7 D'haquille Takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

1. I guess Ricardo is the WR1, slot receiver, sweep back, kick returner, etc. Dude is gonna have to play the Harvin (seattle) role. Even Harvin didn't play that role right, Dude is gonna have to do ALOT. Only other purely solid receiving threat we've seen this year.

2. Duke was personally my favorite player on this team since the Arkansas 2014 game. Dude immediately intrigued me with his "I bite back" attitude, and willingness to throw his everything out on the field. Whenever Sammie would be hampered, he'd go over there (I imagine) and just tell him it's okay (along with Quan). I don't think Auburn will ever see another 2014 Duke again, maybe he couldn't block or outrun anyone, but dude was a human highlight reel every catch.

3. I feel bad he didn't go to the NFL. Would've been better for everyone. Myron Burton would've likely been groomed for the starting WR3 spot at the very least. Hard to believe a starter would leave for baseball or whatever. Auburn would've had a likely 2nd round and 3rd round receiver drafted for the first time in at least my time of watching Auburn. Duke could've finally helped his family out, and could be helping some NFL team out right now. Unfortunate.

4. This regression from 2014-2015 is more on the passing game than Duke. From an on the field perspective, dude didn't suddenly become worse or anything. He just was the one guy that completely quit really playing once it was obvious that the passing game was going nowhere. Which as a human being, I understand wanting to drop something when it's inevitable it won't change. But as a football fanatic, I understand why you can't do something as crazy as just not trying 100% (or 75% at least). I feel like if this OL + Gus + Jeremy actually lived up to expectations, we'd still be talking about why Duke could be having the best two seasons in the history of AU. Alas

5. I believe his incident has something to do with the performance by Auburn. I'm sure he went to the wrong scenery (not necessarily a nightclub, which has basically become the name for any seedy area if you're a coach), and heard some insulting things, possibly pertaining to the team, and he popped off. Duke obviously is from an area where you had to have quite a bit of fierceness to survive and/or thrive. Unfortunately, he was provoked/put himself in a situation to be provoked one too many times.

6. I don't think the passing game will improve at all, and I don't see why it would. I don't know where Jeremy is development wise, I don't know what Sean is really capable of, and I don't see why Gus would suddenly become an explosive playcaller again. I still haven't seen the OL look good yet against any respectable team yet. This team has an offensive identity on paper, which hasn't been executed correctly since January the 1st. The only positive is that maybe without Duke, Malzahn stops pretending like he can insert the current talent into the system of the past two years and he unveils something that looks NEW and FITS the current team. Call me a pessimist but it's gonna take more than losing our best receiver to spark something.

7. We need to ban Auburn players from anything bad near the Auburn area. Don't go to Montgomery period unless it's for family (which I feel bad saying because I like Montgomery, but I know it and I know the locations), don't go to no "night clubs", etc etc. We have guys fighting, guys getting shot, guys damn near getting shot, guys ruining their careers, I don't think this'll dispel all trouble, but maybe when we got an Auburn athlete riding down a neighborhood, maybe with these words in the back of his head, he'll keep it pushing instead of stopping and perusing the location at all. I don't know it seems like a solution to me

I already miss Duke, and it should be interesting to see how Auburn bounces back from this. Maybe we see Melvin, Marcus, Tony, and Slayton at some point????!!!?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Tony Stevens will finally show up.Slayton? I'd already forgotten about him.

We for once agree.Duke gave us a good run last year. Best of luck

Maybe Tony Stevens will finally show up.Slayton? I'd already forgotten about him.

Slayton was literally the only name I could think of left. I doubt we see him unless someone gets hurt but who knows

Lol at your assessment of Sammie....where do you get it? It's not from the field. It wasn't a game you saw Sammie not giving his all and duke then picked up the effort for both of them... Duke can't operate without Sammie

Sorry but since his 1st incident Duke has been playing not to get hurt and waiting on some sort of pay day in the NFL. Due to his lack luster play when he knew the ball was not coming his way the defense could basically focus on 2/3 or even 1/3 of the field depending on the play. Since game 1 it has been evident that something was going on behind the scenes. Just look at the number of times JJ threw to him and he would not be in the right place. I don't care how good of a player you are if you are not on board 100% a player can be a cancer to a team. Maybe with this subtraction the "team" can get back to playing like a "team" and not multiple "one man shows".

