John Cubelic on Duke Dismissal

Weegle777

Good stuff from a former player.

http://gridironnow.com/duke-williams-dismissal-not-that-big-a-surprise/

(John Cubelic is a former Auburn wide receiver under Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizik. The Tigers’ offensive coordinator during his final season was Gus Malzahn.)

I am arguably one of the few followers of Auburn football who wasn’t surprised by the dismissal of wide receiver Duke Williams on Monday night. Honestly, I am surprised that he remained with the team this long.

From my perspective, this decision was a good, if not great, move for Auburn.

Williams

Duke Williams led Auburn with 45 receptions last season; he had 12 in five games this season. JOHN DAVID MERCER/USA TODAY SPORTS

As I stood on the field during warmups last Saturday, I found myself side by side with Williams. Naturally, I gravitate to the receivers during pre-game, and once again, I was impressed by Williams’ physical presence. He is an imposing-looking wide receiver. The word I always associate with Williams is “thick” because of the uncommon degree to which he fills out his uniform. Apparently, that is an appropriate descriptor in more ways than one.

Throughout my career as a wide receiver at Auburn, I played with men of varying attitudes and outlooks. The majority of my teammates were among the hardest-working, team-oriented people I have known. But as with any position, there were a few guys in our room who thought they were better than they were or who thought Auburn simply was a springboard to the NFL, which is ironic considering that strategy worked out for exactly none of them.

We had receivers who played more than they should have, whose hype dictated their playing time. We had guys who thought they were more talented than they were and were treated as such. We also had guys who didn’t live up to their potential and guys who weren’t given a chance to. Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality.

That being said, I was fortunate to play with some world-class wide receivers who were grown men on and off the field. I will forever be in awe of Courtney Taylor’s fluidity in running routes and his humility in the face of his enormously personal success. I always will feel tremendous pride having watched Terrell Zachary’s maturation into Auburn’s secret weapon during the 2009 season and his secret-agent mentality when accepting praise. I still admire Rod Smith’s dedication to being the best receiver on the team and his ascension from walk-on to starter in just two years, and to Brandon Cox’s favorite target shortly thereafter.

During those years, we had our fair share of players with attitude. A chip on the shoulder can be a good thing, but there easily can come a time when that attitude becomes toxic. Fortunately, we did not have to deal with that often, but when we did, it usually was handled decisively. That is what must happen when a player’s attitude goes bad. If left unchecked, it will continue to fester and even begin poisoning the opinions of his teammates.

Gus Malzahn knows that all too well and, at this point, probably knows that Duke Williams should never have donned an Auburn uniform this season. Everyone loves a redemption story and Malzahn is the kind of man to give a player a second chance. But unfortunately, Williams is out of chances and has proven, again and again, that he is toxic.

Regardless of what his potential may have been, in spite of what his draft status looked like, he didn’t fit with the Auburn football team and talent had nothing to do with it. There is no doubt Williams has the physical tools to be great, but he has proven he lacks the mental fortitude to even remain eligible. While you may have seen the last of Williams at Auburn, don’t waste time lamenting what could have been. The simple reality is that he was not a go-to receiver for the Tigers this season, he was not capitalizing on the opportunities he was given and his effort was fair, if not poor.

More important than all of that, though, is the strength and resolve shown by Malzahn and his staff. It is unspeakably difficult for him and Dameyune Craig to watch one of the most talented players they will ever coach pack his bags, but they were left with little alternative. They made a statement to all current and future Tigers players that no one, regardless of hype or potential, is bigger than the team.

Much has been made this season of Auburn getting away from who it is. Well, this move by Malzahn proves that the program isn’t as far off as many thought. It shows that if you want to be remembered as a Tiger, you have to earn your stripes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more. It is a shame as I really wanted to see him succeed for Auburn and also to validate that giving players a second chance is the right thing to do. In his case I am afraid Gus was to nice and should not have given him a third and forth chance. I hope Gus will still give players a second chance but no more after that.

