Ricardo Louis TD breakdown

StatTiger

The Auburn offense went 6 for 6 inside the red zone against the Vandals, scoring touchdowns on all six possessions. One of the best plays of the game (offense) was the play-action pass Auburn executed inside the red zone.

The play...

Idaho%20-%20Louis%20TD_zpskfohccu7.jpg

On this play the Auburn offense faces a 2nd & 14 at the Vandal 15 yard line. Auburn comes out in a tight set to sell the run look. Idaho reacts with 9-men in the box. Ricardo Louis is the only WR split out, lined up on the boundary side. At the snap, Jeremy Johnson fakes the sweep to Ryan Davis as Peyton Barber swings out of the backfield. The boundary corner bites on the sweep, believing he has safety help over the top to cover Ricardo Louis.

As the play develops, Braden Smith pulls to the left which is normally an indicator he is pulling on a run-play. He actually pulls half way to set up pass-protection on the left side of the pocket. Louis takes off to the end zone as Barber runs a wheel-route. Jeremy Johnson has a 2-read option based on which player the safety covers. The safety elects to pick up Barber coming out of the backfield as Louis is left alone in the end zone. Johnson delivers a pass from a clean pocket for the 15-yard touchdown.

Stat, you would be a good one to answer this. A lot has been made of JJ not throwing the ball downfield against UGA. Most of the blame has been laid on the coaches. I wonder how many of those plays actually had a deep receiver, but Jeremy just dumped the ball off short either because he couldn't read the play or didn't have confidence that he could make the throw.

I loved this play, JJ executed the read perfectly and threw pass spot on.

If anyone has been watching the Panthers, I hope CGM has been checking out some of Shula's offense with the weapons he has there now. Panthers ran a play action WR screen, where Cam threw a side arm rocket to the WR after the fake to Stewart. Then a couple of plays later, did a WR screen fake, Cam turns and throws a dart to the WR on a back side slant. Panthers O is clicking along.

Archived