Sorry but since his 1st incident Duke has been playing not to get hurt and waiting on some sort of pay day in the NFL. Due to his lack luster play when he knew the ball was not coming his way the defense could basically focus on 2/3 or even 1/3 of the field depending on the play. Since game 1 it has been evident that something was going on behind the scenes. Just look at the number of times JJ threw to him and he would not be in the right place. I don't care how good of a player you are if you are not on board 100% a player can be a cancer to a team. Maybe with this subtraction the "team" can get back to playing like a "team" and not multiple "one man shows".

Maybe he should have sucked it up, 6'2" and 224

Treadwell is 6'2 210 hmm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/550014/laquon-treadwell

Lol at your assessment of Sammie....where do you get it? It's not from the field. It wasn't a game you saw Sammie not giving his all and duke then picked up the effort for both of them... Duke can't operate without Sammie

I got it from the fact that Sammie was crippled over half the season. Sammie wouldn't have been able to operate that entire season without Duke either. Obviously Sammie (or this offense) had some games where he had flashes of being healthy and out gained Duke many of those times, but that doesn't constitute a half of the season likely.

It is odd they didn't have chemistry but Jeremy couldn't throw to anyone. I don't think any other cases were blatant chemistry examples but this offense was overall bad passing. Those two back to back fades in the end zone is an example. One was more on Duke than Jeremy, and the other was vice versa.

I got it from the fact that Sammie was crippled over half the season. Sammie wouldn't have been able to operate that entire season without Duke either. Obviously Sammie (or this offense) had some games where he had flashes of being healthy and out gained Duke many of those times, but that doesn't constitute a half of the season likely.

Sammie's job was to take the top off the defense. He was doubled and was still able to do that. Only thing that helped Sammie do his job was the run game. We saw Sammie do the same things without duke. Can't say that the other way around

Slayton was literally the only name I could think of left. I doubt we see him unless someone gets hurt but who knows

Truitt is prolly next in line

Sammie's job was to take the top off the defense. He was doubled and was still able to do that. Only thing that helped Sammie do his job was the run game. We saw Sammie do the same things without duke. Can't say that the other way around

Im tired of the one trick ponies we have at receiver. I don't like deep threat roles and speed sweep guys. Duke was the closest receiver we had to actually being somewhat well rounded.

Can you blame the guy? Sure it's not the most mature thing to do but he knows he's good, and he can back it up; but we still will barely throw to him. He could be helping us, instead we only use him for 3rd and long situations. He gets predictable and can't utilize his extreme talent as well. I'd be a little PO'd too if I knew I could help a team but a coach wouldn't give me much of a chance to.

6. I don't think the passing game will improve at all, and I don't see why it would. I don't know where Jeremy is development wise, I don't know what Sean is really capable of, and I don't see why Gus would suddenly become an explosive playcaller again. I still haven't seen the OL look good yet against any respectable team yet. This team has an offensive identity on paper, which hasn't been executed correctly since January the 1st. The only positive is that maybe without Duke, Malzahn stops pretending like he can insert the current talent into the system of the past two years and he unveils something that looks NEW and FITS the current team. Call me a pessimist but it's gonna take more than losing our best receiver to spark something.

I disagree, Passing game is set up by the rushing game. What to you is improvement? All Gus needs with his scheme is a threat that keeps the secondary back. 20-25 throws would be some kind of record for a Gus team that won a game. GIVE GUS TIME PEOPLE. He has to find a way to make his offense work with a talent/intellegence level he's never worked with yet. It's a game of chess he's never played, but he will find the scheme and win alot of games.

Not sure why Duke would throw away his future like this. But I agree with many others that Duke became a bad influence or a "cancer" to the overall team.

Chances are that Duke sowed seeds with other team members. I hope Gus also ferrets out those adversely affected by Duke's presence and also makes them an example to the rest of the team.