Couldn't agree more. It is a shame as I really wanted to see him succeed for Auburn and also to validate that giving players a second chance is the right thing to do. In his case I am afraid Gus was to nice and should not have given him a third and forth chance. I hope Gus will still give players a second chance but no more after that.

I agree....well except for JJ...he's had his chance.....time to move on.....

great article. glad to see it from a respected former player.

"Regardless of what his potential may have been, in spite of what his draft status looked like, he didn’t fit with the Auburn football team and talent had nothing to do with it. There is no doubt Williams has the physical tools to be great, but he has proven he lacks the mental fortitude to even remain eligible. While you may have seen the last of Williams at Auburn, don’t waste time lamenting what could have been. The simple reality is that he was not a go-to receiver for the Tigers this season, he was not capitalizing on the opportunities he was given and his effort was fair, if not poor".

John Cubelic

This is a difficult decision and fans can gripe about how long it took all they want. Gus understands that these are young men not just some trading cards that get traded or thrown away when damaged. I think Gus kept him in hopes that he could salvage Duke's life. I've been there. It's hard to do what you feel like is "giving up" on someone you spend 6 days a week with that you know has all the talent to be great if they'd just straighten up.

Ultimately you have to cut them loosen and hope that does enough. Thus situation really reminds me of Michael Dyer.

I agree with Cubelic 100%. Duke and Dyer screwed things up and cut their playing days short. Dyer messed up his stock in the NFL draft and the same will be true for Duke.

" Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality."

And it begins in the very beginning when the only thing the kids know about football is that the coach's son is playing QB. ;)

I wonder who on his teams he felt wasn't getting enough snaps and who he thought were favorites and were getting undeserved playing time

great article. glad to see it from a respected former player.

never heard of him.

Me neither. And while I agree with DW being gone, this after the fact "I knew it all along" article does not do much for me.Write this in August and I have much more respect for his "insight".

" Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality."

yes maybe Duke's dad was influencing his playing time? I don't remember john cubelic and dont think he is really on to anything with this ridiculous nonsense. I still have not seen an example of duke fighting off campus having any affect on team moral. He obviously has a problem and was a liability, basically had to be removed . but I see no logic to explain how this could have a big immediate Impact to the team positively.

I think it will help the team a ton. It might not be visible from the outside but from a locker room perspective it will be a big plus.

yes maybe Duke's dad was influencing his playing time? I don't remember john cubelic and dont think he is really on to anything with this ridiculous nonsense. I still have not seen an example of duke fighting off campus having any affect on team moral. He obviously has a problem and was a liability, basically had to be removed . but I see no logic to explain how this could have a big immediate Impact to the team positively.

Have you ever been a part of a high level athletic locker room?

Well, John has. So his opinion is valid.

so explain how politics makes for dukes playing time. Or please tell me which wr is a better player than duke. That is the ridiculous part. Duke has no family pressuring gus, I doubt bobby jindall is telling Robert Bently to make sure the Williams kid from his state gets to start every game. There are zero politics helping Duke williams. Duke played because he is one of the most talented wrs in the nation.

Like any team, when a member isn't pulling their weight and are perceived by the other team members as getting special treatment. It affects the moral of the entire team. Duke's off the field activities and subsequently getting into trouble and not having to pay consequences for it while others are more harshly punished in some team members eyes does affect the moral of the overall team. This is just human nature. It works the same in athletics, military, work environment etc...just different dynamics.

Well, John has. So his opinion is valid.

so explain how politics makes for dukes playing time. Or please tell me which wr is a better player than duke. That is the ridiculous part. Duke has no family pressuring gus, I doubt bobby jindall is telling Robert Bently to make sure the Williams kid from his state gets to start every game. There are zero politics helping Duke williams. Duke played because he is one of the most talented wrs in the nation.

Does most talented mean the best? Perhaps the meaning of the word "political" extends beyond the world of politics?

I don't know who John Cubelic is, but why couldn't he have written this article back in the summer and given us a heads up about what was going on?

Archived