Period Shaming

Mims44

Figured I'd post this and see what people thought, I know this isn't the 1 liner +link that people are used to.... so bare with me.

At my campus this Thursday I got to witness a female take center stage at the circle outside the library (usually reserved for preachers telling everyone they are going to hell).

This girl went on a rant about "period shaming" that was inspired by a fellow college student letting her know she had bled through her clothes and that she might want to change to avoid embarrassment...

Her response was that the tyrannical patriarchy wanted her to be embarrassed about having a period because men do not have periods and therefore think that menstrual cycles should not exist in public. She made the point that all women have periods and since bleeding monthly was a natural process for women that she ( and all other women) should be able to bleed freely without ridicule, also that any true woman should not feel shame or embarrassment about bleeding in public. She then started down a list of what she thought was other ways the patriarchy held her down, starting with actual feminist issues and quickly degrading into more arguments like the 1st.

I stopped and listened to the whole bit, as derpness like this is a rarity and I rather enjoyed it. At first I thought to bring up public boners or to interject by getting erect in front of the crowd and then blaming the subsequent pointing, whispers, and jokes on the matriarchy... but of course I realized that logic had no place in collegiate debate.

*******************************************************************************************

What ended up happening I'm sure most of you guessed. Some people (women included) pointed out how crazy her rant was.

Which was retaliated against by chants of "Down the Patriarchy!" or something similar, it was hard to understand.

Within minutes a bunch of troll fratboys responded with chants of "Eff you B**ch!" (not spelling it exactly because I know we are a board for children.

Basically it was all just a big cluster of yelling within a few minutes... it made me think of you all though. As last time I pointed out that weird college feminists existed that wanted to derpily push the boundaries of feminism existed I was called a male chauvinist. So what do you all think?

(to whoever it was last time, don't bother quoting your wiki source, I remember that I am by your definition a male chauvinist pig just by posting this thread)

All people pee and poop too. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but if I wet or s*** my pants, I'd probably feel the need to change clothes to avoid embarrassment.

Woman runs Marathon Without Tampons to Protest Period Shaming.

But then I thought... If there’s one person society can’t eff with, it’s a marathon runner. You can’t tell a marathoner to clean themselves up, or to prioritize the comfort of others. On the marathon course, I could choose whether or not I wanted to participate in this norm of shaming.

1-jswLAl9egnuc1cNu7_CoYQ.jpeg

The thing about this stuff to me is that it ends up undermining genuine issues of gender stereotyping and sex discrimination. I say this seriously because I see and hate the ways that women I work with and admire have been subtlety marginalized or sidelined. I want my daughters to have the opportunity to advance and be taken seriously. I need not just my wife's support and love but her advice and counsel. She has such a sharp sense of how to approach things in the workplace, how to be professional and negotiate in the office. I've avoided so many pitfalls because of asking her for her input and heeding the advice she gives. So I pay attention to these matters.

But this is just stupid. And because it's so stupid, when it gets tied to feminism and to the issues that women face every day, it likely ends up turning off potential allies for real problems women face in society.

jeff, you win the "grossest-could have lived my entire life not seeing that" picture posted on this forum.

Wow, she really showed the patriarchy with that one. :rolleyes:

:lmao: Exactly.

What did she think she proved or improved with that picture/statement?

jeff, you win the "grossest-could have lived my entire life not seeing that" picture posted on this forum.

Well. I'm pretty sure that is why she is cutting the stigma.

Who's going to be the one to stand up against incontinence shaming?

I would def be all for someone being against flatulence shaming.

I hold that s*** in all the time in my classes, would love to free the beast all over some of my classmates one day, with no shame :lol:

Once this 'shaming ' b.s. got rolling, folks quickly figured they can just tack on the word ' shaming ' to any situation, activity, what ever, and be absolved of anyone criticizing them , least the criticizer be branded a 'hater, bigot, etc... ' .

How would you afford all the new clothes?

That's the other thing. Tampons and pads and such weren't developed because women were made to feel ashamed of their periods. It's to prevent one from ruining clothes or upholstery or having to change clothes when it's not convenient to do so. I do a good bit of the laundry in my house. Blood is hard as hell to get out of clothes.

The idiocy of some people makes my head hurt.

What next... Pedophile shaming ?

figured somebody would bring it up.

But, like period shaming, pedo shaming would be championed by a select few dumb college kids and condemned by the other 99.99999999999%

What next... Pedophile shaming ?

figured somebody would bring it up.

But, like period shaming, pedo shaming would be championed by a select few dumb college kids and condemned by the other 99.99999999999%

Well, gays make up 3-5 %, depending on who you believe, but you'd think they make up 1/2 the population with all the fuss that's being made over same sex marriage and such.

Archived