Looking for suggestions for cool things to do in New Orleans.

tiger88

Going to New Orleans over the weekend and into next week and I know there are a lot of folks here who have probably been there a bunch and I was hoping you might be able to suggest some really cool things to do or see. Not really into Jazz.

We are staying in he French Quarter. We have plans to go to the Red Fish Grill, Café Dumonde (Everyone else wants to go. Is it really that special?), and a Cemetery Tour.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Art galleries or shops, voodoo related history, historical things, etc. We do like to drink a little so anywhere that has a locally famous drink would be cool too.

TIA

You could go check out this new billboard ...

CUdqWBNUkAA-4Lh.jpg

;)

On a serious note ...

Dinner:

Cochon (traditional cajun food)

930 Tchoupitoulas Street

(504) 588-2123

Tommy's (Italian)

746 Tchoupitoulas Street

(504) 581-1103

Eleven79

1179 Annunciation St.

(504)299-1179

Jacques-Imo's Cafe

8324 Oak St

504-861-0886

Rock-n-Sake (sushi)

832 Fulton St.

(504)581-7253

Galatoire's

209 Bourbon St.

(504)525-2021

GW Fin's

808 Bienville St.

(504)581-3467

Drago's (in the Hilton Hotel)

2 Poydras St.

(504)584-3911

Breakfast:

Cafe Du Monde - Beignets and Au Lait

Luke

333 St Charles

(504) 378-2840

Bluebird Café

3625 Prytania Street

(504) 895-7166

Ruby Slipper

200 Magazine St

(504) 525-9355

Night Life:

• Bourbon St. (Pat O's – Hurricanes, Tropical Isle, Jean Laffitte's blacksmith shop)
  • F&M's (late night 1:00 am and on)
  • Bridge Lounge
  • Bombay Club

Shopping:

• French Quarter - Look for the local shops - artists, metal workers, antique dealers ... there's few left ... but you can find a gem. Talk to the owners, their stories, the history, fascinating.
  • Magazine St. (Uptown) - lots of funky shops, cafes and art
  • More Mainstream: River Walk Shopping Center, Canal Place Shopping Center

Have fun ... NOLA is a dirty city but a blast!

I second Drago's for chargrilled oysters. Skip the crowds at Cafe DuMonde and go to Morning Call for beignets( the one we went to was in Metarie but there is another one near the City Park). I also like to make a trip to Central Grocery for some olive salad.

Royal Street has some really cool art galleries on it. The Blue Dog gallery is there. Also, in Jackson Square is a Katrina museum...pretty neat. Also, check out the Audubon Insectarium...eat a chocolate covered bug.

I second Drago's for chargrilled oysters. Skip the crowds at Cafe DuMonde and go to Morning Call for beignets( the one we went to was in Metarie but there is another one near the City Park). I also like to make a trip to Central Grocery for some olive salad.

Royal Street has some really cool art galleries on it. The Blue Dog gallery is there. Also, in Jackson Square is a Katrina museum...pretty neat. Also, check out the Audubon Insectarium...eat a chocolate covered bug.

Royal Street also has a really interesting memorabilia store(ranging from sports, literature, history and everything in between). All of the stuff is super expensive, but it's fun to look around at what's available.

We've always just walked around...a lot...without any real plan. Just popped in and out of places that looked cool.

Pack some good walking shoes.

I would say check out Lafitte's Blacksmith shop, one of the oldest bars in the country. Perfect little getaway with awesome hurricanes. But someone recently told me they have gone the way of a club type atmosphere.

Port of Call and Yo Mama's both have awesome burgers. I believe PoC has a better reputation, but it's always packed.

Much appreciation for the input so far. I am checking the web and a lot of these things are on the to do lists, but getting opinions here will help me decide where to go.

I went to the Sugar Bowl in 2004 but we were in and out in about 24 hours, and the French Quarter was a blur on gameday. :)

My advice: get out of the Quarter. It's a neat place, and you should spend some time there, but if you want to see what New Orleans is really about then explore Uptown and Mid-City. Let me know what type of food you're looking for and I'll tell you the best options, and hopefully places with happy hours. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Cajun, seafood, sushi, thai, korean. Anything like that or really anything highly recommended. There aren't many cuisines we don't love if it's a top notch restaurant.

Cajun, seafood, sushi, thai, korean. Anything like that or really anything highly recommended. There aren't many cuisines we don't love if it's a top notch restaurant.

What no strip joints???? j/k 88

Jamie Hayes gallery for art to take home. Apple Barrel in the Marigny for happy hour, dinner at Adolfo's upstairs after, bars around there after that. Carousel Bar in Hotel Monteleone for cocktails. Lunch at Dookie Chase. <- Do this.

Okay. The Red Fish Grill was very Good. They have a Cat 5 Hurricane that was tasty. I had a gumbo with alligator sausage that was tasty and a jambalaya risotto that was deeeeelicious! Everyone cleaned their plates.

Dragos oysters were good, but their dishes were so-so and the waitress violated one of my pet peeves. I asked if I could get the red fish blackened and she said yes, and it wasn't. It was good, but not blackened $#@÷×$#*%$d!

Had lunch at a old coffee pot something or another that Guy Fieti (sp?) visited and had awesome gumbo and crab balls.

Beignets and cafe du monde are totally overrated. Give me a glazed donut any day of the week.

