which would you want over a 10-year span?

jskilgro

7 10-win seasons with only 1 shot at a championship?

or

3 10-win seasons with 3 shots at a championship?

i ask because i, too, want to see a consistent culture of excellence and physicality. i want to re-establish the Auburn brand of football. is that possible under Gus?

I think it depends on how bad the other seasons are between those title shots. I don't think our coach is really capable of long term consistent success. Too stubborn, insist on running his 5 base plays every year even if we are not that good at them. I think you have to be willing to change and adapt to new ideas in this league and he is not willing to do that. Instead of expanding his playbook it seems to be getting even smaller as he goes.

I'll take the 3 shots at a title personally. Really good seasons aren't etched in the annals of college football history, only the great ones.

I think our floor should be 7-8 wins, and that should be considered a down year.

I think 9-10 wins should be our average. I understand that it's not realistic to win the West every single year. Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, and now Ole Miss have really good coaching, facilities, and recruits. Regardless, we should be playing meaningful games in November. We should never have a season be pretty much over before October.

Then once every few years we should be in Atlanta with a chance to go to the playoff.

The bottom line: Auburn Football is way more fun when we have big games and are in the thick of the conversation. Seasons like this shouldn't happen with the resources we have, and they definitely shouldn't happen every 3 years or so.

I liked the 6 times in a row against Bama.

I agree. It's only been a recent phenomenon that we've had our eyes fixated on the national stage. I believe it's in part because of the recent success of that other team up-state. For most of my life Auburn had been very blue-collar, hard-nosed, play-your-heart-out football and as long as you beat Bama it's been a successful season.

I would prefer 10 10 win seasons with 10 shots at a championship!!

But between the 2, I would pick more consistently the 7 10 win seasons. It's better for the program.

This. Why settle for anything less. AU's biggest problem.

I liked the 6 times in a row against Bama.

I agree. It's only been a recent phenomenon that we've had our eyes fixated on the national stage. I believe it's in part because of the recent success of that other team up-state. For most of my life Auburn had been very blue-collar, hard-nosed, play-your-heart-out football and as long as you beat Bama it's been a successful season.

I've heard this exact statement made by some of my older family members. Honestly, if it took the recent success of uat to get the AU fanbase and the program in general to step up their game and realize that AU football doesn't hinge on the singular success of beating bammer then good on the turds for kicking AU to the next level.

Sure I think the rival having lots of success puts more pressure on AU to do well, but I think expectations for the program changed completely as soon as we won the BCS game against Oregon. It showed that national titles at AU are a realistic possibility in today's world as the last one was in 1957.

I will take 10 consecutive seasons with 15 wins & 10 NCs

Plus 10 straight SEC Championships too!

It's great to day dream. :)

7 10 win seasons.

It's really hard to win a championship for many reasons. From a statistical perspective, subjectivity and error will ALWAYS be part of the national championship. So called experts seem to be convinced that intuition rather than numbers is more valid and reliable. Furthermore, 1 game is not enough to determine which of two teams is truly better. Each team needs to play every other team multiple times for completely accurate results to happen. Beyond that and partially because of it, you need a bit of luck to win a national championship. Because of these things, the playoff will never generate unquestionable results. In other words, national championships are great, but (as we have all seen) you can win a national championship and not be the best team and you can have an off day and lose a game that pushes you out of the playoff.

Consistently having good seasons says a lot more about a team/coach than winning a national championship occasionally.

Which do I want? Well everyone should want championships every season. It's why you play the games.

Let me turn the conversation a little bit and since we are in the SEC West let me break it down to how I expect 10 year spans to go against our western division rivals...

Bama - 4 wins 6 loses - Until Saban is gone and his recruiting machine is as well it will be very tough to play .500 against them. It's just the way that it is for now.

LSU - 5 wins 5 loses - LSU is super talented but doesn't have he pedigree of the team mentioned above. So .500 against them should be attainable and holding home serve should be expected.

aTm - 6 wins 4 loses - We are a better brand and a better team throughout history therefore with good recruiting and good development we should hold the upper hand against the aggies over 10 years.

Ole Miss - 7 wins 3 loses - Ole miss is on the up tick but they should never be close to .500 against us over a 10 year span.

Arkansas - 7wins 3 loses - same as Ole Miss as they should never be close to us in a talent perspective

MSU - 8 wins 2 loses - Unless there are major issues for an extended time at Auburn the talent gap should be in the Tigers favor.

Breaking down individual seasons.

12-0 and 11-1 should be considered great seasons

10-2 and 9-3 should be generally the expected results for our Tigers

8-4 average season at best

7-5 below average

6-6 should only result during a new coaching season or major injury issues

5-7 or below should be unacceptable. We should and will always be more talented then 7 of our opponents.

One thing nobody has mentioned is the reason so many teams in the SEC are better than in the past. TV Money. As TV money has gotten bigger and bigger all the SEC teams have enough money for great facilities leveling the playing field a good bit in the recruiting race. Vandy and KY are recruiting better then in the past, Ole Miss and Miss state are recruiting better then in the past. Arkansas and Missouri pretty much have their own states in their back pockets without having to recruit against other in state big name programs. Texas A&M is in Texas with an SEC Pulling Card but still recruiting against a lot of other Texas Teams. Texas has a huge number of players. Why do you think Bama has had to go National to stay at the top in recruiting. Because of the increased competition it is getting harder and harder to be great year after year.

I will take having a shot at the title every 2-3 years with winning it at least once during a 10 year span.

Plus 10 straight SEC Championships too!

It's great to day dream. :)/>

I try to stay far away from day dreaming and stick to night dreaming! You can change the stars if you have the best telescope on your block!

One thing nobody has mentioned is the reason so many teams in the SEC are better than in the past. TV Money. As TV money has gotten bigger and bigger all the SEC teams have enough money for great facilities leveling the playing field a good bit in the recruiting race. Vandy and KY are recruiting better then in the past, Ole Miss and Miss state are recruiting better then in the past. Arkansas and Missouri pretty much have their own states in their back pockets without having to recruit against other in state big name programs. Texas A&M is in Texas with an SEC Pulling Card but still recruiting against a lot of other Texas Teams. Texas has a huge number of players. Why do you think Bama has had to go National to stay at the top in recruiting. Because of the increased competition it is getting harder and harder to be great year after year.

I will take having a shot at the title every 2-3 years with winning it at least once during a 10 year span.

I miss Sly Croom and Ed Orgeron (at Ole Miss, that is).

Archived