2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

The more I see and read about this kid, the more I'm reminded of Nick Marshall. I don't know if he can throw worth a salt, but if his arm's good enough, he's got incredible speed.

Gus was bragging about his throwing ability today. I'm going to fight the urge to reference his read on JJ last year. :)/>

We have some serious receivers now for whoever steps up. Looks like at least 2 of the freshmen could have some impact this coming year.

Not sure I would categorize Malzahn's comments on JFIII's throwing as 'bragging'.

What he actually said is..." we THINK he throws the ball well...". Sorry but that is not bragging. That is saying they think he can be a good passer. If you look at his video he wasnt asked to throw much. He will need a lot of work to be the kind of passer that is accurate and makes the right decisions. That will determine if he wins the starting job and based on in game play...keeps it. He will not be the starter long if he cant throw consistent or makes mistakes. (INTs).

It is too early to tell..because I remember going to the A-day game Cam Newton played in...and he was TERRIBLE. So who knows...

That's about as much as Gus gives anybody....it was bragging

JJ was pre-season Second Team All SEC....I don't think he would have been rated that high without some serious "input" to the media people from our coaching staff. JMO

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I see and read about this kid, the more I'm reminded of Nick Marshall. I don't know if he can throw worth a salt, but if his arm's good enough, he's got incredible speed.

Gus was bragging about his throwing ability today. I'm going to fight the urge to reference his read on JJ last year. :)/>

We have some serious receivers now for whoever steps up. Looks like at least 2 of the freshmen could have some impact this coming year.

Not sure I would categorize Malzahn's comments on JFIII's throwing as 'bragging'.

What he actually said is..." we THINK he throws the ball well...". Sorry but that is not bragging. That is saying they think he can be a good passer. If you look at his video he wasnt asked to throw much. He will need a lot of work to be the kind of passer that is accurate and makes the right decisions. That will determine if he wins the starting job and based on in game play...keeps it. He will not be the starter long if he cant throw consistent or makes mistakes. (INTs).

It is too early to tell..because I remember going to the A-day game Cam Newton played in...and he was TERRIBLE. So who knows...

That's about as much as Gus gives anybody....it was bragging

JJ was pre-season Second Team All SEC....I don't think he would have been rated that high without some serious "input" to the media people from our coaching staff. JMO

I agree and if that doesn't make you question our coaching staff's evaluation credentials then..;...

wde

Sounds like the Cam/Nick type confidence everyone is asking for

"Competition brings out the best in everybody," Franklin said. "All I ever wanted was an opportunity. I feel like that's what I'm getting. I can do the rest."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020416aab.html

DC has been working with him.

"Has been" "will be"....or none of the above.....do we actually know whether CDC was/ is/ will be....our sub rosa QB coach ?

All I can say is DC is working with him...so I've been told

wouldnt that be a violation?

He won't be doing any coaching or working on field. He can work with him on a limited basis on film study.

"Has been" "will be"....or none of the above.....do we actually know whether CDC was/ is/ will be....our sub rosa QB coach ?

He won't be doing any coaching or working on field. He can work with him on a limited basis on film study.

Why would a field coaching on the field be a violation?

Every one of our QB's can throw the ball. Some may be able to throw 70 yards and some only 55 or 60 yards, You seldom need to throw over 30 yards in a game. You need enough arm strength to thow the sideline route with some zip.

You're certainly right about that, but I think that the sideline route has less to do with arm strength and more to do with accuracy (a given) and mostly with CONFIDENCE. That confidence in ability to throw it where the receiver isn't yet, the confidence to not double-clutch the ball or to second-guess yourself. So much of JJs problems last year, IMO, was that second-guessing...it was like he would get through 70% of a throw and then freak out about how it was about to go wrong, which made it go wrong.

That confidence also comes from consistency and rapport with the receivers. Here's to hoping those 3 freshmen can come in and immediately show they've got hands and heart. That will show whichever QB that they should have the confidence to throw it to where they want the receiver to be and the receiver will go there and get it.

Sounds like the Cam/Nick type confidence everyone is asking for

"Competition brings out the best in everybody," Franklin said. "All I ever wanted was an opportunity. I feel like that's what I'm getting. I can do the rest."

http://www.auburntig.../020416aab.html

That is what we want to hear...got the right attitude.

Why would a field coaching on the field be a violation?

I think he means with this being the offseason.

Sean White is going to graduate from Auburn as the QB with whom AU fans had a love/hate relationship. His dedication & promise can't be denied but he's going to get thrown around like a rag doll every time he tries to scramble against SEC defenses so he'll have his share of fumbles & injuries.

We need another QB to step up IMO.

Sean White is going to graduate from Auburn as the QB with whom AU fans had a love/hate relationship. His dedication & promise can't be denied but he's going to get thrown around like a rag doll every time he tries to scramble against SEC defenses so he'll have his share of fumbles & injuries.

