Conversation piece

hewlejd

I like plots because they help me organize and absorb multiple pieces of related information simultaneously, which makes it easier to see basic trends and formulate/draw conclusions. I also think they are interesting because while they contain factual, non-subjective information, people can still draw highly subjective and differing conclusions from them. Anyway, I thought I would post one I made recently to see how your thoughts compare with mine. So please, discuss.

gallery_46581_199_10719.png

EDIT: There was an error in the defensive yds/gm for '15. Should be accurate now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that would be very valuable to add to this is the average for the SEC and average for the NCAA each year. That would show how performance compares to trends in football in general. For instance, the number of yards/game has gone up across the board.

Something you might be seeing here is the cycle of experienced Offensive Lines. It would be interesting to see if Stat could pull numbers on that and compare them to the years that we have significantly more yards.

One thing that would be very valuable to add to this is the average for the SEC and average for the NCAA each year. That would show how performance compares to trends in football in general. For instance, the number of yards/game has gone up across the board.

Added the NCAA average.

Something you might be seeing here is the cycle of experienced Offensive Lines. It would be interesting to see if Stat could pull numbers on that and compare them to the years that we have significantly more yards.

That hadn't occurred to me. I would be interested in seeing that as well, if Stat can track down the numbers.

Added the NCAA average.

I assume that's the offensive average? I guess you can never say Auburn is average... we're either well above or well below.

This is very interesting. This further proves that this season is the not 3-9 season of 2012. Nonetheless, it is not good.

Even more, it shows that we are statistically better than an 8-5 2011... which supports the "the ball hasn't bounced our way" theory that many are espousing.

I always said if we just had an average D in 2013 we would've won the national championship but it looks like we did have an average D.

One thing I was really surprised by is the fact that the 3rd worst offense we've fielded in the last 12 years ('06) still managed an 11-2 record. Goes to show what a stout defense can do for you. I was also struck by the marked decline in defense after Tuberville left.

I think due to the trend of the last 6-7 years, we as fans have resigned ourselves to believing that, if we are going to field a competitive football team, we are going to need to have a high-powered, elite-level offense. People are up in arms and ready to fire Malzahn because this year's team is not meeting those expectations. However, there is still the possibility that muschamp will get us back to playing Tuberville era type of defense, in which case even this year's offense would be good enough to be competitive in the division. It may be true that defenses have caught up with his offensive scheme and the consistent 500 yds/game days may be behind us. But, we may also find that in the long run that's ultimately not the only blueprint that he can use to have success. Just a thought.

I always said if we just had an average D in 2013 we would've won the national championship but it looks like we did have an average D.

I think those averages are for O, not D.

It is interesting that people blame 2014 on D, but the D actually improved... it's just that the O dropped off just as much as the D improved.

Added the NCAA average.

I assume that's the offensive average? I guess you can never say Auburn is average... we're either well above or well below.

Offensive, but since the total yards gained have to be equal to the total yards given up, they are essentially equivalent (except for the hand full of games between FBS and FCS teams, but that probably wouldn't effect the number much). For practical purposes its probably safe to assume its both.

One thing I was really surprised by is the fact that the 3rd worst offense we've fielded in the last 12 years ('06) still managed an 11-2 record. Goes to show what a stout defense can do for you. I was also struck by the marked decline in defense after Tuberville left.

I think due to the trend of the last 6-7 years, we as fans have resigned ourselves to believing that, if we are going to field a competitive football team, we are going to need to have a high-powered, elite-level offense. People are up in arms and ready to fire Malzahn because this year's team is not meeting those expectations. However, there is still the possibility that muschamp will get us back to playing Tuberville era type of defense, in which case even this year's offense would be good enough to be competitive in the division. It may be true that defenses have caught up with his offensive scheme and the consistent 500 yds/game days may be behind us. But, we may also find that in the long run that's ultimately not the only blueprint that he can use to have success. Just a thought.

I still think we can have both. Get Sean out there with a couple of sure handed wide receivers and Jovon carrying the rock behind an experienced O-line, and we could totally be killing the 500 yard mark AND have a great D. In fact, with a clicking Malzahn O and a dominating Muschamp D, we could hit 6 or even 700 yards.

I think those averages are for O, not D.

It is interesting that people blame 2014 on D, but the D actually improved... it's just that the O dropped off just as much as the D improved.

Ah I misread it. Good call.

I still think we can have both. Get Sean out there with a couple of sure handed wide receivers and Jovon carrying the rock behind an experienced O-line, and we could totally be killing the 500 yard mark AND have a great D. In fact, with a clicking Malzahn O and a dominating Muschamp D, we could hit 6 or even 700 yards.

I kind of agree with that. SW with more practice and experience, then we can see if he can put more TDs up there.

I kind of agree with that. SW with more practice and experience, then we can see if he can put more TDs up there.

Heck, I don't care if Sean never throws another TD in his career, as long as he puts Jovon or another back in the right position to pound it in. We're literally some good blocking away from being unstoppable.

Heck, I don't care if Sean never throws another TD in his career, as long as he puts Jovon or another back in the right position to pound it in. We're literally some good blocking away from being unstoppable.

Sorry. Good D's can stop a running game every now and then. If we dont put some passing TDs up there to make a team honest in defending, then we are not going to be able to just do it with pounding with RBs.

Sorry. Good D's can stop a running game every now and then. If we dont put some passing TDs up there to make a team honest in defending, then we are not going to be able to just do it with pounding with RBs.

Good Ds can stop the running game frequently, but if your passing can get you to 1st and goal on the 1 or even within the 5, the likelihood of being stopped, if you have good blocking, is pretty low. Now, the odds of receivers getting stopped within 5-yards of the goal line, every time, are huge, but if that was what happened, Sean would still have done a good job.

Good Ds can stop the running game frequently, but if your passing can get you to 1st and goal on the 1 or even within the 5, the likelihood of being stopped, if you have good blocking, is pretty low. Now, the odds of receivers getting stopped within 5-yards of the goal line, every time, are huge, but if that was what happened, Sean would still have done a good job.

I agree here too, but if you have first and goals outside the 5 yd line, your QB has to be able to get it into the EZ too. We also need that QB that can stretch the field, so that D's don't crowd the LOS. We don't need White to throw it over 30 times, just find ways to make a big play every now and then, but mostly put TDs up and not FGs.

Referring to our current situation, it would be very instructive to split the defensive numbers into season halves.

If you split the first half of 2014 from the second half, you will see a vastly improved defense and then a really, truly dreadful defense.

If you split the first half of 2015 from the second half, you will see the opposite.

Referring to our current situation, it would be very instructive to split the defensive numbers into season halves.

If you split the first half of 2014 from the second half, you will see a vastly improved defense and then a really, truly dreadful defense.

If you split the first half of 2015 from the second half, you will see the opposite.

You are correct about 2014. However, if you look at the schedule, the trend looks like it's more likely a function of the opponent than the ability/effort of the defense.

2015 shows no real trend except that the last 2 games have been significantly better (it's worth noting that the 2 game improvement coincided with the return of Carl Lawson). If the defense performs well against Alabama and whoever we face in the bowl, then I would be more confident in calling it a trend.

If you're interested:

gallery_46581_199_27742.png

I'm pretty sure i can conclude from this graft that Leoffler was a really bad off coord. and that i really miss Tubs defense.....

You're very observative (yeah, it's a word), and I agree about Tubs.

Archived