In search of a "team" approach

StatTiger

• Over the past 25 years Auburn has averaged 12.6 offensive possessions per game. Through 5 games into the 2015 season, Auburn has averaged only 10.2 possessions per game. This is the lowest number of possessions by an Auburn offense during this time period. It is even lower than the 2006 season (10.4), the season the NCAA changed the clock rules that basically took away 2-3 possessions per game in the name of shortening the game.

• The fewer number of offensive possessions has hurt the Auburn offense. Rather than 343.8 yards per game, the Auburn offense would be averaging 424.6 yards per game with 12.6 possessions per game. Rather than 24.1 PPG, Auburn would be averaging 29.8 PPG.

• What has limited Auburn's offensive opportunities? The Auburn defense is struggling to get off the field. This season 49 percent of the possessions defended have netted at least 7 plays. Last season it was only 31 percent. The Auburn defense is currently allowing 37.5 yards per possession, which is the worst average by an Auburn defense the past 25 seasons. The average allowed over the past 25 seasons is 26.9 yards per possession.

• Though the defense has limited the number of opportunities for the offense, the offense must share some of the responsibility for a 3-2 start to the season. The offense is scoring a touchdown on 27.5 percent of their possessions, tenth best among the last 25 Auburn offenses. The 2015 Auburn offense is currently averaging 5.31 yards per play, which is 16th best among the last 25 Auburn offenses.

• So which unit has struggled the most? In terms of points per possession, the Auburn offense is 11th among the last 25 Auburn offenses. The defense is 23rd among the last 25 Auburn defenses. In terms of yards gained and allowed per possession, the Auburn offense is 7th among the last 25 Auburn offense while the defense is dead last over the past 25 seasons. In terms of plays per possession, the 2015 Auburn offense is No. 1 among the last 25 Auburn offenses, while the defense is dead last among the last 25 Auburn defenses.

As much as I have advocated wanting to see the Auburn offense open up and pass more on first down, the above data might indicate the coaches strategy we have seen during the past several games. Both Gus Malzahn and Will Muschamp stated before the season how vital it would be for both units to scheme "together" based on performance, which would mean game day adjustments as each game progresses. The coaching staff also emphasized the importance of the team improving as the season progressed. Because certain areas struggled more so than expected, the coaching staff were forced to adjust during the season.

The conservative approach we have witnessed on offense is likely the result of a higher number of turnovers on offense than expected and the failures of the defense to end drives. This is not to say the offense should remain conservative, but I do believe the coaching staff is trying to do what they can to increase their probability of victory as the game plays out. An ugly victory is certainly worth far more than an exciting loss. The primary goal of any coaching staff should be to place their personnel in the best setting to succeed. Because the passing game is struggling, we are seeing the RB's utlized more so in the pass-offense.

With the limited number of offensive possessions, there is more pressure to score and not make mistakes. Because there is a higher probability to turn the ball over throwing the football, it might explain the stubbornness to lean heavily upon the running game. Last week we saw more creative ways to strengthen the run-offense (Wildcat, OL player moved to TE) and this will likely continue. The rotation of quarterbacks certainly doesn't breed much confidence in the pass-offense at this point. It will be interesting to see if the offense opens up if the defense begins to play better. Until that moment, I expect the offense to remain in a conservative mode in an attempt to strive for consistency in what they have done the best and to protect the defense until they can stand on their own two feet.

Thanks for the informative post.If the WR's continue to not block effectively for the run game and screen passes they should all be replaced with linemen and commit totally to running the ball.

Thanks for the informative post.If the WR's continue to not block effectively for the run game and screen passes they should all be replaced with linemen and commit totally to running the ball.

And run Wildcat every play.

The non-blocking of the WRs is just one small part of everything that is so wrong with the way this team runs screen passes; we should just forget trying those.

Also, in this offense, is there even a difference between a TE and a lineman? Size, I guess...

Isn't this approach the reason Gus left AU in the 1st place? We take away what I thought was a core aspect of this offense in fast pace and now we are no threat on offense or defense.

Isn't this approach the reason Gus left AU in the 1st place? We take away what I thought was a core aspect of this offense in fast pace and now we are no threat on offense or defense.

