Idaho Game Report Card

StatTiger

Auburn is now bowl eligible which was the primary goal for the Idaho game. I was actually pleased with the spirit of the players, especially in a game against a weaker opponent. Of course execution was a different issue, especially on the defensive side of the football. Considering the opponent, this was perhaps the worst defensive performance of the season. Just when it appeared the defense was finally taking the right steps forward, they took a major step backwards with their performance today. It was disappointing to see Auburn finish the game with only a +1 in the tackle for loss battle. It all started up front, where the DL totaled only 12 tackles for the game. They averaged 17.5 per game coming into the Idaho game.

The offense had its best report card of the season with a perfect 15 of 15. Jeremy Johnson played well based on what he was asked to do against the Vandals. Though he attempted only 19 passes, 7 were in the intermediate and long range, which was more than a third of his attempts. The game plan itself was very vanilla, which was to be expected. Jovon Robinson continues to show he is indeed the best runner of ALL the current running backs with 99-yards in one-half of play. It will be interesting to see what direction Coach Gus Malzahn goes when deciding the starting quarterback against Alabama. I fear he will attempt to play both in some form of rotation. If Sean White is truly healthy, I would go with White but if not, build the game plan around Johnson's strengths. Auburn desperately needs another WR to step up in the "vertical" game.

Special teams had their 11th consecutive passing grade though punting continues to be an issue. If Auburn is to pull the upset over Alabama, special teams will be needed to play a major role.

Game #11 Statistical Evaluation (Idaho Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.74] pass

02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [53.8%] pass

03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [5.82] pass

04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [50.0%] pass

05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [21.4%] pass

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [8.58 yds] pass

07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] pass

08) TD red zone above 60%: [100.0%] pass

09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [32.8 yds] pass

10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [62.9%] pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [7 /0] pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [10.0] pass

13) At least 8 impact plays: [8] pass

14) At least 2 big plays: [2] pass

15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [175.2] pass

Score: 15 of 15 (100.0%) PASS

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [6.13] fail

02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [44.4%] fail

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [3.32] pass

04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [42.8%] fail

05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [42.8%] pass

06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [7.42 yds] pass

07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [83.3%] fail

08) TD red zone below 60%: [66.7%] fail

09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [34.2 yds] fail

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [56.5%] fail

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [4 / 3] pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [21.2] fail

13) Less than 8 impact plays: [10] fail

14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [2] fail

15) Pass rating below 125.0: [121.3] pass

Score: 5 of 15 (33.3%) FAIL

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [37.0] 0 inside 20 FAIL

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [0.0] FAIL

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [19.3] pass

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [32.8] pass

6) PAT’s (100%): [8 of 8] pass

7) FG Pct (75% or above): [N/A]

Score: 4 of 6 (66.7%) PASS

* Keep in mind that above 50% is a passing score.

War Eagle!

# 14 on defense. It says no more than 2 big plats allowed yet we only allowed 2. Shouldn't that be a win since it's not more than 2?

By the way, this is by far my favorite after game topic that I look forward to. Thank you stat! War Eagle!

Offense looked good against a very bad defense. The defense did not look good especially after the backups entered the game. We obviously don't have much depth on that side of the ball. Andrew Williams did look good maybe he can contribute next year.

# 14 on defense. It says no more than 2 big plats allowed yet we only allowed 2. Shouldn't that be a win since it's not more than 2?

By the way, this is by far my favorite after game topic that I look forward to. Thank you stat! War Eagle!

Yep.

And, although I agree that the defense took a step backwards this game, I'm a little surprised Stat didn't give them a bonus point for the 3 TOs.

Same with the ST -- no bonus point for the successful fake punt.

Overall, though, this report card reflects my feelings about the game pretty well.

I'm really hoping we just go with JJ and don't try any sort of rotation or 2-QB game plan. That hasn't worked well for us all season. Just let JJ play and gameplan around him. Let Sean heal.

Always nice to see the stat analysis...but I don't put much faith in the meaning of them as regards the bama game......nothing will translate and the D seemed to be shuffling people around, playing the entire bench, etc. Frankly , I thought the O would be sharper....but the only significance was to get bowl eligible.....JMO

While I will agree Idaho is not a world beaters, they play in the conference with ULM and Troy, both of who they beat. Troy actually beat Charleston Southern almost as bad as uat and Idaho beat Troy at their house. Also I am sure that as much as Paul's brother hates us, he was on the phone helping him to prepare all week for us (probably all year). Also Idaho had nothing to lose so they went for the fence on every play. I think the team did well not looking forward to this week. I like what I see. JJ is getting more comfortable. He made some very good reads on the option. His pop pass on the run was also a good play. Defense should have played man, but this week they need to go zone, Coker will give up some INTs this week. Henry is a back that will go down when hit, especially in the backfield ( if you don't believe it go back and watch a MTSU player knock him 5 yards back on his can, when they played). He makes his yards when the O-line is blowing holes open. CWM needs to stunt the line and LBs have to fill the gaps. We need to make them put the game in Coker's hands, then we can win it. On offense, we have to use the outside. uat's strength on defense is the inside run game and pressure on the delayed passes. Quick passes and sweeps are needed. nick has been swapping his big and small package a lot on D so we have to run up-tempo to not let him swap. Their D backs are their weak point. AU has a good chance if they play a solid game on both sides. Contrary to popular opinion uat is not that good, the SEC has just been that weak (see this week when two had to play CFS teams in OT and another lost to one. Arky go beat by Toledo and Ole Miss got beat by Memphis). Beat uat. WDE

