If you were Gus..

AuCivilEng1

We all know that there are some issues going on with this team. They aren't performing on the field, and there are rumors going around that off the field is becoming an issue. I tend to agree with the rumors, because a team as talented as we are can't just be this bad. If you were in Gus' shoes, how do you turn this thing around before it gets to far. Do you switch personnel, do you find someone to speak to the team, etc?

If i were Gus...copious amounts to Jack Honey, phone calls to Takeo Spikes and Karlos Dansby, play all freshmen and sophomores to see who's got a pair and will bleed in '16-'17 for championship runs.

Since I am not Gus and can only control myself, I'm still taking the first part of my advice to be able to enjoy the rest of the '15 season

If I were Gus, I would stand before the team and admit that I made a bad decision by keeping a player who put himself before the team. I would admit that I treated him differently, because he was a "star", but also because I wanted him to make something of his life. I would admit that maybe I did not give others the same considerations and I would promise to treat everyone the same in the future. I would then ask the team who really wanted to be there, who was willing to put the team first, and who wanted to put forth the effort to make something of this football season. I would give them a chance to speak their minds, then I would invite anyone who sitll felt like they wanted to leave the team, to leave.

Then I'd say, "Let's get to work and turn this train around."

And I might make a mental nod to Chizik, who went through this kind of situation with grace and class and humility.

Carry on, Gus. I still trust in you.

First thing I would do is have a meeting with the men, and specifically tell them not to touch Santiago.

... If you must, touch Maria! ;)

If I were Gus, I would stand before the team and admit that I made a bad decision by keeping a player who put himself before the team. I would admit that I treated him differently, because he was a "star", but also because I wanted him to make something of his life. I would admit that maybe I did not give others the same considerations and I would promise to treat everyone the same in the future. I would then ask the team who really wanted to be there, who was willing to put the team first, and who wanted to put forth the effort to make something of this football season. I would give them a chance to speak their minds, then I would invite anyone who sitll felt like they wanted to leave the team, to leave.

And I might make a mental nod to Chizik, who went through this kind of situation with grace and class and humility.

This is what I expect might have happened today.^^^^^^^^^

As an aside.....

I spent some important time with Gus in the offseason. Not by choice per se but we ended up spending about two weeks (off and on) meeting with others about important matters and I'd vouch for who he is and what kind of coach he is without pause. He loves his players, he's committed to building a winner here and he's pretty tough on these guys. What may have happened here is the heart of the man (Gus, DC, and Rhett) allowed the situation with Duke to get out in front of them and gave the appearance that Duke was getting special treatment.

I know in the depths of my heart that Gus is doing everything he can....he might be making some mistakes but he's losing sleep I can guarantee that! He loves this place and wants to build a sustaining winner here....for the long haul.

Well, Gus did say ALL positions were open to competition, which is something I would have done. That means upperclassmen get benched if they are being bested by underclassmen. The championship goals for this season are done, so it's time to find who wants to play in the rest of 2015, 2016, and maybe even 2017. There may even be some wins sprinkled in there. This team clearly does not have "IT", and no amount of coaching or practice is really going to change that. However, they can certainly put together an outfit that wants to fight and looks forward to fighting some more. Show me some improvement and some fight. If some assistant coaches need to go at the end of the season, so be it. If some players do, so be it. All corrosive elements must go.

Chizik didn't really get fired because of 3-9. He got fired because of 38-0 in Jordan-Hare, followed by 49-0 against Bama, and then ultimately 3-9. He could have perhaps ended up righting the ship, but his team showed no improvement at all as things progressed. I'm not saying this team is the 2012 team, I'm just saying this is where the men that get paid a lot of money get to really earn it.

Only comparing Gus to Chizik because of the apparent dissent amongst some members of the team, due to how some players were treated vs. others. Each situation is different, I know. Not comparing W-L or anything like that, just team attitudes.

Only comparing Gus to Chizik because of the apparent dissent amongst some members of the team, due to how some players were treated vs. others. Each situation is different, I know. Not comparing W-L or anything like that, just team attitudes.

In that regard, the comparison is understood.

Gus needs to tell the entire team what Muschamp told the defense - if you don't give maximum effort you can't play here.

Gus is at a personal crossroad. I hope he gets it right!

I think the murders, Dyer, and the armed robbery was a big part of that teams undoing along with the hiring of CSL.

I agree it is a crossroads for Gus. I believe he will do what's best for the team. I also think it is a great learning experience for him and he will become a much better coach because of it. I bet it killed him to have Duke continue to make the same mistakes...

I use the Butch Jones/Tubberville youth excuse. First time starters at QB, RB, HB, TE, C, and DE. Gotta play together to create the rhythm it takes to run Gus's offense. After Nick Marshall's first game and seeing how disorganized the offense looked I said no better than 6-6. If I'm Gus I stay the course and reap the rewards of team chemistry by the end of the season.

Boom....excellent post. I would recommend some read the comments from his presser tonite, specifically what Wallace and Jay Jones had to say about the team and there mental state.

if I were Gus. I would admit my mistakes. Be a man and start anew.

Play who wanted to give their ALL.... Take my medicine and make this a team before the year ends.

if I were Gus. I would admit my mistakes. Be a man and start anew.

Play who wanted to give their ALL.... Take my medicine and make this a team before the year ends.

Problem is....if he admitted openly to anything the Sharks of the SEC recruiting circles would roast him. He can turn it around without admitting anything.

LIVE UPDATES: Jonathan Wallace now here. Said receivers had a "different sense of urgency" today oanow.com/sports/college…

Wallace on difference between now and 2012: "We have leaders who will step up ... and police the team." oanow.com/sports/college…

To the comments mentioning that Jones & Wallace acknowledge it's different than 2012, I can see that. Watching the Auburn Football Review this past week and looking at the guys as Gus is talking to them after the victory, you see a bunch of happy guys. The team probably lacks confidence, not will. Baby steps.

As the old Aerosmith tune tells us "You've got to lose to know how to win..."

To the comments mentioning that Jones & Wallace acknowledge it's different than 2012, I can see that. Watching the Auburn Football Review this past week and looking at the guys as Gus is talking to them after the victory, you see a bunch of happy guys. The team probably lacks confidence, not will. Baby steps.

As the old Aerosmith tune tells us "You've got to lose to know how to win..."

Ha! Dream on pal . . . j/k!

Archived