Can't go tempo until they find consistency on 1st down. When the offense is struggling you find what you do well and build upon it.

Stat, if our number of offensive possessions is down from 12.6 to 10.4, is the number of opponents offensive possessions increased or is their possessions down as well?

Stat, if our number of offensive possessions is down from 12.6 to 10.4, is the number of opponents offensive possessions increased or is their possessions down as well?

Defense is down from the average of 12.7 to 11.0 per game.

In order to justify the conservative play calling moving forward, we are going to need a lot of help. Running the ball is great so long as it is a) successful on first down and 2) leading to big plays down the field. We will not be successful until we show an ability to create and execute on impact plays. Otherwise we'll become completely one dimensional, and I expect that the ability to drive the ball that you mentioned will be significantly curtailed against the heavy competition left on our schedule. Likewise, our defense is going to have to eliminate big plays on the other side of the ball. I do not doubt that we may see another run heavy campaign against Kentucky, but unless we show an ability to create big plays down the field, we are going to find ourselves on the short end of some lopsided games against Alabama, A&M, Ole Miss and Georgia.

In order to justify the conservative play calling moving forward, we are going to need a lot of help. Running the ball is great so long as it is a) successful on first down and 2) leading to big plays down the field. We will not be successful until we show an ability to create and execute on impact plays. Otherwise we'll become completely one dimensional, and I expect that the ability to drive the ball that you mentioned will be significantly curtailed against the heavy competition left on our schedule. Likewise, our defense is going to have to eliminate big plays on the other side of the ball. I do not doubt that we may see another run heavy campaign against Kentucky, but unless we show an ability to create big plays down the field, we are going to find ourselves on the short end of some lopsided games against Alabama, A&M, Ole Miss and Georgia.

The conservative approach is not the long term plan. It is a building phase to establish a foundation to build upon. Right now the strength of this offense is the ground game. It has to be as consistent as possible to build upon. I am well aware of the need for impact plays, having posted the data on here numerous occasions. I'm quite sure Malzahn knows this too, it is his offense afterall. I believe this is a period the 2015 offense is learning to walk before it can run.

Winning these next 2 games is vital to make it to a bowl game to garner those extra 15 days of practice. Winning ugly is just fine with me based on this teams current status and situation.

If we run on first down 100%of the time, good defenses will be ready. If we play action pass about 50% of time we can be successful. Coaches gotta know that.

If we run on first down 100%of the time, good defenses will be ready. If we play action pass about 50% of time we can be successful. Coaches gotta know that.

Passes = DANGER

Since we're trying to keep the total number of passes down, we're saving them for '3rd and 9' situations (also known as "the play before the punting").

Of course they do.

The conservative approach is not the long term plan. It is a building phase to establish a foundation to build upon. Right now the strength of this offense is the ground game. It has to be as consistent as possible to build upon. I am well aware of the need for impact plays, having posted the data on here numerous occasions. I'm quite sure Malzahn knows this too, it is his offense afterall. I believe this is a period the 2015 offense is learning to walk before it can run.

Winning these next 2 games is vital to make it to a bowl game to garner those extra 15 days of practice. Winning ugly is just fine with me based on this teams current status and situation.

Wasn't a criticism of your post Stat, just my thoughts in general. Keep em' coming.

I think our weakest link comes from leadership. Now, I know this isn't a completely new ideal it is prevalent in my head. There seems to be a vicious cycle of issues.Offense isn't getting enough possessions because defense isn't getting off of the field. As far as I see it defense is less inspired with the lack of performance on offense.

I could be way off base. However, remembering my times on defense we always played a lot better when the offense was productive. It tells the defense that their stops actually matter. Nothing is more frustrating than creating a turnover and watching the offense not capitalizing and having to go right back out.

Passes = DANGER

Since we're trying to keep the total number of passes down, we're saving them for '3rd and 9' situations (also known as "the play before the punting").

I don't know how we run as well as we do with absolutely no threat of a passing game.Who knows a pass or two on first down may help the running game as well.If I were coaching against us I would load the box every first down or every down as far as that goes until we showed we could pass.

Archived