If Gus plays Jeremy and Sean with his bad leg, there's no hope. However, if Gus plays Jeremy but have Jonathan or Kerryon or even Tucker ready to take over, then that could work better.

Offense looked good against a very bad defense.

This. One of my friends kept asking why AU wasn't making offensive plays like that all season, and I continually had to point out that we were playing Idaho. He got it by the end of the game.

The defense did not look good especially after the backups entered the game. We obviously don't have much depth on that side of the ball. Andrew Williams did look good maybe he can contribute next year.

Does anyone have any theories as to why they D took the game off? Carl, Monty, and Cass should have been all over their QB, and if we can stop A&M's QB from running, we should have been able to stop theirs. Maybe we were just resting up for the Iron Bowl?

Hopefully, the defense will be more focused and inspired against Bama than Idaho. The uncalled holding penalties that the D lined endured during the Idaho game could have had an effect on Carl, Monty and Cass' performance.

The uncalled holding penalties that the D lined endured during the Idaho game could have had an effect on Carl, Monty and Cass' performance.

That's the truth... I about lost it when Carl got tackled from behind on one of their big plays and the ref did nothing.

Offense looked good against a very bad defense.

This. One of my friends kept asking why AU wasn't making offensive plays like that all season, and I continually had to point out that we were playing Idaho. He got it by the end of the game.

The defense did not look good especially after the backups entered the game. We obviously don't have much depth on that side of the ball. Andrew Williams did look good maybe he can contribute next year.

Does anyone have any theories as to why they D took the game off? Carl, Monty, and Cass should have been all over their QB, and if we can stop A&M's QB from running, we should have been able to stop theirs. Maybe we were just resting up for the Iron Bowl?

The 50 uncalled holding penalties didn't help. It seemed like every big play for Idaho had a huge uncalled hold. That was the worst officiating I've seen in several years (aside from the 2014 MSU game). I just don't think anyone is really complaining because we blew them out anyway.

The 50 uncalled holding penalties didn't help. It seemed like every big play for Idaho had a huge uncalled hold. That was the worst officiating I've seen in several years (aside from the 2014 MSU game). I just don't think anyone is really complaining because we blew them out anyway.

All you had to do was look at how it took them 5 minutes to make a freaking holding call when they did throw a flag and you knew these refs were in WAY over their heads. That being said, if you think we got held on every play in that game, just wait until Saturday.

I think it would be hilarious if the Auburn textiles department developed a jersey that showed hand prints if they were gripped for more than a second or two. At the end of the game, they could show the SEC the prints all over the bottoms of the D-Lines jerseys, just to make a point.

All you had to do was look at how it took them 5 minutes to make a freaking holding call and you knew these refs were in WAY over their heads. That being said, if you think we got held on every play in that game, just wait until Saturday.

Nah....the refs figured a good SEC team should beat an Idaho easily, holding or not....so why slow the game down with a bunch of penalties....just let 'em play and get the game over with. But....that experience might have been good practice for the IB 'cause we sure know those bama linemen will be grabbing jerseys all afternoon long.

All you had to do was look at how it took them 5 minutes to make a freaking holding call and you knew these refs were in WAY over their heads. That being said, if you think we got held on every play in that game, just wait until Saturday.

Nah....the refs figured a good SEC team should beat an Idaho easily, holding or not....so why slow the game down with a bunch of penalties....just let 'em play and get the game over with. But....that experience might have been good practice for the IB 'cause we sure know those bama linemen will be grabbing jerseys all afternoon long.

I edited my post to be more clear. I was referring to how they had to stand around and chat about the most basic of calls when they did throw a flag.

I edited my post to be more clear. I was referring to how they had to stand around and chat about the most basic of calls when they did throw a flag.

I noticed that too...figured it was the JV refs for a game that was about at the bottom of the list of important SEC games that day. Gotta give the rookies a chance to call a game in front of a big crowd. I was just responding to the general complaints about the calls not being made....

BUT.....Saturday, on CBS prime time...we get the first team of refs and our favorite announcers too....just can't wait.... :-\

Defensive stats for the Idaho game do not look very good. However, watching the game in person, it didn't seem terrible. Gave up some big plays and didn't get to the QB like I would have liked. Still it was 56-20 before wholesale substitutions on O and D. I think Petrino had a good gameplan and did not come with intentions to just collect a paycheck. I also think, believe it or not, the D was looking past Idaho and gearing up for the Updykes.

Archived