Advice to all, never go to new orleans on thanksgiving weekend aka "Bayou Classic Weekend". Our waiter at the Red Fish told us he thought it was the most dangerous weekend of the year. There were 4 shootings over 24 hrs or so in the quarter including one death. We stayed at the Mariott on Canal St and at around 930pm on Saturday we were having drinks in the lobby bar while watching the Stanford game and shots were fired just outside the hotel on Canal St leading to a rush of humanity into the hotel lobby that freaked everyone out and had people hitting the floor and momentarily running for their lives. You live and you learn.

I might go for a Sugar Bowl or business, other than that you can keep New Orleans. It has it's awesome history and features, but it has become a real cess pool or always was one. Even after the weekend traffic cleared out there was a murder down the street from our hotel Monday night at 540 pm. at Canal and Rampart.

Okay. The Red Fish Grill was very Good. They have a Cat 5 Hurricane that was tasty. I had a gumbo with alligator sausage that was tasty and a jambalaya risotto that was deeeeelicious! Everyone cleaned their plates.

Dragos oysters were good, but their dishes were so-so and the waitress violated one of my pet peeves. I asked if I could get the red fish blackened and she said yes, and it wasn't. It was good, but not blackened $#@÷×$#*%$d!

Had lunch at a old coffee pot something or another that Guy Fieti (sp?) visited and had awesome gumbo and crab balls.

Beignets and cafe du monde are totally overrated. Give me a glazed donut any day of the week.

Advice to all, never go to new orleans on thanksgiving weekend aka "Bayou Classic Weekend". Our waiter at the Red Fish told us he thought it was the most dangerous weekend of the year. There were 4 shootings over 24 hrs or so in the quarter including one death. We stayed at the Mariott on Canal St and at around 930pm on Saturday we were having drinks in the lobby bar while watching the Stanford game and shots were fired just outside the hotel on Canal St leading to a rush of humanity into the hotel lobby that freaked everyone out and had people hitting the floor and momentarily running for their lives. You live and you learn.

I might go for a Sugar Bowl or business, other than that you can keep New Orleans. It has it's awesome history and features, but it has become a real cess pool or always was one. Even after the weekend traffic cleared out there was a murder down the street from our hotel Monday night at 540 pm. at Canal and Rampart.

I disagree with your waiter. I've heard people say the same thing about crime during Essence Fest, but those sentiments are more grounded in racism than facts. With that being said, New Orleans has always had a problem with crime. It's just that typically, the high-tourist areas are shielded from it.

The Quarter is dirty, and is so geared towards tourists that it loses much of the allure it would otherwise have. But so many people incorrectly perpetuate the notion that New Orleans is reducible to the Quarter in general, and Bourbon Street in particular, that many visitors never realize the more accurate depiction of the city that can be seen just outside of that small part of the city. I wouldn't give up on the city yet; I'd just approach it differently.

Haha. I think my parents made a trip during the Bayou Classic one year. They didn't feel safe. There are warnings in some hotels to either keep your wallet in your front pocket or to wrap a rubber band around your cash(to cause friction). This goes year round.

I've never had anything but the oysters at Drago's, so I have no opinion of the other food.

I disagree with your waiter. I've heard people say the same thing about crime during Essence Fest, but those sentiments are more grounded in racism than facts. With that being said, New Orleans has always had a problem with crime. It's just that typically, the high-tourist areas are shielded from it.

The Quarter is dirty, and is so geared towards tourists that it loses much of the allure it would otherwise have. But so many people incorrectly perpetuate the notion that New Orleans is reducible to the Quarter in general, and Bourbon Street in particular, that many visitors never realize the more accurate depiction of the city that can be seen just outside of that small part of the city. I wouldn't give up on the city yet; I'd just approach it differently.

Well, I agree with what you're saying afa the city overall. However, the waiter was referring strictly to Bourbon St. and the surrounding area of the quarter, and there was a nasty vibe out. When we left the restaraunt, and walked back to the hotel there were nasty exchanges everywhere between the rival schools and it was early. They had at least 4 NOPD Officers working our hotel to keep the hotel and lobby clear and that was on top of hotel security. Friday and Saturday night there were cops and state patrol plastered on nearly every block of bourbon and canal st and there were still mutiple shootings.

I'm telling you, when the people rushed our lobby, we nearly crapped our pants, lol, I was waiting for the guys with guns to come in behind them. They looked liked they were running for their lives, plenty of screaming, shots in the background (some people said they heard them. They were across the street.), etc. Then at 4:20 am two people were shot a block up from the hotel. This is a 4 star hotel. I know, big whippee.

We ventured into the garden district and beyond and changed hotels Sunday night to the Hyatt on Loyola for my wife's business stuff so I know what you mean about the quarter is not representative of N.O. Parts of the city are beautiful! The quarter has it's beauty as well. However, I like my tourist destinations a little safer in general.

Did you check out any cool shops?

We checked out a few on Royal St., mostly art shops that were cool. On Saturday morning we spent over an hour walking around Jackson Square looking at the local artists who were hanging their work on the fences and that was awesome.

As we walked back to the hotel we came across this duo playing music that was awesome! Two girls. One played the heck out of an acoustic guitar, the other a violin, and both were hooked up to amps. They were jamming , "Who's crying now" by Journey when we came up and it was something.

After the Saturday night incident my wife was not much for the quarter anymore so we trashed plans to go back and look at some more art. I was going to get a small piece, but oh well.

Monday the N.O. Museum of Art was closed but they have a sculpture garden that was open and it is well worth a walk through snd the area is lovely, although we rnded up driving on the walking and biking track and that was awkward, lol.

Archived