Jack Crowe: We aren't equipped to handle certain players

sogaaufan

During the same show that they discussed JUCO players, Jack Crowe made another point that I found interesting. He mentioned that many other programs have staffers that are assigned to manage some of these high maintenance players. His point was that teams like Bama, OSU, FSU, and others have ten Dukes on their team right now, they just do a better job of managing them. He said that often the amount of suck up that goes into recruiting these guys sets an expectation that can't be maintained once they get on the team.

My gut tells me that that is a road that we don't want to go down. What say you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having staff who's primary job is only to manage a select few and keep them from going off the rails is something I hope we never do. That's a recipe for disaster. No thanks, I'd prefer recruiting players who by and large can function like normal members of society and don't have to be coddled like that.

FSU did a good job of "handling" Jameis Winston? LSU did a good job of "handling" Honey Badger? We have grad assistants and others holding players hands and always have. I was asked to "help shadow" a player in the Dye era when Crow actually knew what was going on in the program. Easy to get them to exams on time and even call for dept help if they're getting drunk, harder to stop anger management issues (dress code? sunglasses? Really?)

I doubt the high maintenance players like having a keeper. If they had a keeper that keeper would have to be tougher than the high maintenance player.

This is not what college athletics should be about.

Players usually hang in groups, you're in the group at the dept.s request, no confrontation or even communication happens between you and the player. It may shock you to know the players always (in my experience) KNOW they have a "mentor". To say "that's not what college athletic should be all about" is probably true. But some of these guys - even at Yale and Stanford football I know for a fact - would not make it out of first semester without a babysitter. Only so much you can babysit.

I hear it was Duke's "keeper" who would not take off the sunglasses at the club.

I kid! I kid!

All those schools don't do a very good job...The CremiNoles have stuff come out against them every week. Ohio State had Tattoo gate. Alabama had those idiot who mugged someone to use a vending machine.

If that's the case we should do the same, it would still be trouble sometimes I suppose. Also everybody right now is so sensitive with this make believe our school is so much better than others, but getting in trouble doesn't equate to bad attitudes. Getting in trouble doesn't equate to harming a team. Also a player getting in trouble doesn't make a school better or worse than others

If that's the case we should do the same, it would still be trouble sometimes I suppose. Also everybody right now is so sensitive with this make believe our school is so much better than others, but getting in trouble doesn't equate to bad attitudes. Getting in trouble doesn't equate to harming a team. Also a player getting in trouble doesn't make a school better or worse than others

Wow.

Just a reminder.

Auburn is a center of higher education where students are extended the privilege of playing football up to the point that their education is free. Sorry, I'd rather be a perennial 7-5 team than a center for this type of player. Just my opinion - but how Gus has handled this is just as embarrassing as Jimbo's handling of Winston. If you do not think that this type of player has an effect on the team you are sadly mistaken. Payton Barber has busted his ass, spent a year as tackling fodder at practice, waited for his turn, done everything that was asked of him and earned his spot (which is obvious to everyone except our coach). Players who do this become disillusioned by players like Williams who are not allowed to practice and then 3 weeks later are miraculously back on the 1st string. What a joke.

Williams was so talented and was a difference maker. You roll the dice with these players. You remain patient hoping the light may come on which if it does it benefits both the player, team, school, fans, etc. unfortunately Gus rolled the dice and lost. I think every school does it...Saban and Meyer both did, and if they had not maybe they would not be polishing rings right now.

Wow.

Just a reminder.

Auburn is a center of higher education where students are extended the privilege of playing football up to the point that their education is free. Sorry, I'd rather be a perennial 7-5 team than a center for this type of player. Just my opinion - but how Gus has handled this is just as embarrassing as Jimbo's handling of Winston. If you do not think that this type of player has an effect on the team you are sadly mistaken. Payton Barber has busted his ass, spent a year as tackling fodder at practice, waited for his turn, done everything that was asked of him and earned his spot (which is obvious to everyone except our coach). Players who do this become disillusioned by players like Williams who are not allowed to practice and then 3 weeks later are miraculously back on the 1st string. What a joke.

That's fine, and I think you're mistaken. There isn't a team that some players don't get in trouble sometimes. You say you'd rather be 7-5 but you'd be on here complaining about that. Nobody even knows the details of everything to talk about "this type of player" as in life some will be successful and some won't. If you change on person's life isn't it worth it? Or no because you don't want to read about a guy getting in trouble....it's a guy on campus right now part of a frat that fights every other night but when the time comes they'll take the beer out of his hand clean him up, put a tie on him and I guess he'll be the perfect student? It's a big college everybody that goes to Auburn aren't people who haven't ever did anything wrong. He messed up, he's off the team. There's a guy who messed up and life is now better thanks to an opportunity, that's what being an institute of higher learning should be about.

newbie here... just a question, how many assistant "coaches" do our rivals have on staff, who are psychologists, etc.? Or do they have a larger number of staff just as guard dogs?

I don't know but that was his point. He was saying these other schools have hired a much larger staff and all they do is take care of these type of players. He further says, unless you have hired that large of a staff to handle them, don't take these type of players. I would agree with him and tend to fall on the "don't take them" side of the fence.

Wow.

Just a reminder.

I'm wondering if Gus' handling of the Duke situation has made a portion of our other players not give a crap about the rest of the season? I guess we'll see soon enough.

newbie here... just a question, how many assistant "coaches" do our rivals have on staff, who are psychologists, etc.? Or do they have a larger number of staff just as guard dogs?

I don't know but that was his point. He was saying these other schools have hired a much larger staff and all they do is take care of these type of players. He further says, unless you have hired that large of a staff to handle them, don't take these type of players. I would agree with him and tend to fall on the "don't take them" side of the fence.

Gus has been notorious for taking "these type of players" though ---- he'll even take other teams cast offs and win with them.

Wow.

Just a reminder.

peyton barber started the last 3 or 4 games, is leading the team in both yards and carries. He also plays a different position than Duke. I have seen more analogies that don't even run parallel to the point attempting to be made this week than I ever have.

If you produce nobody really cares. If you try to talk big but don't walk it that's when problems occur. Just about everybody that's a D1 athlete are arrogant to an extent

Every team has taken another player that has been I trouble...I would not say Gus has been notorious at it. Duke was a JC guy not a cast off. At least I am mistaken most transfers Gus has brought have met the expectation of the program....Tre, Nick, CAP, etc all good students and athletes

Every team has taken another player that has been I trouble...I would not say Gus has been notorious at it. Duke was a JC guy not a cast off. At least I am mistaken most transfers Gus has brought have met the expectation of the program....Tre, Nick, CAP, etc all good students and athletes

Correct, "notorious" is an extreme for sure.

Gus has been notorious for taking "these type of players" though ---- he'll even take other teams cast offs and win with them.

Yes that's true (I wouldn't use the word notorious) but according to Jack, not to the degree ( x "10 Dukes") that the programs he referred to were doing and says that is why they have the staffs to handle it. He also says we don't and of course his main point is unless you have the staff to handle very high maintenance players, don't even go down that road in the first place. Valid points if all that is accurate.

I hear it was Duke's "keeper" who would not take off the sunglasses at the club.

I kid! I kid!

Yep! He "kept" his glasses on.

Why should we care what JC thinks? Also, how does he know the inner workings of all these different programs to the point that he knows who is babysitting who? I'm betting he doesn't and he's just guessing on who does what. We should take this claim with a huge grain of sand IYAM

Doesn't UAT have over 300 people in football operations? Not counting players.

Archived