.

I think we ran SW too much today. His success against msu came when it surprised them. If we try that against SEC teams he will get hurt.

Our offensive playcalling is just baffling at times.

Archived