Recruiting services

Lowrider

It's like Mark Twain said, It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled".

The recruiting rankings are fooling you. It's just a business, do you really believe they rate 3200 high schoolers and JCs right while the NFL misses 65% of their 250. I'm so tired of hearing about 4 stars and 5 stars. They are just lost freshman when they show up to campus. Just because the recruiting services say we have talent does not mean we do. Use your own eyes if a player looks like he can't play at this level then it's probably because he can't. What AU fan is going to buy a subscription to a site that says our class in not that good. They need to tell AU fans that the class is good in order to pay the bills. It's really that simple.

Once again another dumb rehashed argument. The teams that win championships can RECRUIT at a HIGH level and they have coaches that COACH at a HIGH level.

Not sure I completely agree. I think there are a lot of exceptions but the majority of our players that are very solid are either veterans or highly rated recruits; (I.e. Duke Williams- 5 star; Monty Adams- 5 star; Carl Lawson- 5 star; Peyton Barber-highly rated 3 star, 4 star by some; Roc Thomas- 5 star; Cassanova McKinsy- 4 star; Tray Matthews- 4 star (I think?); Blake Countess-veteran). Of course there are exceptions to this, I said this earlier on one post, that's what makes college football so great. But look at the past years of recruiting. Most teams towards the top of those rankings are also towards the top of the win column right now.

Also, look at our great players from the previous years:

Cam Newton- big 5 star

Nick Marshall- (actually not sure, I think high 3, 4 by a lot?)

Tre Mason- 4 star

Reese Dismukes- 4 star

Cameron Artis-Payne- 4 star

Chris Davis- 4 star I believe

I also think Dee Ford was fairly highly rated out of high school. Recruiting stars have value. There are people whose job it is to rank these guys accordingly and then converse with one another to make an informed decision. I actually think recruiting services are very important to the game. I think with the correct coaching, these guys have talent levels that can be unbelievably good based off of their rankings. Our problem, ladies and gents, is coaching.

Cam Newton- big 5 star

Tre Mason- 4 star

Reese Dismukes- 4 star

I also think Dee Ford was fairly highly rated out of high school. Recruiting stars have value. There are people whose job it is to rank these guys accordingly and then converse with one another to make an informed decision. I actually think recruiting services are very important to the game. I think with the correct coaching, these guys have talent levels that can be unbelievably good based off of their rankings. Our problem, ladies and gents, is coaching.

Feel free to list all the 4 and 5 star we have had that could not play a lick.

Cam Newton- big 5 star

Tre Mason- 4 star

Reese Dismukes- 4 star

I have never heard of a five star that couldn't play a lick. Maybe Brantley from Florida?

Cam Newton- big 5 star

Tre Mason- 4 star

Reese Dismukes- 4 star

all 2 of em?

Ok, let's ignore the fact that the top teams get the most stars.

Baylor, TCU and Oregon have overachieved based on player rankings.

they tend to have pretty good recruiting rankings. Not all world but they get 3 an 4 stars and the occasional 5 star and do pretty well.

they tend to have pretty good recruiting rankings. Not all world but they get 3 an 4 stars and the occasional 5 star and do pretty well.

They do better now that they're more established-- they got there with a lot of 3 stars.

And they have ____ titles.

I see your point. The fact is stars count for a lot. They are not and have never been the end all be all.

take a look at the national champs the past 10 years. I'd be willing to bet that they all sit at the top as far as recruiting rankings go during that time. that is not a coincidence..

I think it would be intersting to see what the average star rating and star distribution is for a pro football team, say like the Green Bay Packers. Just to see if there is any correlation to the college game.

I think it would be intersting to see what the average star rating and star distribution is for a pro football team, say like the Green Bay Packers. Just to see if there is any correlation to the college game.

Thanks for volunteering.

The answer to the pro question is no. Pro football weeds out the bad no matter the star or were they played in college. They will have a mix of highly rated guys that were 4 and 5 stars, but they will also have huys from fcs schools and division2.

That information is available, and has been posted here. Where, exactly, I don't recall but it's out there for the entire list of NFL players. I'm not interested enough to do a search, but it's there if someone cares enough to run it down.

Rating kids as football players is like when you hire a new employee at your company. You interview and get a feel for what the employee knows and you try to gauge work ethic and desire The problem is from an interview you can't really gauge wok ethic. Same with kids it is hard to rate desire and work ethic before they are actually playing for you. That is why some 5's flop and some 2's come on. Individually stars don't matter as a group they do based on fact that teams that are rated high on talent usually do well.

You don't notice when a 2-3 star doesn't pan out, but you do when it's a 5 star...b/c of frequency and expectations. 4-5 stars are far, far, far more successful (in college and in the NFL) on average than 2-3 stars (which there are thousands of). The recruiting services do a pretty good job and are much better at identifying and ranking talent today, than 15 years ago.

Oregon, Baylor, and TCU are by far the exceptions to the rule...but how many schools have won titles with 2-3 star talent? None. Those 3 have only been in the title conversation. You can't build a successful team in the SEC by assembling a bunch of blue-collar diamond-in-the-rough guys...you'll be an at-best occasional 8-9 win team, with a bunch of 4, 5, and 6 win seasons in between.

If all the coaches are wrong, and you're right...then go ahead and get into coaching and prove them wrong.

Add Utah, Northwestern, Temple, Miss St, Stanford, and others to this overachieved list.

Archived