This is definitely going to be a bad year for Auburn football. But we can make the best of it by rewarding the young hard workers desperate for chance to prove themselves and by showing severe ramifications to those that strike a bad attitude. In short, we need to establish a team culture and a higher set of expectations into the younger guys so that when they become juniors and seniors this whole thing is not repeated.

You write: "Duke was personally my favorite player on this team"

This surprises....... No one!

You write: "willingness to throw his everything out on the field"

You were one of the few, maybe the only person that saw this. With Dukes talent, if he had J Walls personality he would be a multi, multi millionaire next year. This one is all on Duke and his multiple chances that he pi$$ed away.

I disagree, Passing game is set up by the rushing game. What to you is improvement? All Gus needs with his scheme is a threat that keeps the secondary back. 20-25 throws would be some kind of record for a Gus team that won a game. GIVE GUS TIME PEOPLE. He has to find a way to make his offense work with a talent/intellegence level he's never worked with yet. It's a game of chess he's never played, but he will find the scheme and win alot of games.

Dude, Gus nor anyone else ever to have coached will get time from our fan base. We've been bitten so many times over the last decade that everyone is strung out on the drugs that 2010 and 2013 gave us. Heck, if not for the spotting of the AU on the tail of a plane in the middle of the night in KY we'd more than likely seen it happen again between 2003 and 2006.

Take a deep breath and see where this ride takes us. Gus isn't going anywhere and we need to step away from the cliff. ;)

Now in Duke's defense from another thread: "When you choose a school that is out of state because your family thinks you'll be murdered if you don't, it takes more than 1 1/2 years to escape those demons"

It is a shame, where we are as a society.

Now in Duke's defense from another thread: "When you choose a school that is out of state because your family thinks you'll be murdered if you don't, it takes more than 1 1/2 years to escape those demons"

I wrote that. It's a shame that he had to do that or it's a shame to think a human being can be influenced by his environment? If it's the last, you need to do some reading.

I wrote that. It's a shame that he had to do that or it's a shame to think a human being can be influenced by his environment? If it's the last, you need to do some reading.

You're absolutely right, smackydoodle. Fans are extremely reluctant to make even a half-hearted effort to put themselves in a player's (or coach's) shoes.

Dude has serious mental issues. No telling what he went through back home. I just hope those demons don't end up killing him. Football be damned.

Please stop with the "Duke was a cancer that sowed seeds in the locker room" conspiracy talk. Nobody is in the know. We don't know how other players felt about him. I doubt the locker room will be divided about this decision but I also think that the team is not all of a sudden gonna start playing 100 times better

Please stop with the "Duke was a cancer that sowed seeds in the locker room" conspiracy talk. Nobody is in the know. We don't know how other players felt about him. I doubt the locker room will be divided about this decision but I also think that the team is not all of a sudden gonna start playing 100 times better

Not true. The team will rally around this and win the remaining games. We then will make the SECC game when LSU loses 3. Then it's on to the playoff just like everyone thought. Stop raining on my parade.

5. I believe his incident has something to do with the performance by Auburn. I'm sure he went to the wrong scenery (not necessarily a nightclub, which has basically become the name for any seedy area if you're a coach), and heard some insulting things, possibly pertaining to the team, and he popped off. Duke obviously is from an area where you had to have quite a bit of fierceness to survive and/or thrive. Unfortunately, he was provoked/put himself in a situation to be provoked one too many times.

I'll take issue with this. His attitude has been a problem from day one. He has always had a hard time controlling himself. He got suspended before the Outback Bowl. Then this August, before we'd had any poor performance to bother him and when preseason predictions for Auburn and Duke were sky high, he gets himself into trouble at practice and is suspended again. This was the last straw.

Duke is gonna Duke. He doesn't have to be provoked because anything to Duke can be a provocation. Coach Craig has taken him under his wing, tried to mentor him, tried to teach him how to handle his emotions, channel his emotions. Duke doesn't want to be taught. He wants to act on whatever he's feeling right now, in the moment, whether that's shooting off his mouth or getting into a fight.

I get that the season has been frustrating, but that simply doesn't explain Duke getting himself into yet another situation. Duke can invent new ways to get into situations because he's not teachable.

Is Sammie your baby daddy or something?

Archived