4th and 1 on the 8

TigerOne

This was a beautiful drive by the Tigers, good blocking, Roc running strong, defense on its heals, good rhythm and pace by the offense, homecoming crowd still in the stadium, a TD here would have sealed the game. So Gus shows his confidence in the team and reward them with go for it right? Plus great practice for the team in this situation. Oh wait nope we can't make one yard against this team send in the field goal and it's..a miss. TheSpartans answer with a 80 yard td drive

Gus you blew that decision..sorry. You owe the team and the fans something better than that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a beautiful drive by the Tigers, good blocking, Roc running strong, defense on its heals, good rhythm and pace by the offense, homecoming crowd still in the stadium, a TD here would have sealed the game. So Gus shows his confidence in the team and reward them with go for it right? Plus great practice for the team in this situation. Oh wait nope we can't make one yard against this team send in the field goal and it's..a miss. TheSpartans answer with a 80 yard td drive

Gus you blew that decision..sorry. You owe the team and the fans something better than that.

What?!

I might disagree with his decision. In this case, it's pretty easy, since we missed the FG. Hindsight is 50/50, after all.

But how does Gus OWE us anything for making a bad call? He made the decision he thought was most likely to result in a win. It didn't work -- well, we won, anyway. But it resulted in 0 points. That kind of thing happens.

I understand what was likely Gus' reasoning by that call, but I did disagree with it. My thought has always been: if you can't get one yard at crunch-time, then damn the field goals. When I think of Gus, I consider him to be a good coach when he's multiple scores ahead, or multiple scores behind. I contrast that with a coach like Tuberville, where he is very much in his element when the game is within a score or two. Then again, there's probably a reason that Gus is Auburn's head football coach, and I'm a network administrator.

They used to call Tuberville the "Riverboat Gambler". I wish some of that would rub off on Gus. For better or worse, I admire gutsy calls.

Really?

Take the emotions out of the decision and look at the facts. The field goal would've made it a 3 score game. A TD makes it a 3 score game. We were up by 14. It was the correct call. They both would've accomplished the same outcome. SJSU would've been forced to throw. However, we miss the FG and none of the above happens. Say we went for it and got stuffed, or fumbled, or snapped the ball over the qb's head. How many on this board would've been yelling for the FG.

Take the emotions out of the decision and look at the facts. The field goal would've made it a 3 score game. A TD makes it a 3 score game. We were up by 14. It was the correct call. They both would've accomplished the same outcome. SJSU would've been forced to throw. However, we miss the FG and none of the above happens. Say we went for it and got stuffed, or fumbled, or snapped the ball over the qb's head. How many on this board would've been yelling for the FG.

I personally would've been saying if we can't get 1 yard against SJSU, then we really don't deserve to win

I understand what was likely Gus' reasoning by that call, but I did disagree with it. My thought has always been: if you can't get one yard at crunch-time, then damn the field goals. When I think of Gus, I consider him to be a good coach when he's multiple scores ahead, or multiple scores behind. I contrast that with a coach like Tuberville, where he is very much in his element when the game is within a score or two. Then again, there's probably a reason that Gus is Auburn's head football coach, and I'm a network administrator.

They used to call Tuberville the "Riverboat Gambler". I wish some of that would rub off on Gus. For better or worse, I admire gutsy calls.

I thought we should've gone for it, too. See what South Carolina did to us most recently. I hope Gus will embrace his inner HBC a bit more in the future.

I personally would've been saying if we can't get 1 yard against SJSU, then we really don't deserve to win

But we did just fail to get that yard on 3rd and 1 ....

It was raining. It was sjsu. 119th run d in the country. The football gods were not going to let us make that fg.

We were beating SC. That's why the HBC threw everything out the kitchen window. He knew that game was gonna be a shoutout. Their defense sucked (not that ours is much better), but they couldn't stop the run at all. NM ran all over the place as did CAP. We had the opportunity to go up 3 scores and make SJSU one dimensional. I understand both sides of the argument. Do you agree with Bret Beilema's decision to fake the field goal last night? That would've put them up by 7.

It's a textbook call, without more context. Our team 's collective psyche needed a vote of confidence.

One of the worst decisions of Gus's career. Didn't look good in any form or fashion.

I agree and its in more ways than one. (1) should have gone for it (2) waited way too long to make the decision which caused the fg team to rush (3) should have called a timeout when he saw the fg team trying to rush in the rain (4) showed no confidence in his offense when that is what they really need

It's a textbook call, without more context. Our team 's collective psyche needed a vote of confidence.

Spot freaking on

We were beating SC. That's why the HBC threw everything out the kitchen window. He knew that game was gonna be a shoutout. Their defense sucked (not that ours is much better), but they couldn't stop the run at all. NM ran all over the place as did CAP. We had the opportunity to go up 3 scores and make SJSU one dimensional. I understand both sides of the argument. Do you agree with Bret Beilema's decision to fake the field goal last night? That would've put them up by 7.

I'm guessing this was a response to me. I didn't watch that game, so I can't say.

It was raining. It was sjsu. 119th run d in the country. The football gods were not going to let us make that fg.

Hindsight is perfect for a debate. Who says the TB doesn't slip on wet turf? Did we rush things? Yes. Should we have called TO? Yes. Was the hold bad? Yes. Could the snap have been a repeat of MSU if we'd gone for it? Possibly. We'll never know.

Odds of the FG were many times higher than making the yard....though I would have liked Gus to show some "manhood" and go for it...... the coaches play the odds....especially with the chance to go up by 3 scores. The game's over, AU has the win...so why are people still crying over a decision they did not like.....this is pitiful IMO.

One of the worst decisions of Gus's career.

lol what?

You know, one of the worst decisions of Gus's career, dude.

I think I need to take a sabbatical

Don't you dare!

Spot freaking on

What's wrong with a textbook call? There's a reason why it's called a textbook call. Usually the textbook is correct. None the less, me, you and everyone else on this board are living in LaLa land if we really think that call will change the trajectory of the season. Gus won't even commit to the starting QB. How will this call help our teams psyche when he wont even pick a freaking QB?

Spot freaking on

What's wrong with a textbook call? There's a reason why it's called a textbook call. Usually the textbook is correct. None the less, me, you and everyone else on this board are living in LaLa land if we really think that call will change the trajectory of the season. Gus won't even commit to the starting QB. How will this call help our teams psyche when he wont even pick a freaking QB?

Good point.

Archived