That is far from a given. Everybody keeps acting like he's some tiny scrub. It's been pointed out ad nauseam- and accurately- that Sean is every bit as big and mobile as several guys who were very successful for multiple years at the college level. I really don't understand where your line of thinking- which you share with a lot of people- came from.

What's really funny is that a lot of people who share your opinion think that 170lb Franklin is our savior.

That is far from a given. Everybody keeps acting like he's some tiny scrub. It's been pointed out ad nauseam- and accurately- that Sean is every bit as big and mobile as several guys who were very successful for multiple years at the college level. I really don't understand where your line of thinking- which you share with a lot of people- came from.

What's really funny is that a lot of people who share your opinion think that 170lb Franklin is our savior.

The savior thing is funny because a lot of AU fans talk about JF3 like the UGA fans are talking about Jacob Eason. We both have saviors coming to save our programs. One is a high school kid who has never played in a college game before and one is Juco kid who hasn't played real SEC football either. Gonna be interesting.

The next guy or the backup is always better until reality hits you in the face. We can dream, we can conjecture, we can pontificate, but then the players hit the field and start playing that is when you learn who are the saviors who are the average joes, and who don't have the right stuff as far as football goes.

I don't see JF3 as a savior but i sure am happy he's an option for us at QB. I'm one that believes either Sean or JF3 can lead us to the playoffs IF Gus and Rhett can manage to stop being stubborn and make a game plan geared to whoever the QB will be. If they are not willing to make any adjustments especially for Sean i don't think we'll see the full capacity of his talents. At least JF3 gives you some athletic ability to elude defenders and improvise. Sean is a good QB and has decent mobility.

Is that how the pre season awards work...? Serious input from coaches to the media. Does that same principle apply to all the SEC schools? Jeremy looked the part physically, and whenever he relieved Nick he looked great...that and the fact he had been here for two years probably had way more to do with his preseason hype than anything else.

Bragged/complimented/whatever. Obviously, he has a lot of work to do, anyone that knows anything about him knows that. Even more obviously, he won't be the starter unless he plays and throws very well.

My point was in response to the post I quoted, which stated they weren't sure if he could throw worth a salt. You might want to consider context when quoting people. Not sure what you read from my post that made you feel the need to go all captain obvious on it.

Over the years there have been very few Auburn QBs who did not have a solid corp of detractors who badgered them a good part of their careers. Nothing new.....

That's true but SW badgering is exaggerated beyond measure. The worst thing anybody has ever said about him on this forum is they don't see him being the starter......SW has been the most protected qb that I've seen on here as far as critiquing him

That's true but SW badgering is exaggerated beyond measure. The worst thing anybody has ever said about him on this forum is they don't see him being the starter......SW has been the most protected qb that I've seen on here as far as critiquing him

I'm confused, are you criticizing the lack of "badgering" or saying he gets too much of it?

The savior thing is funny because a lot of AU fans talk about JF3 like the UGA fans are talking about Jacob Eason. We both have saviors coming to save our programs. One is a high school kid who has never played in a college game before and one is Juco kid who hasn't played real SEC football either. Gonna be interesting.

I may be way wrong but anyone thinking JF3 accomplished much playing QB in juco is delusional. Nick Marshall was much, much more of a sure thing coming in that JF3 is. It was obvious that NM was going to be better than our QB options in 2013 and would be the starter from day one. I don't think JF3 fits that same description. i do think either JF3 or SW will be the starting QB in 2016, but JF3 is a very poor man's NM at this point in terms of his QB play at juco.

wde

There is an interesting read on the Auburn forum on the Secrant site. It is a read from 2 college coaches, one from the JC level and one a D1 coach. They go into detail on our class. It is a very favorable article on our kids. When they wrote about JF3, they were very complementary. Said his speed is crazy, like Cory Grant type of speed. Also said he could sling it. They expected him to start next year and said he was the most important person we signed this year. Interesting.

I'm confused, are you criticizing the lack of "badgering" or saying he gets too much of it?

I'm not criticizing anything, I'm saying what I said, he doesn't really get any hate unless you're saying a person saying he may not be the starter hate.

He's had one season and was hurt most of it. Kind of pointless to badger a freshman who was playing on one leg and guts.....JMO.

I'm not criticizing anything, I'm saying what I said, he doesn't really get any hate unless you're saying a person saying he may not be the starter hate.

He doesn't deserve any hate. Neither did or does J Johnson. Had Gus/Rhett done their job, they would have know J Johnson was not the QB everyone (including Gus) was proclaiming him to be. SW was the better QB on the field in 2015. I believe the coaching staff screwed up with him against MSU by being too conservative. SW certainly was not outstanding either.

If you want to argue that SW is not the QB to lead us to championships (given our coaching staff on O) then I will agree with you. It was painfully obvious that neither was J. Johnson. We can only hope that JF3 is Nick lite.

wde

I just watched JFIII's hudl highlights. He's certainly fast, but I don't know if my heart and stomach can take a full season of him running with the football like that. I'm already screaming "TUCK IT! TUCK IT!" and I'm just watching film.

Archived